I was given a Crate half stack 7 months ago that my friend didn't want anymore because he stopped playing the guitar. He got it decades ago, and it finally blew on me this weekend.
So I was wondering what are some good half stacks that are lower then a grand?
I'm in a cover band and we do a bunch of different styles of music from Punk( Bad Religion, Dead Kennedy's, Anti-Flag), Thrash ( D.R.I., S.O.D.) Metal ( Sepultura, Corrosion of Conformity) So I am looking for an amp that will fit all these styles of music.
I am looking for opinions on good Half Stacks that will let the sound of all of these sound great. Which the Crate did not sound too good when I down tuned the guitar down to C and B. I also use a Boss ME-50, and Play an Ibanez RGT6EXFX, and a Gibson Les Paul.
Thanks
Proper Burial
Fail. Why do you need a halfstack?
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I have a Crate combo 120 watt amp that can not even be heard when we play. The drummer is very very loud, and my brother puts his bass amp up to 5 and the Crate half stack I had to put on 8-9 to even be level with how loud the bass is, then we have a P.A. System also, SO I need a half stack in order to be heard while playing
Because it is a SS amp and a lousy one at that. For 1,000 dollars you can get a really nice used tube combo that will be plenty loud.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by Proper_Burial
I have a Crate combo 120 watt amp that can not even be heard when we play. The drummer is very very loud, and my brother puts his bass amp up to 5 and the Crate half stack I had to put on 8-9 to even be level with how loud the bass is, then we have a P.A. System also, SO I need a half stack in order to be heard while playing

2 more speakers is not gonna let you be heard. it's a really common and ridiculous thought. you need a good [preferably tube] amp that will let your tone cut through any number of speakers you put to it.

look into a randall rg50tc, b-52 at-112 or at-212, or give the new line of amps made by bugera a try.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I don't think you guys really understand the volume that I need.( That is not sarcasm)
I will play with just the drummer, no vocals , no bass, and no lead guitarist and I had to put the volume of the half stack that just died up between 8-9 in volume in order to be heard. He hits the drums so damn hard, plus the size of the room that we are playing in. I used the crate 120 amp that I had to put on 10 in volume, and it could barely be heard. SO, the Crate half stack was louder then the combo amp, and I was still having to go up to almost 10 in my volume. So, now add in bass and vocals and another guitar, a combo will not work!!!!!!!!!
If you really need it. Get a 6505/5150 head for that price and get a Vader 2x12 cabinet.

It is ridiculous though that you need that much wattage, especially if its only band practice and practice by yourself. Tell the drummer to take it easy or find a new one.
Quote by doggy_hat
Find a new drummer. He really can't be that good if he just focuses on volume. Or just tell him to quiet down and actually focus on drumming instead of just pounding as hard as he can.

Plus, you don't need a halfstack. The extra speakers don't make much of a difference.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
No way will we git rid of "Landfill" our drummer, he was a drum roadie for Metallica, Slayer, Death, Megadeth, Obituary, Sepultura he is one of the nicest people you could ever meet. It's just the fact that I need a half stack, that is what the forum question was about half stacks. We do play out
Last edited by Proper_Burial at Mar 1, 2008,
Well... does your cabinet still work?
I'd go with a peavey 5150 or one of those new bugera things for a head.
Best not to let that cabinet go to waste.
Plus, 100-something tube watts is much louder than 100 watts solidstate (which what your crate was). You should only be able to drown out a normal drummer with 50 tube watts. I can drown out mine, and he slams on those drums, and i'm at 5 out of 12 volume (which is under half it's potential volume)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I don't think you guys really understand the volume that I need.( That is not sarcasm)

A half-stack won't get you any more volume. You want one because you think it will make your penis look bigger, which is the same reason that 90% of the people who want half-stacks want them. A decent 50watt tube combo will be far louder than you'll ever ever ever ever need.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Well... does your cabinet still work?
I'd go with a peavey 5150 or one of those new bugera things for a head.
Best not to let that cabinet go to waste.
Plus, 100-something tube watts is much louder than 100 watts solidstate (which what your crate was). You should only be able to drown out a normal drummer with 50 tube watts. I can drown out mine, and he slams on those drums, and i'm at 5 out of 12 volume (which is under half it's potential volume)

Thats what I was thinking. You've got a cab, so use it. I would skip Bugera as you can afford the real (USA made) deal. Also consider a used Marshall JCM2000. Btw, a $1000 give or take is enough to get a good full halfstack set if you go used, plus the guy is apparently gigging.

EDIT: FYI, a halfstack will net you more volume by default, due to 4 12 inch speakers allowing you to project more volume than 2. When running my VJ on 3 its more than enough with my 4x12 to play along with a loud CD, but when running it with one 12 inch speaker I need to crank it about 6. I don't know why you people are so biased against halfstacks.
Quote by Proper_Burial
I will play with just the drummer, no vocals , no bass, and no lead guitarist and I had to put the volume of the half stack that just died up between 8-9 in volume in order to be heard. He hits the drums so damn hard, plus the size of the room that we are playing in. I used the crate 120 amp that I had to put on 10 in volume, and it could barely be heard. SO, the Crate half stack was louder then the combo amp, and I was still having to go up to almost 10 in my volume. So, now add in bass and vocals and another guitar, a combo will not work!!!!!!!!!

honestly, i don't think you understand the laws of physics that apply here. first of all, i have that crate halfstack. it doesn't cut through and that's plainly because the amp sucks.
if you're turning the 'shape' knob all the up, then there you just killed your midrange and significantly lost the guitar in midst of all the other noise that's around you.

just trust our time that we're spending in telling you that more speakers does not add an significant amount of volume, especially in your case.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Oh yeah... What is your mids at?
Scooped mids will make your guitar get lost in the mix.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well did you know that in order to double the volume, wattage needs to be multiplied by 10? I'm not even kidding, you DONT need a half stack. A 100 Watt stack will NOT be that much louder than a 50 watt combo. Also, tube wattage is louder by a ton than SS wattage. So honestly, just look into some tube combos, you wont be disapointed.
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
First off, are you aware that tube amps are not equal in volume to a SS amp? A 50w tube amp is more than twice as loud as a 50w SS, in fact I think my 50w tube amp is louder than some 120w SS amps i've heard.

Also YES adding more speakers does increase the volume SOME WHAT, HOWEVER the rule I've always heard is that every time you double your speakers you gain 3dB, so going from a 2x12 to a 4x12 gets you a whopping 3dB (Thats sarcasm, meaning 3dB isn't very much),

Trust me, 50w tube is loud enough to gig with, I know many people who gig with Mesa Single Recto's not on a PA and they are more than loud enough to do gigs with.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by CJRocker
I don't know why you people are so biased against halfstacks.

I'm not biased against halfstacks, I own one. I'm biased against cheap halfstacks.
Quote by doggy_hat
You can get a nice used tube stack
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
I would get a used Dual Rec and just use your cab...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Dude, if you have a stack, you have a cab...meaning all you need is a replacement head.....so that being said

Bugera (tried one today firsthand finally, and it was sexy!)

Used 5150 or XXX

B-52 AT-100

Or, do like me and find an old used Randall!!!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Proper_Burial

Before, you were playing through a SS Crate half stack. If you buy a tube amp, it will be louder than your old half stack. Therefore, you will not need as many watts as your old amp had if you get a tube amp, which means a combo will work.

You cannot compare SS watts and tube watts. For example, if you have a SS amp that is 15 watts, and a tube amp that is also 15 watts, the tube amp will always sound louder to the human ear. They are just different from each other.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by Proper_Burial

I dont think you understand the physics of this
It just seems like you cant hear yourself with the combo amp vs the 4x12, because of sound distribution.
The combo amp isn't directly putting out any volume straight at your ears, where as a 4x12 is. But a 4x12 is also putting out the same amount of overall volume as a 2x12.

And not to mention, 50 watts of solid state is nothing, but 50 tube watts WILL give you hearing damage.
Thats a PROMISE. its just a matter of time. I seriously doubt that you need more than 50 watts, unless you need headroom.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by The Real Ming
Dude, don't listen to these wankers on here. An arguement can be made for both camps. If you have the money and want a halfstack, get one.

wankers?
I mean, he can definitely have a halfstack if he wants one, but he feels he needs one, when in reality, more speakers =\= more volume.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Find a used Marshall JCM900 or a used Peavey 5150 on ebay, or possibly craigslist. Those amps should be able to do all the styles you mentioned, but you might want an OD pedal for the Marshall. I have a JCM900 stack and I think it would be able to handle the music you mentioned if both gain knobs were all the way up, but you might want a little more. If you want a good head, then you're going to need to use your Crate cap for now. It wont make your heads sound as good as they should, but at least you'll be able to use it. Defenitly invest in a better cab down the road though, you'll need it, and you'll just be cheating yourself out of a good amp if you dont.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
Quote by Proper_Burial

A 50 watt tube combo will pwn your SS half stack for loudness, unless you gotta 300+ watt SS.

Personally, I'd go for a 5150/6505, that's what Chris Hannah (Propagandhi) uses.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I'd say the B-52 AT100 is the BEST bet.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
A 30 watt tube combo is usually loud enough to be heard over an obnoxiously loud drummer. I can get away with having the volume on my VC30 (which is 30 watts) at 4 sometimes. if your drummer is REALLY that insanely loud, then get a 50 watt tube combo, it will probably be more than loud enough. you'll usually get a better amp for your money if you go with a combo.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by FrenchBread
First off, are you aware that tube amps are not equal in volume to a SS amp? A 50w tube amp is more than twice as loud as a 50w SS, in fact I think my 50w tube amp is louder than some 120w SS amps i've heard.

Also YES adding more speakers does increase the volume SOME WHAT, HOWEVER the rule I've always heard is that every time you double your speakers you gain 3dB, so going from a 2x12 to a 4x12 gets you a whopping 3dB (Thats sarcasm, meaning 3dB isn't very much),

Trust me, 50w tube is loud enough to gig with, I know many people who gig with Mesa Single Recto's not on a PA and they are more than loud enough to do gigs with.

Agreed that 50w valve is plenty for everyone.

But I have to disagree with adding speakers. Sound is basically moving air particles, so more speakers=more surface area=more air moved=louder. So moving from a 2x12 to a 4x12 would make you louder. A 3db gain can be quite significant, depending on what frequency(s) the gain is at.
If you look at safety regulations for working environment sound levels, thedaily max exposure is usually cut in half per 3db increase. (I'm not saying its twice as loud though)

BUT, you guys are right. You don't need a 4x12 for the sake of having one. Because with a decent amp, good EQ, and amp placement/room acoustics you can get plenty of volume out of a 2x12. As one of the main benefits of a 4x12 is that the speakers are higher up/angled towards you.

Also, I fail to see how you can't be heard with a 120w SS amp. I've played in a room with another guitarist and a drummer with 20-30w line 6/Marshall MG combos. The tone sucked ass, which was to be expected, but I could still be heard. Try some EQing.
Last edited by thedonutman at Mar 2, 2008,
If you are looking to replace just your head unit, check out the B-52 AT100 for sure. I bought one a week ago, after doing a lot of reading and researching. You can find one on Ebay most of the time or if you have a good salesman a Guitar center try them (which is where I got mine for $500 new). If anyone is looking for a tube amp it is hard to go wrong with the AT100, this thing is a monster.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Fail. Why do you need a halfstack?

or rather why did u get a crate
halfstacks are pointless unless ur playing stadiums without a PA which isnt too often..... you just pay for the size when for the money you could get a combo that sounds sooo much better.
best signature ever
peavey 5150/6505 head will be great for you. Everyone here says you don't need a halfstack, which is probably true. Tube amps are a lot louder than Solid State amps. This one can go particularly loud. You may even consider selling your 4x12 and replacing it with a 2x12 or a pair of 1x12s, because they're easier to carry and will likely be loud enough. Plus, you have a PA, so its main function will be to get a tone that cuts through.

I just played a gig, and by far the hardest thing was to get the tones right so that everyone could be heard. and even then, **** still went wrong, like especially come solo time

But my point is, your tone is the most crucial thing for being heard, because you can almost always boost volume, with a PA, on your amp, etc, but if your tone is muddy shit, no one will hear you.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.