Chaise Boogie
So So Ska
2,305 IQ
I'm thinking about attempting to make a baby with the two. I mean, they mix punk with every other god damn genre out there, why not make bluegrass?

Could it be like, Bluegrass but with distortion and more yelling?
Or Punk with a twang and fast guitars?

I think I'll try to cover a good bluegrass song and if I can morph it into a punk song, then I'll assume we have a winner.

Yay for spring break!
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
Are you talking about folk punk?

I know blue grass and folk are different
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
Bluegrass + Distortion = crap. So I doubt what you're thinking will work.

You could play uptempo buegrass jams about fun and sincere things that reflect your personality. Everyone could drink moonshine and jig along.

That would actually be fun.
Chaise Boogie
So So Ska
2,305 IQ
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Bluegrass + Distortion = crap. So I doubt what you're thinking will work.

You could play uptempo buegrass jams about fun and sincere things that reflect your personality. Everyone could drink moonshine and jig along.

That would actually be fun.

No son, I think it can be done. I think it should be more punk, with some bluegrass influences. But I've been listening to some bluegrass, and all the songs sound the same.

It will be hard.
Kozlic
Slovenia's country singer
1,269 IQ
that would be perfect
I like bluegrass and I LOVE punk
if you succeed lemme know alright?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Last edited by Kozlic at Mar 1, 2008,
Chaise Boogie
So So Ska
2,305 IQ
Only god damn problem, is I have no idea what scales they use. I can pick that fast, but I don't know what to play, exactly.
hooligan07
hooligan07
911 IQ
Quote by Chaise Boogie
Only god damn problem, is I have no idea what scales they use. I can pick that fast, but I don't know what to play, exactly.

ask the people in the theory forum
they might be able to help out
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by Chaise Boogie

The folks in Musician Talk (including myself) would tell you that scales aren't very genre-specific at all. Scales aren't usually used to write music, they're more often used to analyze music. Almost all western music is based on the major scale and its modes. Bluegrass is no exception. Most bluegrass songs are in major keys.

Edit: as far as what to play, you'll probably mostly just be picking arpeggios fast.
Last edited by werty22 at Mar 1, 2008,
Mav-16
UG Senior Member
372 IQ
Quote by werty22
The folks in Musician Talk (including myself) would tell you that scales aren't very genre-specific at all. Scales aren't usually used to write music, they're more often used to analyze music. Almost all western music is based on the major scale and its modes. Bluegrass is no exception. Most bluegrass songs are in major keys.

Edit: as far as what to play, you'll probably mostly just be picking arpeggios fast.

yep and arpeggios ar fun and easy too
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
They're called the Can Kickers.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
Quote by whyvern
I love the Can Kickers
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
original=punk
Banned
2,482 IQ
Dude, learn flatpicking on an acoustic before you attempt bluegrass. It's such a useful skill. Iluvpowerchords' idea sounds much better than throwing distortion on bluegrass tunes, that qwuite frankly sounds stupid, and is basically along the same lines as a punk band covering a Top 40 song.
Chaise Boogie
So So Ska
2,305 IQ
Quote by original=punk
Dude, learn flatpicking on an acoustic before you attempt bluegrass. It's such a useful skill. Iluvpowerchords' idea sounds much better than throwing distortion on bluegrass tunes, that qwuite frankly sounds stupid, and is basically along the same lines as a punk band covering a Top 40 song.

Bluegrass has a very unique sound and style and can, and I swear by it, be hybridizeded with punk.

Give me some time, I'll have it figured out.
Beakwithteeth
Wild and Reckless Hobo
671 IQ
Quote by Chaise Boogie
But I've been listening to some bluegrass, and all the songs sound the same.

That's a very ignorant statement and idk why you would want to mix a genre you don't like with one you do, it seems like you would be watering down something you enjoy.

On a positive note, it can be done, the only band I know of is Split Lip Rayfield but they're pretty good. Bluegrass can be mixed with anything.

Also it mostly uses major scales.
crustyreed
493 IQ
Oh **** i was thinking i know a guy up here who plays banjo. Nutty.
neidnarb11890
gentle collapsing
270 IQ
Quote by whyvern

And they're awesome
Chaise Boogie
So So Ska
2,305 IQ
Quote by Beakwithteeth
That's a very ignorant statement and idk why you would want to mix a genre you don't like with one you do, it seems like you would be watering down something you enjoy.

On a positive note, it can be done, the only band I know of is Split Lip Rayfield but they're pretty good. Bluegrass can be mixed with anything.

Also it mostly uses major scales.

I'm not, I like Bluegrass. It's just, I don't listen to it enough to really pick it apart.
Beakwithteeth
Wild and Reckless Hobo
671 IQ
Quote by Chaise Boogie
I'm not, I like Bluegrass. It's just, I don't listen to it enough to really pick it apart.

Listen to some more progressive bluegrass. Don't be scared by me using the word "progressive" in a punk forum, it just means it is more than all fast paced I IV V progressions and stuff.
newyorkdolls138
min
681 IQ
Bluegrass with lots of drums would sound pretty punk to me.
Buy a banjo.
I did.
I know I did.
I ****ing did.

It' great
Jizz is where it is
Beakwithteeth
Wild and Reckless Hobo
671 IQ
Bluegrass is ok with drums, I have heard a few bands with them, they just have to be pretty minimal.