Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a half stack, I currently use a Fender Tube Combo and it gets pretty frickin loud, but the projection just isn't cutting it on stage next to my friend's halfstack. I'm thinking somewhere in the $600-800 range, but other suggestions are welcome. The one I have in mind is the Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412, but I've heard complaints of it sounding too digital, or not sounding very powerful. I want something that's not only loud, but something you can really feel the power of. Suggestions? thanks.
it doesn't sound digital, the only digital part about it is the crap effects.

plainly, it just sounds like utter crap for such a higher priced amp.

what kind of music do you play? if it's metal, then no wonder why your friend's halfstack seems to cut through better... fender doesn't do metal well.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I've read/heard many times that the MG half stack isn't very durable, I'd suggest to look into Peavey, especially the Valveking, they are cheap, loud , sound good, and all-tube. It also depend on the kind of music you play.
Phail.

What do you play?

If your current amp is suited to what you play, you could buy a cab and have the combo going into the cab, then you'll have the same pushing power.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I'm looking for that heavy, punchy metal sound (metallica, maiden, etc)...the reason i got the fender to begin with was because i needed something loud quick, and my uncle's buddy was willing to sell me it for 100 bucks, so I got it and hooked up an electro-harmonix metal muff to that, and ive been getting along good enough with those. i played the b-52 all tube half stack at guitar center, and i loved the tone out of that thing, but its a thousand bucks.
Get a 6505 combo used.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
For Metallica and Iron Maiden I wouldn't get a 5150. I have one and don't think it's suited to that personally.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
The MG is fantastic amp for the price. You won't be disappointed.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis

you know you're the only one that ever said something like that? xD
you just want the guy to waste his money or are you serious?
xD
Idk what amp dude...I'm not in metal...but people like VKs a lot for metal and lots of other genres too. check them out.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
you just want the guy to waste his money or are you serious?

If he's too lazy to use the search feature and read the (literally) hundreds of threads that have already been made asking this exact same question, he deserves an MG.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis

I agree, The MG is a fine amp. Well priced and it sounds just like all the other Marshalls! Buy it!
Quote by Archeo Avis
If he's too lazy to use the search feature and read the (literally) hundreds of threads that have already been made asking this exact same question, he deserves an MG.

Oh come on, you were a n00b once, too! If he was an 06'er, that would be another story.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Oh come on, you were a n00b once, too!

...and when I made stupid threads (and I did), I was told to use the search feature.
hey archeo avis, how about shut the **** up and read where i not only asked for an opinion on the MG, but suggestions for OTHER amps. i figured like the abundance of threads that ask for a simple suggestion on a piece of equipment, no one would care enough to go bull**** mine. thanks.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by cjpiquette
hey archeo avis, how about shut the **** up and read where i not only asked for an opinion on the MG, but suggestions for OTHER amps. i figured like the abundance of threads that ask for a simple suggestion on a piece of equipment, no one would care enough to go bull**** mine. thanks.

Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
well I have a MG half stack my wife bought me as a gift.

Your money would be better spent somewhere else IMO the MG is very muddy the gain totally laxs if you are looking for metal gain you won't find it there all you are paying for is the marshall name not the quality I wouldn't play a gig with this amp. Just to avoid the embarassment of having such ****ty equipment.

There are alot better choices out there now a days. Look at B-52's or The new Bugera's for a couple hundred bucks more you could have a decent valve head. IMO

Check out Craigslist in your area you'll never know what you'll find theres a guy selling A JCM900 with cab for $1100.00 in my town. Go to the music store listen mess around with the the amps and compare before you buy. I would just hate to see you buy something with your hard earned money and be let down........
A ValveKing head and a cheap-ish 4x12 cab would sound much better, and cost less.
Quote by stevenexp
I agree, The MG is a fine amp. Well priced and it sounds just like all the other Marshalls! Buy it!

Yeah I agree too.
I dont understand how everyone hates that amp!
My band's lead guitarist used to have an MG (30 watts) and it sounded incredible.
------------
OhMyGosh123
Quote by OhMyGosh123
Yeah I agree too.
My band's lead guitarist used to have an MG (30 watts) and it sounded incredible.

It's official, n00bs are funnier than trolls.
So, you wish to get rid of a Fender TUBE combo, to get a MG100DFX uBeR sTaCk!.

You clearly haven't had your weetabix!
Quote by OhMyGosh123
Yeah I agree too.

i am worried by the unconvincing sarcasm,,,,,,
best signature ever
Quote by fleh
i am worried by the unconvincing sarcasm,,,,,,

Well I thought he was being sarcastic, but then I noticed he just joined today. I really don't thing he's being sarcastic. If he isn't may god have mercy on his soul.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by stevenexp

Bull ****ing ****. The MG isn't jack **** compared to a REAL Marshall like a Superlead or a JCM800.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by thankyougermany
Bull ****ing ****. The MG isn't jack **** compared to a REAL Marshall like a Superlead or a JCM800.

Read over his post, and the ones surrounding it, carefully.
Quote by thankyougermany

Yeah dude, chill out. And don't forget to change the batteries in your sarcasm detector, they're clearly dead.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Get a 6505 combo used.

Stays recomending my amp, Thus making my tone generic
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
Stays recomending my amp, Thus making my tone generic

It's not going to matter once you have you're ENGL. We talked about this already.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by cjpiquette
I'm looking for that heavy, punchy metal sound (metallica, maiden, etc)...the reason i got the fender to begin with was because i needed something loud quick, and my uncle's buddy was willing to sell me it for 100 bucks, so I got it and hooked up an electro-harmonix metal muff to that, and ive been getting along good enough with those. i played the b-52 all tube half stack at guitar center, and i loved the tone out of that thing, but its a thousand bucks.

You think that $1,000 is expensive for an all tube high gain half stack ??? For the record thats pretty cheap. Look into the Peavey Valveking and look into the B-52 at-112 or even the B-52 AT-212
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
It's not going to matter once you have you're ENGL. We talked about this already.

Ya SE Next year can;t wait
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
try a peavey valveking 100W head and the peavey vakveking 412 slanted
I think it's a bit overpriced but it's value for your money!
and seriously don't get the marshall MG series!
lol, ditching a tube amp for an MG.

Yikes
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by OhMyGosh123
Yeah I agree too.

lol...my friend owns MG 30 watt and my Ibanez TBX15R 15 watt sounds better xD
(but my ibanez su**s too xD )
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!