Poll: Which one?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one?
Ceramic
0 0%
Alnico
5 100%
Voters: 5.
I bought one of the new Fender Champion 600's. As I planned, I upgraded the tubes and bought a Ted Weber 6" Ceramic speaker. Recently he started making 6" Alnico speakers again. Which type of magnet did the originals have in the 1950's? Has anyone else swapped speakers in this amp? Oh whatever shall I do? Bare in mind the type of amp it is.

Ceramic

Alnico

???????
Last edited by Gutch220 at Mar 1, 2008,
Original 50s ones had Alnico.

Get an Alnico one if possible, but try to make sure it has the biggest magnet you can find. Weber make a load of alnico speakers but some have 7oz magnets which give not much low end response... If you can't get an Alnico 6" with a decent sized magnet go for a fat-ass ceramic.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Original 50s ones had Alnico.

Get an Alnico one if possible, but try to make sure it has the biggest magnet you can find. Weber make a load of alnico speakers but some have 7oz magnets which give not much low end response... If you can't get an Alnico 6" with a decent sized magnet go for a fat-ass ceramic.

yea, currently Ted Weber has 7 oz Alnico magnets and his Ceramic magnets are 16 oz. (which I already own)
I would try and find a heavier alnico magnet but 6" alnico speakers are hard to find.
Ah cool.

Yeah I'd stick with the Ceramic if that's what you got... The Alnico will have tighter bass, poorer note definition, be smoother, have less headroom and add more natural compression, but seeing as the Ceramic is so much larger magnetwise I'd say it's the more logical speaker to have.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I have a 6" alnico Jensen in a similar amp from Harmony. It really does sound cool.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
How big is the speaker? and is it original to the amp or aftermarket?

I also have two Celestions Blues in an AC30 and they sound "good" to say the least. So that, along with the fact that they originally had alnico's, makes me want to look for a heavier alnico speaker. Maybe a speacial order is what I need.
It's original, dating back -I guess- to the mid 60's.

It looks similar to this reissue 8" version:

The magnet's really not very big at all.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I was going to buy a Champ 600 but instead i ended up in a big fight with the guy in the shop. He wanted to charge me 360euro for it at which point i told him everything in his shop was ridiculously overpriced and that i could get it on Thomann for 180euro (which is true). But back to the topic i don't know which was in the original amps but i've always preferred alnico speakers to ceramic
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
maybe I can buy an alnico, then use the other two 6" ceramic speakers to build a mini extension cabinet
Last edited by Gutch220 at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by Bossman123
I was going to buy a Champ 600 but instead i ended up in a big fight with the guy in the shop. He wanted to charge me 360euro for it at which point i told him everything in his shop was ridiculously overpriced and that i could get it on Thomann for 180euro (which is true). But back to the topic i don't know which was in the original amps but i've always preferred alnico speakers to ceramic

excellent! did you try it in ireland? which shop (just out of interest; it's probably too far from me anyway)?

back to the original question- i'd probably go alnico. not sure if I've tried any alnico speakers, but they're meant to sound more vintage, right? assuming it's a similar difference as that between ceramic and alnico pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Gutch220
maybe I can but an alnico, then use the other two 6" ceramic speakers to build a mini extension cabinet

we'll need pics of that if you do that!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?