So I'm playin my guitar yesterday, and I notice that on the lower corner of my pickguard, There's a thin layer of plastic, looks like seran wrap actually, and it's starting to peel off. Now I've fully peeled it off, and I don't know if this was such a smart idea. I mean, the plastic did have straches and marks on it which made my guitar look kinda old and used, and by peeling this layer of plastic off it's made my guitar look new, but at the same time, I've still got little strands of plastic sticking out from beneath the tone and volume knobs.

Did I totally destory my guitar and make it's resistance to rust or decay futile or something? I've only had a guitar for 2 months and I don't know much about keeping my guitar clean and caring for it, so did I make a major boo-boo or what? =S

I've got a Titan guitar, and it resembles a Fender Squier, cherry red with a white pickguard. Any help would be great, thanks.
You're supposed to peel that off. Most guitars come with it on.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
it's just there to protect it and keep it shiny while it's in transport and sitting in a store/warehouse. it's fine to take it off.
prevents scratching on new guitars
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
I hate that plastic so much... it's under all the knobs and screws and just doesn't want to come off!
Quote by whoismilan
I hate that plastic so much... it's under all the knobs and screws and just doesn't want to come off!

That may be true, bit peeling of all the bits of plastic on the various parts is one of the great things about getting a new guitar
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
just unscrew the nut around the volume and tone controls, and pull out the plastic, then pop it back on. It's not rocket surgery.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
remove the knobs and peel off the little bits of plastic
Wear the eye patch Bret, Wear the Funky Funky eye patch...

Quote by Tallman

You, sir, should be knighted.

Last edited by coolo : Today at 00:00 AM. Reason: ???
i actually didn't take it off of my truss-rod cover until i had had my guitar for about 6 months. i guess i was just lazy.
Is this thread for real? Are you some kind of retard?
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE

this coming from a person with a sig mentioning dragonforce in a good way.
Quote by ortrigger
i actually didn't take it off of my truss-rod cover until i had had my guitar for about 6 months. i guess i was just lazy.

Truss rod covers usually stay on, and in my opinion look far nicer, I'm guessing you mean like on an LP or SG?
Quote by ortrigger

*looks at threadstarter's avatar*
Quote by whoismilan

If you pull the knobs off (you need a bit of muscle) then it's easy to get off
Quote by _BucketHead_

+1
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by _BucketHead_

I don't think that's a good way to get them off.
Quote by metal Lover
I don't think that's a good way to get them off.

Of course it is. I've pulled knobs off guitars dozens of times, it's never going to do any damage. unless you'd prefer to stick a knife under the knobs to pick at plastic and scratch the guitar?
Quote by Sid McCall
just unscrew the nut around the volume and tone controls, and pull out the plastic, then pop it back on. It's not rocket surgery.

I lol'ed.
Quote by Sid McCall

What the hell is rocket surgery? LOL. I've heard of rocket science but uhhh...

Anyways, yeah the plastic comes off. Hate when it gets stuck under the tone and volume knobs, though.
You are really screwed if you pulled off that plastic. Now the guitar is going to fall apart.
Quote by ortrigger

to the first guy: dont be a dick... he didnt know. thats not his fault. he wanted advice, he came to a guitar site for said advice, and he gets flamed?

to the second guy, he like dragon force, its his preference. leave him alone
UG's HIPPIE
Quote by ze monsta
Truss rod covers usually stay on, and in my opinion look far nicer, I'm guessing you mean like on an LP or SG?

dude, i was talking about the plastic stuff on it. not the whole truss-rod cover.
Pickguard guard ^^.

It's okay to peel it off ... It eventually peels off by itself anyways.
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE

I lol'd

And yeah its just to stop damage when its sitting in a shop etc.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Quote by ortrigger

Are you defending the guy who didn't what the protective plastic that comes on almost anything that can scratch you buy brand new?

Dragonforce rocks. You must have peeled the protective plastic off something too and punched your pillow while crying until you fell asleep because you thought you had broke something.
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~
to the first guy: dont be a dick... he didnt know. thats not his fault. he wanted advice, he came to a guitar site for said advice, and he gets flamed?

to the second guy, he like dragon force, its his preference. leave him alone

LETS STOP THE HATE!!!

Seriously, its just plastic and Dragonforce, nothing to get angry over
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE

You really need to stop trolling on these threads, makes you look very immature. I'd suggest instead of coming here and making smartass remarks all the time you should play guitar and make better use of your time.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I was just kidding, if it sounded to harsh I apologize to the TS. When I got my first guitar I tried adjusting the action by moving the inserts in the saddle back and forth. Oh, intonation, thats what that is.
Quote by DSOTM80
You really need to stop trolling on these threads, makes you look very immature. I'd suggest instead of coming here and making smartass remarks all the time you should play guitar and make better use of your time.

Fag.
well after two years of having my ibanez i discovered that the plastic on truss rod covers is double layered :P
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Fag.

Thats all you could think of?
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by RockDJ
I took that film off once

it turned into two different guitars and broke... wow.

edit: wait holy crap thats one guitar, how did the body break in that manner... it split thickness wise... thats intense.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by RockDJ
I took that film off once

I feel for you mate, look what happened to mine.