Okay so, I recently bought myself a guitar after playing bass for about a year and a half, and it's really hard for me to play powerchords. I can position my fingers correctly for one, but I keep having to bend my wrist at a 90 degree angle and my wrist is beginning to hurt. I fear that I might develope wrist problems when I grow up, so I want to know if there's a different way to play them without hurting my wrist, or is that the only way and I'll just have to live with the pain?

power chords shouldnt be hurting you unless your just tense, bar chords can be painful after a bit however. Also raise your strap, if your playing your guitar arouind your waist then you'll have to contort your wrist in order to play.
thats no good about your wrist hurting. im not really sure what more you can do other than lay your wrist at a less painful angle or trying baring the a and d string or d and g string depending on what type of power chord you are playing.
if your standing.. make your strap shorter.. get you guitar up higher
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Metal_Hed_23, will you marry me?

Quote by drewfromutah
If she takes her pill properly and you still pill out or use a condom, just quit having sex altogether. The damn pill was built so that you can ride bareback and film your own creampie movies afterwards.
I can't imagine having to bend my wrist 90 degrees to play a powerchord.

my hands are average-small sized, I guess.

maybe the neck of your guitar is too fat.

take a picture of it.
Well, it's just a regular Squier Stratocaster neck. I raised the strap and it works a little better, I guess. But even playing while sitting down still causes some pain.