So I have Parted Magic. I want to format my drive and reinstall Windows XP Media Center Edition. I'm... attaining... a CD, and I have a legal CD key (sticker on the side of my computer AND from a CD key finding program.)

If I wipe my ENTIRE drive (including the "compaq backup partition", will inserting the XP CD and entering my CD Key work?

Thanks
Last edited by wylde_overdrive at Mar 1, 2008,
As long as the key on your PC and from the key finder match and you havn't changed so much hardware that your key is invalid, it doesn't matter whether your install CD is genuine or backup or mounted ISO or whatever.

So yeah it will work fine.

Though I would advise against Partition Magic. XP has a perfectly fine disk formatter on the disk.
Gibson Les Paul Studio // BKP Nailbombs
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
Quote by JEEtoP
As long as the key on your PC and from the key finder match and you havn't changed so much hardware that your key is invalid, it doesn't matter whether your install CD is genuine or backup or mounted ISO or whatever.

So yeah it will work fine.

Though I would advise against Partition Magic. XP has a perfectly fine disk formatter on the disk.

Ya... they don't match up.. at all...

Why's that?
Assuming the key you got from the key finder is from the OS you currently have installed then that should be the valid one.

There's no way to find out if the PC case is valid apart from trying it, a chance you take.

If you havn't changed any hardware and are reinstalling the same version you already have then the key you got from the key finder will work. Or at least should work, i'm not gauranteeing anything.

If its a different version of Windows, you will need a new key.
Gibson Les Paul Studio // BKP Nailbombs
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
Quote by JEEtoP
Assuming the key you got from the key finder is from the OS you currently have installed then that should be the valid one.

There's no way to find out if the PC case is valid apart from trying it, a chance you take.

If you havn't changed any hardware and are reinstalling the same version you already have then the key you got from the key finder will work. Or at least should work, i'm not gauranteeing anything.

If its a different version of Windows, you will need a new key.

Same version of windows.

Eh, I'll take a chance, I always have a backup DVD.