Hey, I'm from Europe, and I saw this awesome guitar at edroman.com that's decently priced, so I called them to ask about shipping etc. and they told me that it would cost 350 dollars to get it here in Holland O_o
This on a guitar of $999 is a big deal.

Why THE HELL is this so expensive, is there any way around it (say, relatives in the US that send it to me via regular mail) or, hmz, places in Europe that sell used guitars? ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
please link the guitar... i live in vegas so im like a ten minute drive from their place. just curious on what it is?
The likelihood is it's not going to be $350 but they'll just charge you that anyway so they can make some extra profit.

Look at sites which you buy gig tickets from, for example Ticketmaster. They charge about £3 for standard post in the UK when really to send an envelope should only cost 27p.

edit:

Oh by the way, don't couriers do a service where they'll pick it up for you too? Check oit out. If they do it could possibly be cheaper.
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
What shipping options have they quoted, is it air, or ground... what about the insurance.. you are buying a thousand dollar guitar... I bet the insurance is the best part of the shipping, and also the import duties will add more on top of this..

Ask for a breakdown of cost, and also check what your government will charge to let you bring it in... you will be dissapointed !

why can't you just send sth without the government etc messing with it? lame-ity

what couriers do you propose?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
You're buying a 1000USD guitar and are already complaining after you saw the 350USD shipping cost? ...just wait until VAT and customs gets added to that.

If you want to buy used, I'd recommend you check out e.g. eBay. Personally I use German eBay quite a lot. There's also a lot of good stuff on UK eBay, but they are ashamed of being European so many of them don't want to ship outside of their island.
Yes, they charge that much for shipping.

Then again, Ed Roman is a greedy bastard, so I'm not surprised.

i would recommend you to look around for better dealers than my old friend Scary Eyes McGee, though.

Seriously, if you want to order a guitar from the US, go to a trustworthy honest dealer, which Ed Roman is not. Just not.

Quote by bornfidelity

why can't you just send sth without the government etc messing with it? lame-ity

what couriers do you propose?

That's kind of the point with tax...

Anyway, what guitar are you looking for?

When looking for awesome guitars, try:

-www.ibanezrules.com; everything involving high end Ibanez and parts. The added bonus would be the comprehensive setups.

-www.umanovguitars.com; smaller store in NY, just very nice and helpful people.

-www.themusiczoo.com; a lot of high end gear. Based on Long Island and specializing in jackson, Charvel and Fender customshop.

-www.guitarasylum.com; another long island store with a pretty damn good inventory.

Just to list a few.

As for European/Dutch stores, try:

www.thomann.de; huge site

www.shred-factory.it; italian site with mostly high end gear

Rockpalace (The Hague); nice people, good pricing and decent inventory

Dirk Witte (Amsterdam/Utrecht); good size inventory

Sacksioni (Amsterdam); smaller store with nice gear

The Fellowship of Acoustics (Bergentheim); if you ever find yourself looking for something vintage or acoustic
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 1, 2008,
Shipping and handling isn't taxed.
He's essentially making more money off the sale of the guitar by vastly overcharging for the shipping but making the guitar itself appear cheaper than it's worth. If you can, get someone in the States to buy it for you then ship it to you.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by rocknrollrob
1. Fly to USA
2. Buy Guitar
3. Fly home

that may actually be cheaper,

on topic: they always do that, thats why your getting such a good deal on the guitar. See if you can get an idependant courier service to pick it up from the store and deliver it or find it somewhere else, it might be more expensive but the postage wont be as much, thus saving money
Well, I really want the Gibson Explorer, its a 2005 at edroman's, I hate the golden hardware on the 76 reissues that are available everywhere now. I'd rather have older ones ofc, but they're incredibly expensive.

I checked thomann, doesn't do it.

And have you seen the rates for flying to Vegas? Unholy **** man. $700 for a two way ticket would be a very good deal.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
This is the trick they use on ebay too. They sell things cheap then add extra to the shipping. What I do is buy it then arrange my own shipping via a courier that collects then ships it to me
What courier do you use?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
What courier do you use?

i've heard good things about dhl, they're international and very quick. good website for tracking, you might want to have a look at them. i think they're pretty good value as well.
hm, how heavy would an explorer + case be?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
What courier do you use?

I've used parcelforce, and then I found parcel2go.com which was cheaper (they used DHL)

Don't know if they do international shipping but maybe worth a look