the title is just to shock everyone a bit , although it is kinda what i'm thinking about.
let me explain.
i curently have a fender blues deluxe and while i like the clean tone, it bores me sometimes. i notice that sometimes i simply want a different timbre, something i can not achieve with EQ'ing, changing pickup position, etc.
i like having a different kind of tone from time to time.
another thing is that my fender is too damn loud for home practice,
and it's too heavy aswell.

so i have been looking at the Line 6 Vetta II head to replace my fender. it's a solid state, so i assume it will give me good tone at very low volumes aswell.
why the head ? because of portability. the combo weighs 30 kilos, that's horrible.

I hear it sounds very good and the things i like about it is that you have all the effects you need built-in (no need for a pedalboard), and the amp modeling.
i'd make a small cab for it for smaller jams and stuff, when i don't need a big cab that i have to lug around.

what do you guys think ?
thanks in advance
Last edited by The red Strat. at Mar 4, 2008,
I think you're just trying to upset me.

That said, the Vettas are supposed to be great amps. I'm not sure that you're going to get better tone out of it at lower volumes just because it's SS, though. I have a JC-77 that gets loud fast, and really doesn't sound great until it is pretty loud.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
for the price of the vetta why not get the real thing? instead of trying to copy a good amp?
so i assume it will give me good tone at very low volumes aswell.

Mediocre tone at all volumes. The Vetta sounds thin and digital compared to the amps it models.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Throw some exceptional tubes in your old amp. It will really make it sound like a new animal. Sorry I just have a hard time recommending solid state. And this isn't ment in any way to offend the ss owners.
Quote by slatsmania
I think you're just trying to upset me.

That said, the Vettas are supposed to be great amps. I'm not sure that you're going to get better tone out of it at lower volumes just because it's SS, though. I have a JC-77 that gets loud fast, and really doesn't sound great until it is pretty loud.

what makes you think that ?

i just presumed that because transistors don't need to be pushed to get a great tone.
you have a point there.

Quote by stevenexp
for the price of the vetta why not get the real thing? instead of trying to copy a good amp?

because i don't like having the same kind of tone all the time.
you can't make an AC30 sound like a Twin for example.

Quote by modernp
Throw some exceptional tubes in your old amp. It will really make it sound like a new animal. Sorry I just have a hard time recommending solid state. And this isn't ment in any way to offend the ss owners.

yeah of course it will, but after a few months, the tone will start boring me again...

SS can be really good sometimes, i think you're just traumatized by those small SS practice amps
Last edited by The red Strat. at Mar 1, 2008,
^ I'm just joking with you but, yeah, my JC doesn't sound it's best until the volume's up a little bit. Too loud for apartment dwelling.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
ah ok

lol.
"you don't need a halfstack
you don't need 100W."
it's 300 actually

hmm, i guess i'll have to try it out to see how it sounds at very low volumes. (not that i was't planning to try it out )

thanks for the responses so far everyone
get an attenuator and get your blues junior retubed.
Guitars
Squire Strat
1959 Gibson HummingBird Acoustic
1999 Gibson SongBird Acoustic
Pedals
Bad Monkey
Line 6 Pocket Pod
JH-1 Wah (Jimi Hendrix Sig Wah)
Amp
All Tube Marshall JTM-30
go for it. the vettas quite impressive. if you're not to bothered about having a head, cab configuration i was playing with a pod rack unit and I was very impressed, and it'd save you a fair few quid. it would be great for live use. i've yet to find many applications for where a valve amp would be much more useful than a SS.
Don't ever go from tube to SS. Just don't.

Get an amp that makes you happy. And let me assure you, a halfstack will be a LOT worse than a 30 kilo combo.

My 4x12 cabinet weighs 80 pounds.
High as tits
cant you just get a digital effects thing then and run that through a decent amp? because really not all the amp models will sound great lol
Im quite proud of that LOL

Quote by Unreal445
i found it funny that the pit reported it faster than sky news

Beneath The Fallen
I think you've just got the wrong amp.

...Unless you're just very indecisive, and can't figure out what sound you like.
Quote by ClassicRock1169
get an attenuator and get your blues junior retubed.

but that would still give me the tone a BD can get, and nothing more.

Quote by uldhppi

could you elaborate ?

Quote by thedonutman
Why don't you just get another valve amp?

because that will also give me the same timbre all the time.
even a mark IV can't sound like an AC30 or Dumble.

Quote by LeeSmellyFinger
cant you just get a digital effects thing then and run that through a decent amp? because really not all the amp models will sound great lol

i could but that won't even give me half of the options a Vetta has.
have you actually tried a vetta ?

Quote by mr_hankey
I think you've just got the wrong amp.

...Unless you're just very indecisive, and can't figure out what sound you like.

i don't really think so because i really like my clean tone.

i know perfectly what sounds i like. the AC30 sound, the twin reverb cleans, the marshall crunch and lead tone, the cranked fender tweed tone, a dumble overdrive special,...

find me and amp that can give me all those tones and i'll be your e-slave for the rest of your life
Last edited by The red Strat. at Mar 2, 2008,
How about something like the spider valve?

Best of both worlds?

I havn't tried one, but I've heard a lot of good things.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Ah fair.

The Vetta just seems hella expensive. But I guess its the versatility and power you pay for...
yeah it's quite expensive but not if you compare it to the prices of all the amps and effects it models (of course they don't sound exactly like the real amps though)
and yeah, i think you also pay for the 300 watts. (which i don't mind, cause you can never have enough watts with SS )
Yeah it should have enough headroom not to sound like ass when cranked.

Although I've never been able to get the same dynamic response and feel on an SS amp...
the vetta is supposed to model that a bit too, although it obviously won't sound completely like a tube amp, but i'm willing to sacrifice that for versatility's sake

it actually models the harmonic overtones from a plexi for example too at high volumes !
What about the THD Bivalve or even the UniValve?

I got this from Harmony Central:
This amp is very sensitive to different guitars, pickups, and speakers, to say nothing of tube types. You can vary the sound any way you like and it will always be musical due to its class A configuration.

Sounds like your type of amp!
Real men don't need sigs.
300w Class A

EDIT: Oh, you weren't talking about the Vetta...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by The red Strat.

i know perfectly what sounds i like. the AC30 sound, the twin reverb cleans, the marshall crunch and lead tone, the cranked fender tweed tone, a dumble overdrive special,...

find me and amp that can give me all those tones and i'll be your e-slave for the rest of your life

Just do what normal people do, and buy them all.

Quote by dgervin839
You can vary the sound any way you like and it will always be musical due to its class A configuration.

Quote by dgervin839
What about the THD Bivalve or even the UniValve?

I got this from Harmony Central:

Sounds like your type of amp!

yeah, most tube amps are very responsive to changes, but they still sound like themselves no matter what, you know what i mean ?

thanks for your help though
and of course to everyone who has replied so far

Quote by mcw00t
300w Class A

EDIT: Oh, you weren't talking about the Vetta...

i was actually.

it isn't a class A amp, it's a solid state.

Quote by mr_hankey
Just do what normal people do, and buy them all.

haha, i thought about that but then i realized i'm not made of money

i didn't quite understand what that was supposed to mean either
Quote by stevenexp

The Vetta is a good amp. A good amp capable of copying a number of good amps (with varying degress of success).
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Why not go for a rack system?
If you have the money.
And want a veriety of different sounds.
If you want more tones, you can always buy three VJ's, and mod them to Fender, Vox, and Marshall-ish specs. Loads of fun!

If you find yourself underwhelmed with your Blues Delux, may I make a suggestion? Replace one or more of the preamp tube with a 12AT7. Just borrow one from a friend, and try it.

Finally...it's odd that you posted this. I traded my Palomino V16 for an old 60 watt Valvetronix head. Now, before everyone explodes, consider this: I have a Twin Reverb, and I have a Champ 600. I'm not starving for tube tone, but in the band I play in, the Valvetronix is better for our heavier tones than my Metal Muff through the Twin. Not to mention the simple flexability. It's good for practice, and inspiring to get new ideas and sounds from. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that ever a very very nice amp like the Vetta will give you the same satisfaction as a real anything that it's moddeling.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Mediocre tone at all volumes. The Vetta sounds thin and digital compared to the amps it models.

sounds like another kid hating on line 6 because everyone else on the forum hates the spider.

The vetta sound awesome, is a great studio amp, and has the better tone then some tube amps. not all the amps it models sound good tho, there are a few that sound thin and digital but if youve actually fooled around with the amp youd find its a great all round amp.

you might find one used for under 900 ive seen some at a local shop before
NEW GEAR:
Ibanez RG7420
Schecter CSH-1 Semi Hollowbody- W/ Duncans
Roland Microcube
B52 AT112 60 watt
Monster Cables

STOLEN:
Deluxe Double Fat Strat- Pewter
Gibson SG- w/ SD Invader
Line 6 Flextone II w/floorboard
Quote by the.spine.surfs
If you want more tones, you can always buy three VJ's, and mod them to Fender, Vox, and Marshall-ish specs. Loads of fun!

If you find yourself underwhelmed with your Blues Delux, may I make a suggestion? Replace one or more of the preamp tube with a 12AT7. Just borrow one from a friend, and try it.

Finally...it's odd that you posted this. I traded my Palomino V16 for an old 60 watt Valvetronix head. Now, before everyone explodes, consider this: I have a Twin Reverb, and I have a Champ 600. I'm not starving for tube tone, but in the band I play in, the Valvetronix is better for our heavier tones than my Metal Muff through the Twin. Not to mention the simple flexability. It's good for practice, and inspiring to get new ideas and sounds from. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that ever a very very nice amp like the Vetta will give you the same satisfaction as a real anything that it's moddeling.

why is that ?
i don't see how i would get less satisfaction from having the line 6 with a tweed tone dialed in as opposed to a real fender tweed for example ?

Quote by mrdeuce
sounds like another kid hating on line 6 because everyone else on the forum hates the spider.

The vetta sound awesome, is a great studio amp, and has the better tone then some tube amps. not all the amps it models sound good tho, there are a few that sound thin and digital but if youve actually fooled around with the amp youd find its a great all round amp.

you might find one used for under 900 ive seen some at a local shop before

do you think it sounds digital, or would it be hard to tell it's a modeler blindfolded ?

because the last thing i want, is a very digital sounding tone...
Last edited by The red Strat. at Mar 4, 2008,
Quote by The red Strat.
i don't see how i would get less satisfaction from having the line 6 with a tweed tone dialed in as opposed to a real fender tweed for example ?

Because a great amp is also a musical instrument. It's not only the sound, but the feel. The best modeling amps may be able to produce a convincing tweed tone, but they're not going to be able to provide the same feel. The same interactiveness.

A simulation -no matter how good- is never as satisfying as the real thing.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
To me it just sounds like you havent settled on what your sound is yet. Id keep the fender, for now, its a great amp, great cleans, figure out which way you wan tyour sound to move musically. Which direction, go on amp hunts. Try out a few modelers, find which settings best interest you and go in search of the real deal. Ive never tried the vetta, im pretty sure its not going to be a pile though, but i jsut wouldnt move to a modeler now ive gone valve. Just doesnt have the same feel and mojo.

Nowadays everyones just after there perfect sound. And its something I dont personally think a modeller is there to do, its just there to be versatile.
Quote by slatsmania
Because a great amp is also a musical instrument. It's not only the sound, but the feel. The best modeling amps may be able to produce a convincing tweed tone, but they're not going to be able to provide the same feel. The same interactiveness.

A simulation -no matter how good- is never as satisfying as the real thing.

That was my reply, but Slats put it better.

It feels different. A truely good tube amp has a sould of it's own that bites back.
Vetta is definitely one of the better SS amps I have used. Pretty versatile too but I think the greatest SS amp ever is the Roland Jazz Chorus but its kind of a one trick pony.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I've spent about 3 or 4 hours playing with a vetta II, and about 30 minutes playing with a Vetta II with some patch mod.

My thoughts on it were it's great. Not very heavy in weight if thats your concern. It has a very 4x12 tone when it comes to metal through an open back combo, which I found pretty impressive. The clean channels sounded pretty good, it's no fender tube amp, but it's got a good clean tone with about 2 miles of tweakablility. The modded Vetta II sounded 10x better than the original. Sounded much more realistic, not to say the original vetta II wasn't, but it was definatly improved.

The 2 amp deal is pretty cool. Now say if I wanted adam jones tone, pairing 2 VH-4's doesn't really work out at all despite that being his real rig, but you can mix and match other amps getting a ton of versatility and different tones.

I know you're more into blues stuff and I'm more into metal, so my test of the amp can't really go into too much depth about the clean and blues tones. I did play around with em for a little bit, but I found myself trying out all the metal models on it.

It's a lot to say about the amp, if it wasn't 1 in the morning I'd keep going on but I'm falling asleep as it is.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I played the vetta 2 for a good hour and a half when i saw it at the music store. It really is a great amp, best sounding amp i have ever tried if i do say so myself. (Comparing to mesa single rec and marshal JVM, the rest arnt in that league).

I say get it, cant really go wrong with a vetta.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13