Page 1 of 2
Ok,
I am not thinking in any specific order currently,
but I was wondering if you guys think that this is a good set-up.
I am planning on buying a 75-100 watt amp (solid-state OR tube), and the rest would go to pedals and other things.
What do you guys think of the following pedals

Dunlop EVH Wah Wah Pedal - $193-300
MXR M-133 Microamp - $70-130
Digitech JamMan - $300-450
Line 6 Pod X3 - $400-550
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory - $100-150
Digitech Whammy IV - $200-250
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive - $50-100
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay - $220-300
Danelectro DJ-13 French Toast - $40-60
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff - $90-120

Also, are these amps good?

Line 6 Spider III 75 watts
Marshall MG100DFX
Kustom HV100

I have been saving up, so money is not the problem at the moment. (I have about $3,000 I can spend).
------------
OhMyGosh123
what kind of music do you play? are all those pedal NECESSARY?? I personally think that the line 6 spiders suck but thats my opinion same thing with mg100 i bought one and returned it 5 days because it sounded to digital. if your gonna buy an amp buy a tube amp.
Why would you get all those effects, a pod, and a spider? theres no purpose for all that.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
You wont need all those effects. If you are going to spend $3000 you can get some really nice stuff. not just a bunch of junk. What type of music do you play?
Why on earth would you want to spend Over $2 grand on pedals but only spend $300 bucks on an amp......

Put the cash into a really good tube amp and pedal wise a overdrive pedal, delay pedal and wah wah pedal and your set.....

And words of wisdom if just one of your pedals cost more then your amp there is a big issue there.....
I play most types of rock,
I really like the tone and the distortion of Van Halen, and Tom Morello (of RATM, etc), Angus Young, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, um... and I guess I sorta want the distortion of the Alkaline Trio. I like the distortion in the song "Time to Waste" by alkaline trio.
So I hope that helps...
I also like a lot of variety. And I wasn't planning on getting ALL of those, just maybe the ones that were necessary.
------------
OhMyGosh123
Quote by Tom_hatton

Marshall MG100DFX

Oh my god, you are going to regret saying that. For a new amp, look at the Roland Cube 60, they're pretty good in my experience.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/roland-cube-60/12669

Well my friend has a microcube, and the distortion sound on that is sort of ****ty. If its like the microcube, then I don't think thats right for me. is it similar? they seem VERY similar
------------
OhMyGosh123
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Why on earth would you want to spend Over $2 grand on pedals but only spend $300 bucks on an amp......

ok, u have a good point.
What amp do you suggest that is about $2000 or less. I want a good amp with good dist. and a lot of power. Im mostly looking for the good sound.
------------
OhMyGosh123
For those styles get a Peavey JSX (head and avatar cab or 2x12 combo) and you don't need any of those ****ty distortion pedals.

Then get a whammy, wah, delay, and you will be set.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Everything you listed is terrible. You could afford a G-Force and a Mesa/Peavey/Orange/Carvin amp with your budget.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
For those styles get a Peavey JSX (head and avatar cab or 2x12 combo) and you don't need any of those ****ty distortion pedals.

Then get a whammy, wah, delay, and you will be set.

+1
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
What amp specifically do you think works well for my music (I listed listed already).
------------
OhMyGosh123
Assuming you already have a guitar i recommend you buy a Mesa Boogie Mark IV combo or stack which is around the 2k mark give or take depending on where you live, if you buy used or new and your bargaining skills.

You seem to also want/need a delay and a wah. If you want really long delay times then buy a Line 6 dl-4 which can also work as a loop, if you play with shorter delay times and want a better tone then maybe an electro harmonix deluxe memory man is a good choice.

As for wah i recommend you check out some morley wahs like the bad horsie and maybe the fulltone wah. You don't need any Overdrives or distortions if you buy the Mark IV.

All the stuff you asked is ranging between decent and crap leaning more on the crap side, especially the amps. However you sound like an inexperienced player (no offense) and might be better off spending around 800$ on an Orange tiny terror head a 1x12 Avatar cab that will still be very good and that way you don't happen to make very expensive mistakes while you learn about gear like the one you were just about to make.
Quote by Chinomaster182
Assuming you already have a guitar i recommend you buy a Mesa Boogie Mark IV combo or stack which is around the 2k mark give or take depending on where you live, if you buy used or new and your bargaining skills.

You seem to also want/need a delay and a wah. If you want really long delay times then buy a Line 6 dl-4 which can also work as a loop, if you play with shorter delay times and want a better tone then maybe an electro harmonix deluxe memory man is a good choice.

As for wah i recommend you check out some morley wahs like the bad horsie and maybe the fulltone wah. You don't need any Overdrives or distortions if you buy the Mark IV.

All the stuff you asked is ranging between decent and crap leaning more on the crap side, especially the amps. However you sound like an inexperienced player (no offense) and might be better off spending around 800$ on an Orange tiny terror head a 1x12 Avatar cab that will still be very good and that way you don't happen to make very expensive mistakes while you learn about gear like the one you were just about to make.

Im not a inexperienced player, I just don't know a lot about gear. I'm trying to learn, and that's why I'm starting to use this site.
Also if you could describe the sound of the Mark IV, what band/artist/song/other amp would it sound like? Also, do you kno where I could find some sound samples of it.
------------
OhMyGosh123
for 3000 get a carvin V3 then get some effects most of those you dont even need, maybe like a memory man then a holy grail reverb, wah, and then a chours and or a phaser pedal.
Ok,
you guys have suggested the

Carvin V3
Peavey JSX 212
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

What other ones are there (that are good)
------------
OhMyGosh123
Quote by OhMyGosh123
Im not a inexperienced player, I just don't know a lot about gear. I'm trying to learn, and that's why I'm starting to use this site.
Also if you could describe the sound of the Mark IV, what band/artist/song/other amp would it sound like? Also, do you kno where I could find some sound samples of it.

Just look up sound clips.
Lamb of God and Fall Out Boy use them. That gives you an idea of it's versatility. Seriously though, check that and the Peavey JSX.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by OhMyGosh123

some wah...Vox?
MXR M-133 Microamp - $70-130
Digitech JamMan - $300-450
Digitech Whammy IV - $200-250
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver-$70
Line 6 DL-4-$250
some octave pedal to make the octave distortion with your muff and bd-2
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff - $90-120 (Sovtek Muff instead?)

There, I just made you a great rig, and to make it better, take the money you saved and buy a decent tube amp.
You'll be in heaven.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by OhMyGosh123

With inexperienced i meant inexperienced with gear not with your playing.

The Mesa Mark IV is a very very flexible amp, at the top of its gain it can do stuff like Lamb of God (they use them) and lots of shred artists use them (Petrucci for example), very nice lead tone and also rhythm. Its american voiced.

It can also do crunch like Van Halen great and its clean tone is very very nice, I've heard comparisons to Fenders all the time. It also has a 5 band active EQ for very precise tone shaping. The mesa boogie board has clips and they're all over the internet, i've heard some here in this forum, google your ass off. Also check out the Mesa site for more info.
cool dude = nub

go with the mark IV
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by cool_dude_14203
Get The Marshall MG100DFX and Zoom G2.1u Multi-Effect Pedal
They Rock Together

Wow...
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by OhMyGosh123
Ok,
you guys have suggested the

Carvin V3
Peavey JSX 212
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

What other ones are there (that are good)

If I may be so bold, I'd like to recommend the Peavey Classic 30 and the Peavey Windsor. Both need an overdrive to get up into metal territory, but the Windsor does that whole Van Halen thing very well, and the Classic 30 is a very versatile amp.

Granted, neither is as good as any of those I quoted, but for $600 dollars, they do all right. If money is really no issue, then by all means buy the Carvin or the Mesa, or the JSX, which are all excellent.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
you have 3,000 ****ing dollars, buy a sweet tube amp not a line 6 and a bunch of pedals.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Quote by Archeo Avis
Everything you listed is terrible. You could afford a G-Force and a Mesa/Peavey/Orange/Carvin amp with your budget.

What is a G-force?
------------
OhMyGosh123
Quote by OhMyGosh123
What is a G-force?

TC Electronics G-Force. It's a rack mounted effects processor; one of the best you can get without spending five grand.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
some good amps:
mesa boogie(just about any of them)
engl(i heard invader,fireball,and powerball were very nice.)
framus(dragon or cobra)
those peaveys earlier listed were good.
and if you really dont care to spend alot i have heard great things about blackheart
pedals:
maybe a line 6 delay station thingy,its pricey but has alot of different delays,or electroharmonix memory man.
mxr dyna comp
ur gonna want a graphic eq those can help alot,maybe a mxr 10 band eq
some nice wah,try diff ones out to see watcha like.
that should give you a pretty good sound lol.
you wont need a boost unless you get a lower end peavey or the blackheart
ps. since you say you are not experienced with gear just letting you know NEVER play a tube amp head without a cabinet.thats all
As for the pedals dude, I've learned to go by your OWN opinion.

Not to sound like a jerk, UG, but only YOU can decide what YOU think sounds good. Just take other's suggestions as something to try out.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Any of the high end Peavys, Mesas or ENGLs. Or a Laney.
Last edited by CanCan at Mar 19, 2008,
It's not the smartest move to drop some serious money on gear when you have little to no experience with what you're looking at. Are you recording, gigging, jamming with friends, or looking for something to play around the house?
Quote by OhMyGosh123
Ok,

Marshall MG100DFX

i hope this was meant to be a joke gone horribly, horribly wrong.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Mesa Road King/ Roadster, or a Mark IV
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by StriferDiem
H&K Switchblade.

I've heard that is good. How is that in comparison to the Carvin Legacy?
------------
OhMyGosh123
Quote by CanCan
Any of the high end Peavys, Mesas or ENGLs. Or a Laney.

Which Laney or Mesa or Peavey is best for lead solos like Joe Satriani or Vai?
------------
OhMyGosh123
Page 1 of 2