i went to guitarcenter to try them both out but i honestly cud barely see a difference between them. of course its almost 100 bucks more tho so there has to be something to it.

but i wanted to ask everyone if they think the extra 100 is really worth it over the big muff?? only one other question: i didnt realize that the black guarding on top has tubes underneath it...does that mean they blow out and u have to replace them just like in amps??
They're two different sounding pedals, you'll have to decide what you prefer.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
They are two totally different pedals. What kind of amp do you have, what genre do you play, and what is your price range?
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
i agree, very different pedals, both good for own reasons
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
They are two totally different pedals. What kind of amp do you have, what genre do you play, and what is your price range?

im mainly trying to nail tones of john frusciante, and of course hendrix as well.

blues/funk. all that kinda stuff. and i have a fender deluxe tube amp.

i can afford the english muff'n, but i just want opinions on whether its really worth the extra 100 is all. cuz i cud just get the big muff if that satisfies me but sometimes i dont realize how useful the better pedal cud be until a while later.

but as of the playtime i had, i personally thot the big muff was a better deal.
as said the muff and muffn are completely different. id say a bigmuff and a tubescreamer would be money better spent. im not a big fan of the muffn, you could get a better pedal for almost 200$.
For Frusciante's tone I would definitely go with the big muff because thats what he actually uses.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I've only played russian muff, but i +1 to whoever said tubescreamer. They are amazing.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
For Frusciante's tone I would definitely go with the big muff because thats what he actually uses.

You do realise he took it off his pedalboard and replaced it with the muff'n. I'm sure he still uses though/it will go back on.
Gear:
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
Marshall TSL-601
Squire Strat
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

I'm in a chain of memories, it's my will
Try out other pedals too, you might like a Fuzz Face!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by tremaine2007
You do realise he took it off his pedalboard and replaced it with the muff'n. I'm sure he still uses though/it will go back on.

unless ur talking about concert stuff that i wudnt know, im positive he didnt replace it. he uses both, in a particular interview that i know theres a good chance uve already read it but just in case here u go anyway : http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/red-hot-chili/Sep-06/23160

he does use the english muffn primarily but he still uses the big muff at times i think. and to me there isnt like a humongous "wow" in the differences btwn them. im just wondering if maybe the time i spent with it was wasted and i just didnt see the difference or not.

i will probably go back and give it another whirl, but it helps to hear other people's feedback.
^Haha I've read that article a million times, but I'm just saying that he replaced the big muff with the muff'n for his live pedal board sometime during the SA tour. I'm sure he still uses the big muff though and will be using it.
Gear:
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
Marshall TSL-601
Squire Strat
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

I'm in a chain of memories, it's my will
Quote by tremaine2007
^Haha I've read that article a million times, but I'm just saying that he replaced the big muff with the muff'n for his live pedal board sometime during the SA tour. I'm sure he still uses the big muff though and will be using it.

haha sry i figured u probably have, just in case i posted it.
i know, its annoying when stuff like that happens.
Honestly, I'd get an older Sovtec Big Muff from eBay if you want a Muff. From what I hear, the reissues don't really live up to the vintage models from the 70s. The Sovtec version is apparently almost identical to the 70s versions....

But no matter what Muff you get, buy yourself some sort of boost pedal as well. The Muff doesn't really come to life until you give it that extra power.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
Honestly, I'd get an older Sovtec Big Muff from eBay if you want a Muff. From what I hear, the reissues don't really live up to the vintage models from the 70s. The Sovtec version is apparently almost identical to the 70s versions....

But no matter what Muff you get, buy yourself some sort of boost pedal as well. The Muff doesn't really come to life until you give it that extra power.

wats a boost pedal?
Quote by tremaine2007

This guy is definitely right, Froosh replaced his Big Muff with a Muff'n
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by jxljxl
This guy is definitely right, Froosh replaced his Big Muff with a Muff'n

+1. But I highly recommend the Big Muff over the Muff'n. Even Frusciante himself says that the Muff'n can be overly bright (and it will be with a strat and a fender amp like you've got). Also most of his sounds can be closely achieved with the Big Muff. However it seems to me that he uses the DS-2 more than he uses the Big Muff.
Quote by thebrewfan
+1. But I highly recommend the Big Muff over the Muff'n. Even Frusciante himself says that the Muff'n can be overly bright (and it will be with a strat and a fender amp like you've got). Also most of his sounds can be closely achieved with the Big Muff. However it seems to me that he uses the DS-2 more than he uses the Big Muff.

well i use the ds-1 and after listening to sound demos online i decided i dont wanna invest in the ds-2, they sound the same to me.
Quote by desol89
wats a boost pedal?

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=243
^That article explains it well enough. basically, it boosts the signal going to your amp, giving you a more powerful sound. That's putting it very roughly, though.

basically, here's what a driven Muff could sound like, though you'll probably put your settings differently and have a somewhat different sound than this: http://www.gilmourish.com/wp-content/downloads/animals_shineon1.mp3 . Muff kicks in about a third of the way through.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=243
^That article explains it well enough. basically, it boosts the signal going to your amp, giving you a more powerful sound. That's putting it very roughly, though.

basically, here's what a driven Muff could sound like, though you'll probably put your settings differently and have a somewhat different sound than this: http://www.gilmourish.com/wp-content/downloads/animals_shineon1.mp3 . Muff kicks in about a third of the way through.

alrite thanks, i get the basic idea.

but that sound demo didnt even sound like a muff to me.
Quote by desol89
well i use the ds-1 and after listening to sound demos online i decided i dont wanna invest in the ds-2, they sound the same to me.

the ds-1 and the ds-2's turbo mode sound nothing alike. if you want Frusciante tone that is what you should get, especially if you're after his tone from Slane Castle.
Quote by thebrewfan
the ds-1 and the ds-2's turbo mode sound nothing alike. if you want Frusciante tone that is what you should get, especially if you're after his tone from Slane Castle.

maybe i shud give it a whirl then, thanks for the advice.

cuz i do love his tone from slane castle and that wud be nice to have that.
yeah through a nice tube amp, your deluxe will do fine, it almost nails the intro tone. a '62 strat helps too.