Page 1 of 2
Anyone know any simple yet interesting riffs / licks?

For Example:

This lick is very simple, yet it sounds quite nice. Also, it is in D minor... my favorite key.

Not much more to it.
the smoke on the water riff, and this little piece I got from somewhere

Al----2/3---5-6-5--3-2-3---l dont know what is about it but I play it all the time

yeah the / is a slide
Last edited by therealtater at Mar 1, 2008,
Quote by therealtater
l----2/3---5-6-5--3-2-3---l dont know what is about it but I play it all the time

Is that all on the sixth string? And what does the slash mean... is that a slide?
Last edited by RockDJ at Mar 1, 2008,
Mr. brownstone riff is so badass, its what i play when running out of ideas
----------------------------------------------------------------------12-13-15
---------------------------------------------------------12-13-15--------------
------------------------------------------------13-14-------------------------
-----------------------------------12-14-15-----------------------------------
------------------11-12-14-15------------------------------------------------
------10-12-13-----------------------------------------------------------------

a scale i made from a lick from "wake up dead" by Megadeth. Its very dark and great for metal, it actually sounds better when played down instead of up it but w/e. I dont know what its called but its also used in the "dead skin mask" solo. I use it all the time.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Most/all Black Sabbath riffs
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
i also like doing hammer ons like this
e--------------11h12h11
b---------------------------12----------------11h12h11
g------------------------------------------------------------12
it sounds a bit off but i like it

e--------11h12h11
b----------------------13------12h13h12
g----------------------------------------------14
heres a more "correct" sounding pattern
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Simple, great sounding and fun to play riffs....a lot of those that I play are from Static-X.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by Fuzzbox91
i also like doing hammer ons like this
e--------------11h12h11
b---------------------------12----------------11h12h11
g------------------------------------------------------------12
it sounds a bit off but i like it

e--------11h12h11
b----------------------13------12h13h12
g----------------------------------------------14
heres a more "correct" sounding pattern

Sorry, Hand P tabs confuse me, how do I play that?

Also, I tried all the riffs you guys posted and they are fun

Simple, great sounding and fun to play riffs....a lot of those that I play are from Static-X.

Any specific ones?
Quote by RockDJ
Sorry, Hand P tabs confuse me, how do I play that?

Also, I tried all the riffs you guys posted and they are fun

Any specific ones?

theyre on the top 3 strings, i dont know how else to say it H=hammeron/pulloff

also each hammer on pattern is a seperate lick, i was just too lazy to make four tab things.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
theyre on the top 3 strings, i dont know how else to say it H=hammeron/pulloff

also each hammer on pattern is a seperate lick, i was just too lazy to make four tab things.

No, like I fret the 11, hammer on the 12, pull of to the 11?
Yes
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Dean ML Select
Customized Schecter Omen-6
Taylor 214e
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960 cab
Cube 15
Vox Wah
Blues Driver BD-2

Quote by Chordzzz
can you fuсk it?

Quote by nebiru
Oh I will find a way.
Quote by RockDJ

yea, you do it real fast, your only on 12 for a short bit, therese mor emphasis on the 11th fret. it sounds like a trinote thing, idk. Listen to Slash's solo on November Rain(any one of them) he does it a lot.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
yea, you do it real fast, your only on 12 for a short bit, therese mor emphasis on the 11th fret. it sounds like a trinote thing, idk. Listen to Slash's solo on November Rain(any one of them) he does it a lot.

Do you pick the 13 then?

Another problem I have is that my tapping is barely audible. The fist day I learned it, I was good... but since then not so much :X Any advice?
Quote by RockDJ

Oh i just realized you play Bass, its more of a guitar thing but you can do it anyway. but in that case look at "anethesia pulling teeth" by metallica for examples. Try this the notes on the 11th fret are quarter notes and the 12th fret note is an eighth note, start out ata medium speed 120bpm and gradually move up. i cant get any more specific than that.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
Oh i just realized you play Bass, its more of a guitar thing but you can do it anyway.

I play guitar too
Last edited by RockDJ at Mar 1, 2008,
Quote by RockDJ
Do you pick the 13 then?

Another problem I have is that my tapping is barely audible. The fist day I learned it, I was good... but since then not so much :X Any advice?

no you dont pick the 13 you hit it with your middle finger (or whatever comes after the finger on the 12th fret and pull off real fastso you only pick once. Tapping takes time. I had the same experience as you, i was real good when i started but then i sort of lost it. keep practicing, it was something that kinda crept up on me and i gradually got better even tho id idnt realize and now its like "oh i can tap" hammerons take some time to get used to as well. Slash does them all the time in his solos, as does Kirk Hammett.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
no you dont pick the 13 you hit it with your middle finger (or whatever comes after the finger on the 12th fret and pull off real fastso you only pick once. Tapping takes time. I had the same experience as you, i was real good when i started but then i sort of lost it. keep practicing, it was something that kinda crept up on me and i gradually got better even tho id idnt realize and now its like "oh i can tap" hammerons take some time to get used to as well. Slash does them all the time in his solos, as does Kirk Hammett.

Practice is everything.
Atreyu has some really good, simple licks...Lip Gloss and Black is a prime example. The intro solo to Ex's and Oh's is another one.

Killswitch Engage riffs are also insanely fun to play...My Curse's main riff is addictive once you learn how to play it. So is the palm-muting and slide riff in The End Of Heartache.

Coheed & Cambria's Welcome Home intro is also fun...I play it all the time and try to come up with ideas...it's a basis for epic riff design
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by Thebiz
Coheed & Cambria's Welcome Home intro is also fun...I play it all the time and try to come up with ideas...it's a basis for epic riff design

Isn't that based off of a Rush riff?
Quote by RockDJ
Isn't that based off of a Rush riff?

Probably, but Co & Ca has admitted that they haven't ever really been Rush fans. So it's probably unintentional.

Unintentional riff basing and stealing is very common, since almost everything has been done already.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
+1 to the "my curse" riff,
i also love the string skipping lick from "curse of castle dragon" by paul gilbert!
Top lel.
Quote by Thebiz
Probably, but Co & Ca has admitted that they haven't ever really been Rush fans. So it's probably unintentional.

Unintentional riff basing and stealing is very common, since almost everything has been done already.

Yeah, I do experimental rock... and that gets to be a big problem.
Quote by Thebiz
Atreyu has some really good, simple licks...Lip Gloss and Black is a prime example. The intro solo to Ex's and Oh's is another one.

Killswitch Engage riffs are also insanely fun to play...My Curse's main riff is addictive once you learn how to play it. So is the palm-muting and slide riff in The End Of Heartache.

i hate atreyu but your right, their riffs are pretty good. i hate the singer and the lyrics.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by RockDJ
Do you pick the 13 then?

try turning your gain up you should be able to hear it better

another riff you can practice tapping on is this one

el---t17-7h9h10---t17-7h9h10--l x 3-4 times

it sounds really good if you have a distortion pedal cuz you can start it off really faint and make it louder as you keep playin
Last edited by therealtater at Mar 2, 2008,
Anything by Coal Chamber. Super easy but very catchy. Try "El Cu Cuy" or "No Home" for example.
Hey, what about the Whole lotta love riff by Zepellin?

That's a kick-ass riff... and it doesn't get any simpler than that.
I couldn't stop thinking about guitar today (is this normal?), give me some stuff to play
Last edited by RockDJ at Mar 4, 2008,
Quote by RockDJ
I couldn't stop thinking about guitar today (is this normal?), give me some stuff to play

It's perfectly fine, Rock... Just make sure that when you get home to your guitar you don't make a mess in the pickups!

If you want a song that's pretty easy to play and sound good, check out Joan Jett's version of Crimson and Clover: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/joan_jett_tabs.htm

I downloaded the Guitar Pro tab and it's very well done.
Quote by thale84
B-----------------8-----------|
G----7--5--7/9----9\7--5--|

On slides... do you pick again on the last note, or just let it ring?

Simple yet interesting riffs?

Somebody jsut said AC/DC?

My schoolboy uniform is not coming in until next week.
Last edited by RockDJ at Mar 4, 2008,
Page 1 of 2