Hi everyone,

I've been playing guitar for roughly 10 months now and my guitar teacher has pointed out that my fingers spring off the fretboard way too far when they're not being used so I'm trying to kick the habit of doing it.

Right now I'm practing scales whilst being aware of not springing my fingers off the fretboard but with little luck. I was wondering if anyone has a alternative way of learning not to throw my fingers off the fretboard.

Thanks in advance.
Katar

Richwood RE135 Tree Of Life

Amp

Marshall MG 100HDFX
Quote by Daemonic-Daz
Hi everyone,

I've been playing guitar for roughly 10 months now and my guitar teacher has pointed out that my fingers spring off the fretboard way too far when they're not being used so I'm trying to kick the habit of doing it.

Right now I'm practing scales whilst being aware of not springing my fingers off the fretboard but with little luck. I was wondering if anyone has a alternative way of learning not to throw my fingers off the fretboard.

Thanks in advance.

Practice as SLOOOW as you need to, don't use any energy to pull your fingers off the strings, let the tension of the string PUSH YOUR finger off fret.

*edit*

Also, only push the strings down with AS MUCH force as your NEED to make a sound. Don't mash down the strings, that's a waste of energy.

My guitar teacher told me both of these things.
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Mar 1, 2008,
I think it's just a matter of practice. If you practice scale-motions long enough with your fingers, the problem just stops after a while.

I never even noticed this until this kid once saw me playing and said "wow!, your fingers don't come off the fretboard at all!" - a weird comment to make, but every comment helps feed the good old ego.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
I Learned Timeless Winter By Into Eternity Because You Dont Have Time To Lift You Fingers So There For You Have To Stop
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER