I'm really a guitarist but my dad has a bass and sometimes I mess around with It so I wanna ask you bassists what are some really difficult things somebody can do on a bass
play it properly
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
playing classical thump
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by hawking_hole
LES CLAYPOOL, he is like the Yngwie of bass... no joke...

No, that's Billy Sheehan. Both mindlessly wank on their instruments with no emotion. Les Claypool has emotion. That emotion is odd and hard to place most times, but it's there.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n
No, that's Billy Sheehan. Both mindlessly wank on their instruments with no emotion. Les Claypool has emotion. That emotion is odd and hard to place most times, but it's there.

Both Sheehan and Malmsteen put a huge amount of emotion into their playing. Maybe if it is of a kind you cannot access, so be it. But I find they produce some beautiful music. Quite frankly, I prefer virtuosic playing to the classic 'emotional' playing (pentatonic with bends every other note). I find it is far more entrtaining to listen to, and conveys far more emotion to me.

It is just a matter of translating it, as it were. Some speak the language, some don't. A (bad) anology from my point of view is the classic emotional playing being pointing and grunting, while shredding is flawless italian.

Everyone can understand the meaning in pointing and grunting, but you can express yourself far more deeply with a true language. I just find that shredding has as much, if not more emotion that classic emotional solos.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by srvflood
playing classical thump

And basiclly any other Wooten song.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
Quote by t3hrav3n

the "no emotion in music" statement is probably the biggest load of crap in music it's untrue.
Dunno, some of the Victor Wooten stuff is challenging, but I would have to go with Jaco Pastorius (on a fretless), otherwise check out other bassists like Ricard Bona, and stuff, they play some complicated stuff. You want hard, try classical upright bass. Mainly pieces like the Koussevitsky and the Bottesini stuff.
Quote by iplaydabass
Dunno, some of the Victor Wooten stuff is challenging, but I would have to go with Jaco Pastorius (on a fretless), otherwise check out other bassists like Ricard Bona, and stuff, they play some complicated stuff. You want hard, try classical upright bass. Mainly pieces like the Koussevitsky and the Bottesini stuff.

Hell yes! I'm working on those now.
As far as electric bass goes, the hardest and most rewarding thing you can do is write basslines that make the band sound like gold.
Got Bass?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
write a good bassline.

Best possible answer...
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
How about flamenco on bass? Carles Benavent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZjvSSGkUCg
(a solo he takes during a gig with Chick Corea)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjcNM9I2Pks&feature=related
(playing with Paco de Lucia, premier flamenco guitarist--it doesn't get much tougher than this--you can hear Carles doubling Paco's lines but one octave lower, then jumping off doing fills and embellishments)
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Play 5:15's solo by John Entwistle. As Roger Daltrey said, he hits a million notes at once.
Quote by hawking_hole
LES CLAYPOOL, he is like the Yngwie of bass... no joke...

Is he not IN the second Bill and ted movie?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yup, and they lost the freakin' battle of the bands to Wyld Stallyons

I blame the fact he wasn't playing The Rainbow Bass

Most Bogus
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by CollinPlaysBass
64th notes at 200 bpm

with 1 finger

Someone once told me that playing songs with 4 finger picking is pretty hard at first

Basically anything by Victor Wooten is difficult to play
~Insert Signature Here~
Moonlight Sonata by Stu Hamm
Quote by bootyguard
Or when my parents found out that i was having sex in my car my mom let me know cause she started making me 2 sandwhiches i was like "why 2?" and shes like "well you've been doing a lot of exercise recently". my face literally looked like this
Quote by t3hrav3n

Billy Sheehan looks very, very happy when he's "mindlessly wanking", and last time I checked, happiness is an emotion. There's more to emotion than blues scales, playing slow, chords, closing your eyes, bending, vibrato, and making funny faces. People who play with "emotion" will have crappy shows when they're not in the mood, buy guys like Yngwie and Billy will give you 100% every night.

IMO (not saying this is your case), I think people play the "play with no emotion" card because they can not and will never be able to play at that level and they need to justify that fact by knocking those players down a peg (i.e. 'psssh I don't want to play like that, they're just wanking, no emotion... yeah, that's what I'm gonna keep telling myself!'). It's like the instrument equivalent of rappers' concept of "you be hatin'" - except playing shred takes time, effort, skill, and talent, whereas rap... is another story for another time.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
rap... is another story for another time.

Am i sensing a blog?

But on the no emotion thing i agree for everyone but Michael Angelo Batio. He is the probably the most technically proficient guitarist in history. But Everything he does feels hollow, i can't hear anything but time changes, shredding and six different guitars stuck together.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Last edited by sven_cliffy at Mar 6, 2008,
hmmmmm MAB is just something that cant be explained but who knows maybe for him he is getting emotions out through what he plays u cant get into the "mindless wankage" guitarists and bassists minds therefore you shall never know if there are emotions or not.

/that discussion

writing that perfect bass line that sits in the groove perfectly
I am me. Live with it.
Grr! Why is it always Yngwie? The kid isn't even that good, technically. There are dud notes everywhere and he's quite untight too. Even on record.
look up some symphony x basslines. like in the dragon's den. thomas miller is amazing.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Pikka Bird
Grr! Why is it always Yngwie? The kid isn't even that good, technically. There are dud notes everywhere and he's quite untight too. Even on record.

And he toatally lifted his image from Richie blackmore.

he's still doss, though.