i have a vox AD15VT. and its a great amp, but im looking for something louder or better. i play a lot of metal but i also play punk, classic rock, and some clean stuff. I like the High Gain tone on my Vox (Us highgain for those who have one) because its very thick and thats the kind of metal tone im looking for. I hate the scratchy, Dimebag, cannibal corspe metal sound. Im more into the Lamb of God, Rustinpeace Megadeth, and early metallca sound. i dont know how else to explain it but i like tone thats really thick with lots of mids. I dont know what my budget is yet but id say anywhere from 400-900. Must be Gigworthy.
Im not sure if i want solid state or Tube. (no line 6 spider SS or Crates!!!)
heres what ive found so far.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RH300G3-G3-Series-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=480339 -Looks loud, but i dont know how these sound, guitar center doesnt carry them in fact i dont know if there are any in my area. How do these sound???

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-212?sku=480509 -i love the clean tones on this thing, would it be possible to hook up a POD or something and get metal tones out of it or would it not be as good?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-Valve-212-40W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483067 -ive never tried one of thse are they any good??

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-JC120-Jazz-Chorus-Amp?sku=480003
_with pedals could i play metal on this???

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp?sku=481443 -ill probably end up going with this one because i tried it when i was shopping for my jackson and loved it. but i want to look at other options as well.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Save a little and get an ENGL Screamer 50.

Personally I would not get a single amp that you listed, none of them are really suited for what you want.

EDIT: I suppose if you wanted you could use pedal on a lower gain amp but why would you want to? Why not just get an amp the does what you want on its own. Pedals are also going to be very subjective, I personally don't like any distortion pedals Ive tried any more, but some people believe they are godly.
Last edited by thefrigginbob at Mar 1, 2008,
Quote by thefrigginbob

Personally I would not get a single amp that you listed, none of them are really suited for what you want.

EDIT: I suppose if you wanted you could use pedal on a lower gain amp but why would you want to? Why not just get an amp the does what you want on its own. Pedals are also going to be very subjective, I personally don't like any distortion pedals Ive tried any more, but some people believe they are godly.

Agreed, but I'd say to look at some used Mesas. F30's and Nomads are both good ideas.
Randall rm100/rm50 is by far the best high gain/versatile I heve ever played, and I have played tons of amps from Mesa, Marshall, Orange, ENGL, and other. The mark IV isn't bad either but its our of you price range. You can get a used rm50 for $600 with modules.
joshuaestock.com
Quote by thefrigginbob

for that much money i think id want something thats a lot more than 50 watts, the Fireball 60 looks pretty good, but id have to save a while
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Out of those the Valveking would be your best shoot I think but rather go for the ENGL Screamer 50(looks at my own sign) 50watt tube is loud enough for anything you wanna do.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
You don't need anything more than 50 watts.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
for that much money i think id want something thats a lot more than 50 watts, the Fireball 60 looks pretty good, but id have to save a while

Why do you need more than 50 watts? I own it and its ridiculously loud. Have you ever played a 50 watt tube amp?

Seriously, you can get a valve king or a randall but why not save just a little more cash and get something that will last for a long long time like an ENGL or Mesa, you will definitely be glad you did.
B-52 AT series maybe.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by backtothe70s
Out of those the Valveking would be your best shoot I think but rather go for the ENGL Screamer 50(looks at my own sign) 50watt tube is loud enough for anything you wanna do.

idk, i mean if im going to spend that much i might as well get a peavey 6505+ http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-Plus-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481432
Plus the ENGL only has one channel.

Its really frustrating because guitar center doesnt carry any good amps. Its either a cheap crate or a 3000 dollar Marshall. They barley carry any mid priced amps which is exactly what im looking for.
Everytime i see ENGl i think shredders. Im just wondering are they any good for rythm as well???? i got to look more into ENGL, marty friedman uses them and i love his tone so maybe i should check them out.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
idk, i mean if im going to spend that much i might as well get a peavey 6505+ http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-Plus-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481432

Its really frustrating because guitar center doesnt carry any good amps. Its either a cheap crate or a 3000 dollar Marshall. They barley carry any mid priced amps which is exactly what im looking for.
Everytime i see ENGl i think shredders. Im just wondering are they any good for rythm as well???? i got to look more into ENGL, marty friedman uses them and i love his tone so maybe i should check them out.

Okey... If you go for the Peavey- Do you have a cab for it?
The Engl screamer has 4 channels. 1-Clean, 2-clean with a little dirt, 3-distortion, 4-crazy distortion.

I think the Engl is perfect for rythm and solo if you're in to metal.
I'm more of a rock guy myself so to speak therefor the Engl was a bit scary and different for me but I like it more and more the more I play with it. I think you will find it to be a great amp if you try it!
Schecter C1 Classic
Wampler Ego Compressor
Last edited by backtothe70s at Mar 1, 2008,
The screamer has 2(well they act as 4) channels. Its great for rhythm and chunky riffs.

Im not saying that an ENGL is the end all be all amp for you. I love them and I highly recommend them but try and look at all the amps you can. I personally thought the 6505 that I played wasn't nearly as good as its talked up to be....
Quote by Fuzzbox91

Yeah, but the 5150/6505's have 2 modes- cheesy- sounding cleans and br00talz. With the Mesas and Engls, you get some middle ground.
^

VEEERY constructive! Bravo!
Schecter C1 Classic
Wampler Ego Compressor
Im liking the ENGL the more i look into it. The carvin V3 looks promising as well, its pretty low priced too.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
if you havn't already, then take a look at youtube for the ENGL, there are some great videos about it =)
Schecter C1 Classic
Wampler Ego Compressor
so i checked out some Youtube demos. The three Videos i saw of hte 6505 dissapointed me. It sounded really trebly and scratchy. One guy was using a sweet 80s kramer the other was using a Petrucci sig model so it wasnt the guitars. The Engl videos looked pretty sweet tho, it has the exact Thick chunky tone im looking for. Ok now im definatly not getting the Peavey 6505, i saw a video of a guy with a Jackson Soloist with EMGs (similar guitar to mine, but better) playing through one and it still was all scratchy. Then i saw a video of a guy with a Screamer 50 and a WRMG (same guitar as mine, different shape) and his sounded wayy better.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by FRDesign
Mesa Mark IV. Save up more.

I like the Mark IV, dont get me wrong, but when I played with one it was wayyyyyy beyond me. Im not great at tweaking settings, so I was quite overwhelmed. In the right hands they are godly(it was my dream amp for a while) but it can be a little difficult to use, I really like the simplicity of ENGLs and the V3. Just a thought.
Quote by soul_power
B-52 AT series maybe.

I second the AT.

Will blow the Valve King away...

and I'm sure you'd absolutely love the cleans on it too..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Bugera 333XL, i was shocked at how decent mine sounds, and its not high priced.
it is 120watts, but even at lower volumes it still sounds awsome.
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!