Hey,
Today, when I plugged in, when I turned up my amp to slightly loud (getting slightly louder than sitting-next-to-it volume). Anyways, I start hearing this random loud crackle when I pick harder. I was thinking that this was a blown speaker.
Tell me if this isn't the problem. I don't believe that it's the amp, because at low volumes, it's fine, and all the power tubes and preamp tubes are working properly (I did the pencil check). Is there any tell-tale signs of which speaker is blown (if not a few), and if I just disconnect the blown speaker (while leaving the other 3 in), will that fix everything up no questions asked?

Thanks!

Also, I was thinking of swapping the stock speakers out for a while for a set of warehouse speakers. Sadly, their best speakers are 12", but they do have a nice looking 10".
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If you can take the speaker out you should be able to tell. I just made a thread b/c I'm having the same problem, but can't see the speaker.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Since I have an open back, could I just place my hand on the speaker cone and hit the strings so it crackles, and should that lead me to the blown speaker?
I've also noticed that this has done this in the past when I would dime my amp, but never at this low of a volume.

It may be a cable problem, i'll give it a shot, but I really don't think so.
Because if it were a cable problem, wouldn't it give me problems at any volume?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Mar 1, 2008,
I tried a different cable on mine and it didn't make a difference. Try it on yours though.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
NEWS FLASH:
I turned my reverb down lower, and now it's gone.
So, could the problem be in my reverb tank?

If so, how should I go about fixing it?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Check your connections on the cable going to your reverb tank. Is the Send/Return on the Reverb solid state or tube?
Quote by CJRocker
Check your connections on the cable going to your reverb tank. Is the Send/Return on the Reverb solid state or tube?

First off, what does the reverb tank look like (sorry for being noob)?
Also, I believe that the send/return is solidstate, but i'm not sure.
it's a peavey classic 50 for the record.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
First off, what does the reverb tank look like (sorry for being noob)?
Also, I believe that the send/return is solidstate, but i'm not sure.
it's a peavey classic 50 for the record.

No clue without seeing the manual/schematic. Check the manual, but my guess is also solid state. The reverb tank should be on the bottom, and is a metal box with two wires hanging coming off it that plug into it.
All right, i'll look for the schematic online.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
reverb tank more than likely will look like a huge spring above a metal casing (same lenght)
Quote by False_God
reverb tank more than likely will look like a huge spring above a metal casing (same lenght)

The spring is always hidden by the casing though, otherwise number oen, it would be open to any debris in the back, and number to it wouldn't reverberate without being in the small area between the case and the chassis.
Should it be on the outside of the amp itself (I can take off the back to gain access to the circuitry inside)? There is a metal box with several cables coming from it. Is this the reverb tank?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by CJRocker
The spring is always hidden by the casing though, otherwise number oen, it would be open to any debris in the back, and number to it wouldn't reverberate without being in the small area between the case and the chassis.

Possibly, Im only going really on what was in my Mesa pre. (I think. lol!)
None the less, what he said
Quote by darkarbiter7
Should it be on the outside of the amp itself (I can take off the back to gain access to the circuitry inside)? There is a metal box with several cables coming from it. Is this the reverb tank?

Sounds like that is the reverb tank, it has 2 rca connections? (the type used for a DVD player?)

and for you own knowledge, a blown speaker will smell like burning, and if you try and push it with your hand it will feel kinda tough and grindy,

A normal speaker will be easy and smooth.
UPDATE:
I found a small black box with several color coded cables going from it on the outside of my amp, then I traced them in and found them connecting to several other things. I have a feeling that the small black box wasn't the tank. I just made sure all the connections were solid (they all felt solid). But whatever I did, it fixed it right up.
Anyways, thanks for your help!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator