i play in a band with people at work and it is just a fun time covers band, with no ambition beyond the current pub circuit we are doing.
we origionally had no bassist but now we have a bass guitar but cant play it. what is the very basic rule for making a bass line to go from one chord to another e.g a G to a c??
can it be described in intervals, or is it more complicated?
Just play the root notes, but an octave down. You dont really need to use any transitional notes.
the simple thing to do is to follow the guitar parts... just play the root notes of every chord the guitarist plays..
Quote by qotsa1998
Just play the root notes, but an octave down. You dont really need to use any transitional notes.

*facepalm* but not. That can be done, and it won't sound out of place, but it's generally better if you play something other than straight root notes. Just take notes from the chords themselves, and work them into a bassline that sort of "works" its way into the next chord. Search for jazz_rock_feel's tutorial on walking bass lines. If you're playing anything other than jazz or blues though, I'd advise straying away from the typical straight-quarter rhythm which is commonly thought of as 'walking.' Even a simple bass line can be made much better with a little variation of the rhythm. Good luck, by the way.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
thanks everybody. thats very helpful, and very quick. i only just posted. cheers. your4plague12, are you saying i can use the 1,3, and 5th of the scale of the chord being played at any time??
Quote by Almann1979
thanks everybody. thats very helpful, and very quick. i only just posted. cheers. your4plague12, are you saying i can use the 1,3, and 5th of the scale of the chord being played at any time??

You can use them just about wherever you want, the 5th especially. It mixes in well just about anywhere, and the third is a good one to use too. Don't ignore the 7th's either, especially if it's a 7 chord
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
roots are ok but it gets kid of boring
to spice things up you should do some really simple fillups
for example i always find myself using pulls of on thirds and sometimes in fifths(and i play in a punk/pop punk/ska band)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like the TS' band has anyone playing the bass. I'd have to say do roots until whoever's playing it becomes more comfortable.
Just my two cents.
Aw man... Just put an ad in Craigs List and get someone who can play a good bass line. If you want people to really notice you, you gotta have someone who can groove with your drummer and make the song sound interesting down there. It makes the music more fun to listen to if the bass is alive and kicking.

Don't let that discourage you from touching the bass--whoever gets to play that in the band will be in for a treat. But you gotta let the person who consciously listens to bass lines in songs play the bass.

In my opinion, it is such a fun instrument--you can tastefully solo all the time and no one will yell at you--they'll think you are a genius. You can really control the feel of the song by pushing or pulling on the pocket of the groove. And you can build tension around chords that the guitarist is playing--by playing notes other than the root note. The unsung and true power behind the flash and flair of the guitarists--BASS.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
thanks. but while we decide if recruitning another member is worthwhile, apart from 1,3,5,7, are there any oher notes we can use, or what should we definately NOT play?
Quote by Almann1979
thanks. but while we decide if recruitning another member is worthwhile, apart from 1,3,5,7, are there any oher notes we can use, or what should we definately NOT play?

You can play any note.

Whether or not it sounds good is all preference.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.