There is no way for me to check w/o completely taking out my speaker so I figure I'd ask opinions here. When I turn the bass/treble all the way up on my amp the speakers make a cackling noise. The speaker is fairly new so it might just be getting broken in, but I'm afraid that it's ripped. So, does UG think that my speaker is ripped or is it normal?
EDIT: It still gets the cackle when I lowered the bass and treble back to normal now.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Mar 1, 2008,
Hmm...Have you been pushing it volume-wise?
Maybe it's just your pots that need a clean?

Why are you turning your bass/treble to 10 anyway?? haha
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I was experimenting and know it's never gone more then halfway up and the amp is only 3 months old.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
It's probably a dirty pot.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Sounds like a dirty pot to me. Try cleaning them first.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
How?
Quote by doggy_hat
There's some sort of pot-cleaning spray, is there not?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I don't know, this is my first run through with tube amp so I'm a noob. I'm just pissed, because I really wanted to jam tonight. Where can I get this pot cleaning stuff and what exactly is the pot and where is it located?

EDIT: I attached a soundclip of me just play an E power chord on the lead channel and you can hear the cackling, its not the mic I used. It also happens on clean, especially on barrechords and power chords.
Attachments:
Recording (2).amr.zip
Quote by doggy_hat
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Mar 1, 2008,
BleedDeathMetal
EDIT: I attached a soundclip of me just play an E power chord on the lead channel and you can hear the cackling, its not the mic I used. It also happens on clean, especially on barrechords and power chords.

I actually had a thread about this same exact thing a couple of days ago. Had the same problem, and it being my first tube amp, I wasn't sure what it was. I was told however that either the speakers needed replaced or the tubes did. Haven't had the chance to do either yet, though so I don't know which it was or which will fix it, if either.
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
I checked it out and from the back my speakers are not ripped so . There were 2 loose tubes so I planted them firmly in. If that doesn't work I'll clean he pots tomorrow.
Quote by doggy_hat
The pot is the round metal behind the knobs. Radio Shack or any electronics store should carry cans of contact cleaner (tuner spray.)
How do you take the knobs off?
Quote by doggy_hat
I was fooling around with it. It was my new ISP decimator. It didn't like being in the loop.
Quote by doggy_hat