I own a Washburn guitar with a Double Locking Trem on it and I pretty much hate it. I hate it that you have to do so much work to change strings. Then it takes so much work to tune your guitar as well cuz you always have to unscrew the screws on the nut when you go from standard to 1 step or something. Then for some reason I can't even tune my guitar to standard cuz when I tune it high, it pulls the whole bridge and makes the rest of the strings low again, I don't even get what's going on.

So is it simply my crappy guitar that has gotten me to hate Trems so much? Or are they really just this annoying?

I'm wanting to get a new Guitar and I want a Fixed bridge cuz of this, but it's so hard to find a good one with a Fixed bridge, selection is Slim.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by yomoma21
the selection for fixed bridges really isnt that slim

Well I wanted an Ibanez, or a good guitar for metal. And from what I've seen it is, unless I'm just not looking hard enough.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by Phry
Well I wanted an Ibanez, or a good guitar for metal. And from what I've seen it is, unless I'm just not looking hard enough.

then see this

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/series.aspx?s=rg_fixed

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/series.aspx?s=rga_prestige

and that just RG's
Quote by hawk5211

I've seen those, I guess I should mention that I'm not loaded so I can't really get a guitar costing that much money, Haha. Best thing I've seen around my price range is the RGR421EXFM.

I've seen some other ones, but I wanted a 24 Fret with a Slim neck.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
ok wat u need to do is after u tune is unscrew the back of the guitar and there will be coils that u need to tighten/loosen to fix the bridge... u should do when u tune up and when u tune down every time
Quote by RJA5410
ok wat u need to do is after u tune is unscrew the back of the guitar and there will be coils that u need to tighten/loosen to fix the bridge... u should do when u tune up and when u tune down every time

I guess my guitar is a sucky one, cuz I don't have coils to loosen or tighten. It just uses the same kinds of springs as a normal bridge does, like the fenders. Pretty funky...
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
I'm not much of a trem man myself, I use a Schecter C-1 Classic and it has been quite nice to me.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
If price is a big push/pull I would suggest getting something like an ESP or an Epiphone.
Quote by CuttingJesse
If price is a big push/pull I would suggest getting something like an ESP or an Epiphone.

Well, I'm willing to fork out around 500 bucks. I've played the Epiphone SG and Les Paul and I didn't really like the feel of those, they're kinda bulky to me. I haven't heard many good things about LTDs, since ESPs don't make cheap guitars themselves.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
If you have a decent trem than you never have to tune it. I never tune my jackson, ever. And you get used to the stringing process. Now I won't play anything else. And that's not because it has a little toy bar on it, it's because I truly hate having to tune a guitar all the time.
There's a custom Ibanez guitar (MTM-1?) That has a fixed floyd bridge. Best of both worlds.
I really like my MIJ Floyd Ross HSS Strat, but if I only had one guitar it would be a hard-tail. Tell you what though, Original Floyds hardly ever go out of tune.
arent there little tuning screws? to correct for when you relock the nut?
i have a 'white guitar'
Yes, just make sure you stretch the strings and tune slightly flat before locking the nut and allow enough travel on the fine tuners (leave 1/3 to lower pitch and 2/3 to raise pitch. After a day or so you may want to loosen the nut and repeat the process. After that they are rock-solid.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
There's a custom Ibanez guitar (MTM-1?) That has a fixed floyd bridge. Best of both worlds.

For that price I'd get the RGT42FX.

I'd rather tune my guitar every now and then rather than hating to have to tune my guitar, Haha. Wish I had a nice Trem guitar to try out for a while or something, Haha.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by Phry
I guess my guitar is a sucky one, cuz I don't have coils to loosen or tighten. It just uses the same kinds of springs as a normal bridge does, like the fenders. Pretty funky...

Ive never seen/heard of coils on a FR/trem, so he must mean the springs.

You could always buy a trem equipped guitar and block the trem, hassle, but depends what you want, because as ive just learnt the hard way,
Cheap guitars with Trems, Never a good idea.
Yes, I did just get an RG370DXL so your probably better off staying away from that idea around low end ibanezs at least.
Go check out some schecters. C-1+, C-1 Classic, etc.
2003 Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts
2006 Epiphone 66' Re-Issue SG
1980's USA Fender Stratocaster w/ 50's Gibson Humbucker
Fender Deluxe 112 Plus Amplifier
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT Amplifier
Peavey Basic 50 Amplifier
Pod XT Pro
Quote by Phry
I own a Washburn guitar with a Double Locking Trem on it and I pretty much hate it. I hate it that you have to do so much work to change strings. Then it takes so much work to tune your guitar as well cuz you always have to unscrew the screws on the nut when you go from standard to 1 step or something. Then for some reason I can't even tune my guitar to standard cuz when I tune it high, it pulls the whole bridge and makes the rest of the strings low again, I don't even get what's going on.

So is it simply my crappy guitar that has gotten me to hate Trems so much? Or are they really just this annoying?

I'm wanting to get a new Guitar and I want a Fixed bridge cuz of this, but it's so hard to find a good one with a Fixed bridge, selection is Slim.

Maybe you're just not a smart person??
Be cool.
Quote by Phry

He means springs, I guess he thinks you're a beginner. the trem claw should be tightened or loosened depending on which way you want the bridge to go.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by thedude051
Maybe you're just not a smart person??

Maybe I'm not...

But I'm pretty sure that guitar will never be able to tune correctly, so I got a new one anyways with another Trem, one that works. Haha.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
I kinda agree with you...trems suck. I only like the Bigsby and Fender Mustang trems although they're incorrectly identified as vibratos.
i worked a t a music store and there was an ibanez rg with a fixed bridge and it cost like 300 bucks and the thing played like a dream...
Quote by CuttingJesse

ESP's cost mega bucks...?????

Unless you mean LTD's?

I get confused when people call Ltd's an ESP's...

It like calling your Epiphone a Gibson or your Squire a Fender......
Once you play with a good tremelo you will never turn back. I really like the wilkinson bridges they are a little pricey but they are a great product.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
bad experience
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by J rock
string thru T o' M style is my fav.

(not my guitar)

ewww i hate the ne ToM the old ones are nice though, i like the one om my l6s.
if i ever bought a newer Gibby id put an old style Tom on it.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)