I am looking for a new guitar. Right now I have a Peavy Predator, its a Strat look-alike. I have been looking around and I am now looking at a Epi. Les Paul Standard, Epi. SG, and a BC Rich Mockingbird. I am curious to what you think I should get. I am into playing blues rock, metal, nu metal and such genres.
i like the looks of the mockingbird and depending on how much you are willing to pay you can get a pretty nice one.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Mockingbird ST or one of the new epi SGs I'd say, never liked the feel of the les pauls
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
Try them out. If any of them feel wrong then rule it out.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
only get an old mockingbird, they're the best
with that you'll stand out

the epiphones are more iconic-looking but lots of people have them
Rockin' shit
i hate BC riches to death. and the mockingbird is very uncomfortable to me. i vote lp cause the sg's body is to small for me
Quote by yomoma21
i hate BC riches to death. and the mockingbird is very uncomfortable to me. i vote lp cause the sg's body is to small for me

Yeah I noticed that the SG's are very light compared to the other two.
Quote by CuttingJesse
Yeah I noticed that the SG's are very light compared to the other two.

and neck heavy. uncomfortable to gig with until you get used to it.
Quote by yomoma21

This isn't helpful since you are biased. But it is an opinion i guess.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
im biased towards SG, but i love them, im one of the few people i know who like SG basses
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
try them out. i think you'll like the les paul tone the most
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
In gr.8 we got into purple nurples so much that the school would suspend anyone they saw doing it. We had really good aim.
Everyone here is biased. Thats why it's best to try them out and see what feels best. Les pauls are heavy and some people don't like that, but they are my favourite guitars and the custom I have sounds incredible and looks gorgeous

Never been a fan of BC Rich but apparently the more expensive models are ok, just stay away from the warlock series
Mockingbird. If you don't get the Mockingbird ST I will find you and kick you in the nuts. Superior pickups, Original Floyd Rose, beautiful quilt and trust me, it is comfortable. I have played all three and the Mockingbird is amazing for the price.
Quote by metal Lover
Mockingbird. If you don't get the Mockingbird ST I will find you and kick you in the nuts. Superior pickups, Original Floyd Rose, beautiful quilt and trust me, it is comfortable. I have played all three and the Mockingbird is amazing for the price.

It may feel awesome do you, but why do you think there are so many types of guitars out there? It's not only because people want different sound, some people may not like the feel of certain guitars. For example i have tried to like telecasters but they don't feel RIGHT in my hands and therefore i won't have one.

As for the kicking in the nuts part. That doesn't help anybody. Plus you'd be too busy kicking tons of guitatist's nuts for buying anything different. So please, oh please, don't post such non-constructive comments. The rest of your message was fine about the pickups and floyd rose. But as i said not everyone will feel right with the mockingbird.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
well the mokcingbird is way more versiile with thecoil taps and the flanger built in
id go with it
Quote by Simonwalker
It may feel awesome do you, but why do you think there are so many types of guitars out there? It's not only because people want different sound, some people may not like the feel of certain guitars. For example i have tried to like telecasters but they don't feel RIGHT in my hands and therefore i won't have one.

As for the kicking in the nuts part. That doesn't help anybody. Plus you'd be too busy kicking tons of guitatist's nuts for buying anything different. So please, oh please, don't post such non-constructive comments. The rest of your message was fine about the pickups and floyd rose. But as i said not everyone will feel right with the mockingbird.

sure, it's not the best guitar in the world. but compared to the epiphones, you could say it is a matter of opinion but, it is completely superior. If you think a Les Paul is more comfortable that is fine, but that is a rediculous opinion based on weight, neck joint, neck thickness, and shape. Try sitting down to play one. Unless you like the classical position than you would have a hell of a time playing it sitting down.
I own a Epiphone and am happy playing it sitting down or standing up, the weight is fine for me. But then again i did not have as much choice of guitars. I would've liked a PRS but those aren't really sold here.
And then again the SG is light as well. Feels nice in the hand, for me, and sounds nice.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Go big or nothing. In other words If you can't get a Gibson, don't get a LP at all.

Go with a mockingbird, some of those are amazing.
Personally I love my Mockingbirds. Keep in mind that the old ones play much differently than the new ones. I have an '84 NJ, which feels very similar to an SG to me. Light body, neck dive is quite apparent. Bolt-on neck, 24 frets. Great SG-type tone. I also have one of the new Mockingbirds (The "Special-X"), which is a neck-through. If you look at pictures of the new ones, you'll notice that even theough the retain the scale length of the old ones, they have moved the tailpiece farther back on the body. This has pretty much solved the "neck dive" problem that they (and the SG) were known for.
The new ones also have mohogany bodies, maple through-necks, and a thicker "LP" type neck profile. You might check out a Mockingbird ST or Exotic Classic, too.
Not to say anything negative about Gibsons, I love them too. I don't even want emoticons to throw up on them.
Last edited by Johnthewrench at Mar 2, 2008,
Yay thank you string-N-stuff you have changed your sig thank you sire. Love ur SG btw
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Perhaps I should bow out as an advisor in your decision making process. I have owned (and still own) LPs and SGs, I really get a kick out of playing my vintage Mockingbirds, although the new ones are technically "better".
Just play a bunch of guitars, and see what inspires you to pick it up. The guitar that you can't walk past without picking it up is the one you should stick with. Then buy several more loosely based on that theme. That's how I ended up with a living room full of guitars!
I love my BC Riches. I bought eight of them last calendar year. A couple of them I hardly play, a couple of them have been responsible for me being late for work 'cause I can't put them down! I do love a nice LP, though. And the one that I have, I will never part with.
Mockinbirds are extremely sexy IMO. And they've got better specs.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Mockinbirds are extremely sexy IMO. And they've got better specs.

These things are concrete facts. But they will never sway the opinions of the "I hate BC Rich" Me-too crowd. I have never wanted to join a "me-too" mindset.