i just put on some really heavy gauges on my strat, .14-.58's, and i cannot get it into tune. right now the tremelo is floating, the strings are not slipping, the nuts are fine, but my tremelo keeps bending more and more as i tighthen the strings, as well as my brideg raising higher and higher. does anyone know how i can slove this problem? should i add a couple more springs to my trem.? right now theres only 3...
Oh, you definitely need five springs. You'll probably have to tighten the screw all the way down as well.

Does that gauge even fit in the nut slots?
That thick of a string you need like stated above 5 springs, Nut filed, and also you will need a truss rod ajustment and full setup and even still you might have issues...

I still dont see the point in huge strings, yes i know the tone is better but good lord.. I Played a Zakk Wylde set yesterday on a Gibson i was modifing and holy hell that was weird. And the kicker is i played my normal d'addario 10's side by side and they sounded a whole lot better then the Wyldes... But i guess to each there own...
I'm about to have my tech put 17-70s on my guitar for me (custom mixed string set hehehe)

He'll have fun getting that to work.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by jewbaby667
I'm about to have my tech put 17-70s on my guitar for me (custom mixed string set hehehe)

Why?! Are you only doing it so you can brag about your string gauge? Seriously, that's ridiculous.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas
Why?! Are you only doing it so you can brag about your string gauge? Seriously, that's ridiculous.

not quite.

I have 13-56's right now and love them. I upgraded from 9s to 13s about 3 months ago and the 13s feel tiny now. I don't go lower than drop C, so its not because i want to be the next slipknot. I just like the feel of solid strings over a smaller gauge. 13s are feeling tiny now so I'm going to try something different.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by jewbaby667
not quite.

I have 13-56's right now and love them. I upgraded from 9s to 13s about 3 months ago and the 13s feel tiny now. I don't go lower than drop C, so its not because i want to be the next slipknot. I just like the feel of solid strings over a smaller gauge. 13s are feeling tiny now so I'm going to try something different.

Well then I hope it works out for you.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by jewbaby667

17's?? Holy shit man, those will be hell on your fingers. Good luck with that!
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
I suggest you get a Les Paul/ SG or other stop-bar tail piece. And you do need your nut filed (unless you don't plan on sticking with heavier gauge strings) as well as a truss rod adjustment.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by jewbaby667
not quite.

If you don't immediately remove them for lack of being able to sound a note, I imagine that you'll have a warped neck within a week.

Could be wrong though, it'd be pretty damn metal otherwise.
haha 17s man, you'll be super neck gripper
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
If you don't immediately remove them for lack of being able to sound a note, I imagine that you'll have a warped neck within a week.

Could be wrong though, it'd be pretty damn metal otherwise.

+1

The neck will warp thats almost a gurantee, hell if it was a ibanez neck it would snap in half lol.... I've seen people get away from warpage because there down tuned so far down it doesnt really take a toll. But 17's in Drop C ohhhh yea its gonna go down lol
It's a Jackson bolt on neck. Isn't this what a truss rod is for? The gauge isn't that utterly rediculous.

10 - 14 - 18 - 36 - 52 - 70 GHS Boomers

17 - 26 - 36 - 46 - 56 - 70 my mix of boomers and 13-56 DR tite fits

Just a little step up from this:

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=GBZWLO/513.0

I haven't finalized it with my tech. I see him in two weeks. I would rather stick with my 13s then have a warped neck. I like E as much as drop C.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
I had 12's on before I switched back to 9's yesterday. The 12's were killing my fingers, and I couldn't play the Hotel California solo with all those bends.

I like 10's or 11's though, but 13 is where I draw the line.
High as tits
Quote by jewbaby667
It's a Jackson bolt on neck. Isn't this what a truss rod is for? The gauge isn't that utterly rediculous.

10 - 14 - 18 - 36 - 52 - 70 GHS Boomers

17 - 26 - 36 - 46 - 56 - 70 my mix of boomers and 13-56 DR tite fits

Just a little step up from this:

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=GBZWLO/513.0

I haven't finalized it with my tech. I see him in two weeks. I would rather stick with my 13s then have a warped neck. I like E as much as drop C.

Heres a few issues...

1)There can be as much as 200 pounds of pull on the average guitar neck when the strings are tuned to pitch. The key word is average, can you imagine clamping your guitar down to the table and standing on the neck? Exactly! But people dont hesitate to hook up bridge cable's to there guitar and not not even think twice about it...

2) Theres going to be a tremendous amount of tension pulling one just one side of the neck so the twisting and pulling is the worst factor of it all...

3) Your tuners aren't ment to hold that amount of force let alone the screws holding in the neck...

4) Have you ever seen a old hard tail guitar were the stop tail peice is bent and about to come out the guitar? Imagine that but it doing it to your bolt on neck instead lol
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by jewbaby667
not quite.

enjoy your finger rape and broken neck. (guitar neck)
If you tune above D standard your neck will probably warp. And to be honest, i wouldnt feel bad.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
enjoy your finger rape and broken neck. (guitar neck)
If you tune above D standard your neck will probably warp. And to be honest, i wouldn't feel bad.

All I've been hearing is dissent. I guess this isn't possible. I don't want to break my guitar, I just want to have a thicker string feel. I thought SRV used something crazy like 17's too. How does Zakk Wylde get away with a 70 top string then?

Are there modifications to make this happen?

I would appreciate helpful comments over sarcasm and probably uneducated blabbering.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by jewbaby667
All I've been hearing is dissent. I guess this isn't possible. I don't want to break my guitar, I just want to have a thicker string feel. I thought SRV used something crazy like 17's too. How does Zakk Wylde get away with a 70 top string then?

I would appreciate helpful comments over sarcasm and probably uneducated blabbering.

Naw, I think SRV only used .13's. Plus, Zakk's high e is only an .11.
Quote by jewbaby667

SRV used 13's and 14's, no where near 17's. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything like that, I really think that 17's are not possible without serious modification to the guitar.
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne