Page 1 of 3
well I've been thinking about some old friends of mine and some newer ones, and I came to the conclusion that more and more people are cutting these days. I had a "friend" in eighth grade who would, I was so scared for her that I just made sure she wouldn't whenever I saw her. Now I was wondering what you guys(and girls) thought about it(the ratio of guys cutting to girls is 1:1.5 if you were wondering). please no OMG cutting iz teh emoz!!!1!!! because there are a lot of people that are not emo that do it. I just wanted to know what you thought about it and what ways there are to stop somebody(I kinda have someone in mind for this thread)

thanks

-Wiz?
i only knew one guy who cut himself, and that was ju st for attention. I only did it to be trendy
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Of all the people I've known that have done. id say, all except 2 probably did it for attention. And there was quite a few. Some people are f*ck wits.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
never done cutting
but pushing your thumbs into your eyeballs once you get through the pain receptors is cleansing
and it can make you pass out too, haven't gone that far yet
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Kensai
i only knew one guy who cut himself, and that was ju st for attention. I only did it to be trendy

Pfft.
I did it before it was cool.

Seriously though, I did know a few people that did it. You really don't influence much if you tell them to stop, just give them lot's of compliments when you can. Try to up their self-esteem.
My friend got sent to one of those seminars for kids who are supposedly depressed and he was taught all about the hippest self-mutilation techniques. Apparently what they're doing now is pouring lighter fluid on their wrists and lighting it...
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
i have before. im trying to quit. i dont know any other guys that cut. most are chicks. my ex gf used to and it scared the **** out of me cuz she always made it seem way worse than it was.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
I've never understood why anyone would ever cut. I've heard the "it lets you have power over something, since you can control the pain" argument. Which is void, because you can easily control the pain completely by not cutting yourself to begin with.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
well i know ALOT of people do it for attention...
but at the same time, a close friend of mine was really ****ed up and she did it because she really had trouble expressing herself, so in a case like that I sympathize.
And I did it once cuz I was curious. <. <
Seriously, I was like gee I wonder....
lol It didn't hurt that much, it was just like oh wow nice going. lol
"You'd stick your head in fire if I told you that you could see Hell"- Otis, House of 1000 Corpses
see the people I know that do, don't do it for attention, they do it because they need to control pain(a few people have talked to me about it, I was a "therapist" in middle school), there are so many things wrong in their life in their point of view that they just have to control something... at least that's what she said to me. I don't know though I guess
people have always engaged in self destructive behaviour. it used to be smoking, drinking, drugs, but never mind what the media tells you, it's becoming too difficult to do those, especially for teenagers.

so they cut themselves, instead. my mum knew kids who did it when she was at school, kids do it now. it's just not that dangerous, but people treat it as something horrific. usually it's not life threatening, or even severe cuts.

on people who it is, it's probably a mental condition, on people who don't do enough to really endanger themselves, it's just a way of either coping or fitting in or getting attention from peers or parents.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Uhmm I know plenty of people who've cut places where people wouldn't see, like their thighs.
Including me.

Sad but true.

And I don't really mind sharing it because I haven't in like 3 years I think.

People have their reasons for it, sometmes for attention, sometimes for the bad kind of attention.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Self-harm is a pretty serious deal. I've been there. It's annoying that people do the whole 'omg cutting is what emos do!!'. It also pisses me off that there are people out there who do it for attention. Almost makes a mockery of what is a serious issue.
Quote by Gunpowder
I've never understood why anyone would ever cut. I've heard the "it lets you have power over something, since you can control the pain" argument. Which is void, because you can easily control the pain completely by not cutting yourself to begin with.

the reason i did and the reason i hear most is that it helps make them think about the pain instead of whatever was bothering them. it still hurts though. i hate when people ask you if it hurts. no ****. lol.
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia

Self-harm is a pretty serious deal. It's annoying that people do the whole 'omg cutting is what emos do!!'. It also pisses me off that there are people out there who do it for attention. Almost makes a mockery of what is a serious issue.

i think depending on the person it can be a serious issue, when people cut themselves deep enough, and try to hide it.
But I do agree that the people who do ti for attention make the people who are actually hurt and messed up and confused look bad. :\
"You'd stick your head in fire if I told you that you could see Hell"- Otis, House of 1000 Corpses
Quote by _deeperthewound
Self-harm is a pretty serious deal. I've been there. It's annoying that people do the whole 'omg cutting is what emos do!!'. It also pisses me off that there are people out there who do it for attention. Almost makes a mockery of what is a serious issue.

don't you think the fact they need the attention in the first place, so much so that they are willing to possibly permanently scar themselves, is an indication that they're not right in the head either? luckily for them, it's probably just being a teenager. sadly for them, potential future employers don't like self inflicted scar tissue. it makes you look "unstable".
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
a lot of people do it. ive never done it, but i guess im not depressed. but i do know people who have.
cutting releases endorphines, endorphines make people happy, but painkillers do the same thing, so go to your doctor, don't cut
Quote by a4lrocker
the reason i did and the reason i hear most is that it helps make them think about the pain instead of whatever was bothering them. it still hurts though. i hate when people ask you if it hurts. no ****. lol.

When I used to do it, it was the only way to shut my brain up. It's a coping mechanism.

Your body releases endorphins into your blood stream when pain is inflicted. Same as when you exercise or eat chocolate or whatever.
so I have another question... I asked her about this rubber band thing I found out about somehow(I really have no idea where) it's snapping a rubber band against your wrist... does this work? I asked her if she ever did it, and she had no idea
My friend cut himself recently. ALOT. I didnt know what to do, hes in therapy now, but he still cut himself under where he wears a wristwatch.

He told me that it felt good to him. He said when he took a shower and the cuts burned, he started laughing.

This is an honors kid who has like a 5.0 GPA in school btw. Scared the hell outta me
lol the rudder band thing is for discipline so far as i'm aware.
Quote by a4lrocker

See, now I don't understand that either. Why think about pain instead of whatever's bothering you? They both hurt. When something bothers me, I think about cake. Instead of thinking "Huh, something's bothering me, I'm gonna cut myself," I think "Huh, something's bothering me, I'm gonna go get some cake."
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Dirge Humani

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Uhmm I know plenty of people who've cut places where people wouldn't see, like their thighs.
Including me.

Sad but true.

And I don't really mind sharing it because I haven't in like 3 years I think.

People have their reasons for it, sometmes for attention, sometimes for the bad kind of attention.

Same here.

Quote by 6touch6of.evil6
Cutting is almost like the alternative to drugs and alcohol

Exactly, it's putting the self destructive behaviour that some people can't get or attain into an easier form.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I used to do it when I was upset, and I used to blame myself. It just made me feel better.

Scars have faded on my thighs now.
And the odd few on my wrist have faded now. For the record, I used to cover up my wrist.

I didn't want people to know.
It's not thought of as being anything good is it.

Yeah....
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by wizards?
so I have another question... I asked her about this rubber band thing I found out about somehow(I really have no idea where) it's snapping a rubber band against your wrist... does this work? I asked her if she ever did it, and she had no idea

I've never heard of that one, but there are a number of alternative things to do. One was to hold an ice cube against the area where you would normally cut, it numbs the skin. That one actually worked quite well for me.

Another was to draw on yourself with a red pen or something red. Sounds silly, I know, but the psychology behind it is, when some people cut, they're doing so to see blood. It's kinda like when people try to quit smoking and suck on a pen or pencil.
Quote by Gunpowder
See, now I don't understand that either. Why think about pain instead of whatever's bothering you? They both hurt. When something bothers me, I think about cake. Instead of thinking "Huh, something's bothering me, I'm gonna cut myself," I think "Huh, something's bothering me, I'm gonna go get some cake."

I don't know how to explain the thought, but it's not that it hurts, they know it hurts. The fact of the matter is that they know they will hurt, but they can control when and where they do, and as everyone says it releases endorphynes to make you feel better so it is used as a way to cope.
Quote by Jonn0
never done cutting
but pushing your thumbs into your eyeballs once you get through the pain receptors is cleansing
and it can make you pass out too, haven't gone that far yet

Ahh, I didn't need to read that. Off the subject, I watched 28 Weeks later today and nearly threw up at the part were he sticks his fingers through the mothers eyes.
Quote by Gunpowder

thats the basic idea. its all just coping. i wouldnt eat cake cuz i dont really like cake but some people dont mind cutting as much so thats what they do. it sorta shows that they dont have very good coping skills.
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
meh i think its pathetic. no two ways around it. people gotta get over the fact that in north america our lives are never that bad
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by wizards?
I don't know how to explain the thought, but it's not that it hurts, they know it hurts. The fact of the matter is that they know they will hurt, but they can control when and where they do, and as everyone says it releases endorphynes to make you feel better so it is used as a way to cope.

I think the pain of having a razor slice into your flesh kind of cancels out the "good feeling" brought on by endorphins.
Quote by a4lrocker
thats the basic idea. its all just coping. i wouldnt eat cake cuz i dont really like cake but some people dont mind cutting as much so thats what they do. it sorta shows that they dont have very good coping skills.

I'd still rather cope with cake than with a cut. I mean, everyone likes cake.

Except for you. But you're a freak.
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Dirge Humani

FUCK ROCKS!
Oh God, when I was in highschool there was a period during which depression became really trendy.

So many people claimed to cut themselves, some of them showed each other like they were ****ing badges of honor.

The worst of it is that I knew one person that claimed he cut up his arms, but I've seen him wearing t-shirts just days after with no scarring.

I'm not calling anyone that does it a douchebag, there are legitimate reasons for doing it. I can understand it's a form of release for some. But for those that did it to be trendy (KENSAI ), you're gigantic faggots.

Frankly, I always thought drugs and booze were a better alternative.
Quote by jordanzio
meh i think its pathetic. no two ways around it. people gotta get over the fact that in north america our lives are never that bad

Would you say hyperstress, dissociation and manic depression were pathetic, too?
Quote by Gunpowder
I think the pain of having a razor slice into your flesh kind of cancels out the "good feeling" brought on by endorphins.

Some people enjoy pain.
Or at least not mind it.

Some people would even want to feel the pain, like a punishment after blaming themselves.

EDIT: ^^^^ +1
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by jordanzio

That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. There are so many things that can make a person mentally unstable and cause them to cut themselves. Seriously, saying that just because we live in North America nothing bad enough is ever going to happen to cause someone to hurt themselves is pretty stupid.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Seeing as other people have owned up, so to speak, I think I will.

I'm 16 and I haven't self-harmed in 3 years. I started because of stuff at home (don't worry I'm not going to bore you with the details) at the age of 10. I didn't even know what self-harm was, but I liked cutting my thighs because it felt like I was getting what I deserved and because what happened was my fault.

I realised what I was doing and saw people around me and felt soo ashamed, I still do now. None of my friends know and I sorted it out on my own. I've met a few people who parade their scars around, like it's something to be proud of, and it's not, it's a horrid thing to do, makes you feel better at the time but in retrospect, it just seems...wrong.

That's it really... I wish I hadn't, but sometimes I wish I could. But don't want to be lumped with THAT group.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Page 1 of 3