So in the coming summer i will be getting a second job and i figure i will probably have about 1700 dollars(cad) to spend around june. So i decided it was time to upgrade my amp and guitar. Basically i am looking for a guitar that will be suitable for a wide variety of music styles (i like blues, metal(classic metal), classic rock, jazz, etc.) and that preferably doesn't favour a style of music appearance wise (razorback). I was thinking a stratocaster, les paul, gibson v, etc. As for an amp im totally up to suggestions but i would prefer a tube combo around 30 watts or lower. As of now i was thinking of an orange tiny terror stack or a mesa boogie express but am concerned about putting out that much money. Would it be smart to spend so much on an amp?

Also, my local music store has this guitar that i came across which is a fender standard MIM strat that was 600 dollars marked down to 300. It is a limited edition with a "paint splatter" paint job (tye dye somewhat). Theyve had it for a while and if they still have it when im buying should i consider this guitar?

Thanks, guerilla radio
Free Mumia
The "Splatocaster" sounds like a good deal. Yes, you should put out a good amount of money for a amp because it is about 80% of your tone.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Anything even close to tie dye is awesome, at least for me, if the strat plays well then get it.

As for the amp, the express is a really versatile amp. Look into the traynor YCV50, I'm getting it cause of its versatility, and marshally overdrive
How much is 1700 cad in usd?

Strats are great, i have a MIM strat and it's really fun to play. You might want to look at the HSS strat if you want more versatility especially for metal which you might need that humbucker for. My strat still sounds pretty good with heavy distortion but i think my Carvin that has a humbucker in the bridge sounds better with distortion so thats why i say HSS strat.

Les Pauls are also pretty versatile and they look great As for amp, I have a Fender Blues Duluxe which is 40watts. You said 30 or under so i guess you won't want it. But no matter what anyone says this amp is very versatile for all sorts of music. Especially when i hook up my metal muff.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
an HSS strat may be up you alley, maybe MIM (500) or even something from the deluxe series (around 700)

for an amp, im just taking a guess, but maybe a peavey classic 30 or 50. Spending more on an amp than guitar will usually garner you a better tone.

Ever think of getting any effects??

Quote by CroneR
How much is 1700 cad in usd?

currency is around even now, i.e. its 1700 USD
Quote by hawk5211
an HSS strat may be up you alley, maybe MIM (500) or even something from the deluxe series (around 700)

for an amp, im just taking a guess, but maybe a peavey classic 30 or 50. Spending more on an amp than guitar will usually garner you a better tone.

Ever think of getting any effects??

currency is around even now, i.e. its 1700 USD

I am open to getting effects for my tone if you guys can recommend some good pedals but as of now i have a wah pedal (****ty behringer though) and an EHX metal muff. I was thinking about getting a whammy pedal next christmas, and maybe a delay/new wah/overdrive/eq soon
Free Mumia
+1 to the EQ if you want to improve your tone. I have a Boss GE-7 and it's pretty cool how much you can affect your tone with one pedal.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
isn't $1.7K Canadian = $1.7K US?

I would get an American Deluxe Strat for about $1.3K w/ shipping.
try looking at the jackson soloist series. awsome versatile guitars. or maybe you could get a custom like a carvin or something
Quote by ironman1478
try looking at the jackson soloist series. awsome versatile guitars. or maybe you could get a custom like a carvin or something

Would the jackson be good for blues/jazz style music though. I always thought that jaxksons were to heavy sounding. And i dont really like the feel of jacksons
Free Mumia
Quote by guerilla radio
Would it be smart to spend so much on an amp?

yes.
It's never a waste putting money into a good amp. Vox amps are nice, they have great cleans. Especially the Tubed ones, and Gibsons are probably a good bet, or start.
Quote by guerilla radio
Would the jackson be good for blues/jazz style music though. I always thought that jaxksons were to heavy sounding. And i dont really like the feel of jacksons

the soloists have a single coil in the middle which would make it pretty good for blues/jazz. the carvin though would be good because you can make it to your exact specifications for way less than a custom guitar by a luthier
Quote by haz_uk
yes.

But i mean like im somewhat of a beginner i guess you could say. i played three years self taught and only started lessons three weeks ago. So would spending close to a grand on an amk really be worth it for me. On the other hand though if i ever start gigging that would be nice to have or even if i join a band.
Free Mumia
Quote by ironman1478
the soloists have a single coil in the middle which would make it pretty good for blues/jazz. the carvin though would be good because you can make it to your exact specifications for way less than a custom guitar by a luthier

How much are carvins though and i assume you have to order then online?
Free Mumia
here is an example of 1 of their guitars that you can customize.
https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=bolt
they have more guitars but that is their most popular one. they have superstrats also, also like the others said if you dont have a good amp, you could have the best guitar in the world but if the amp is a piece of **** then its a waste, so if you dont like your amp invest in a tube/valve(samething) amp
Quote by guerilla radio
But i mean like im somewhat of a beginner i guess you could say. i played three years self taught and only started lessons three weeks ago. So would spending close to a grand on an amk really be worth it for me. On the other hand though if i ever start gigging that would be nice to have or even if i join a band.

having a great tone will only make you want to play and learn more.

go for it.
I'm always put off at spending a lot of money on things too. It's probably not that you can't afford it, since you said you have around $1700 to spend. It's probably the fact that you're spending so much money on one thing.

I think having good gear will motivate you to play better. Also, you only live once. Might as well make the best of it, right?
Check the Schecter C-1 Classic, incredible guitar. Neck-thru mahogany, with a quilted maple top. A beautiful neck inlay, called vine of life. It's loaded with 2 humbuckers :

Neck : Seymour Duncan 59'
Bridge : Seymour Duncan JB

I use it for Jazz (VERY nice warm tones), mainstream rock (think Nickelback) and Prog Metal/rock (opeth/dream theater). It's an amazing guitar. And it looks stunning.

All that for 750$ It's insane.
http://media.schecterguitars.com/imgs/hr_c1_classic_3tsb.jpg
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Quote by haz_uk
having a great tone will only make you want to play and learn more.

go for it.

+1, a good amp would be awesome...

On the other hand, it is just as important to have a good guitar IMO. I would personally feel more enthuastic about playing guitar if it looked good and played brilliantly and have average tone than have a guitar that I didn't enjoy and have awesome tone. Of course, it's purely subjective...

Anyway, I would recommend a Fender MIM Strat (or maybe Deluxe Player), Yamaha Pacifica 412J (something along those lines), maybe a Michael Kelly Patriot of sorts or an Ibanez Artcore guitar. They all pretty versatile guitars IMO.

As for amp, I would check out a Peavey Classic 30, Fender Blues Junion / Hotrod Deluxe or a Traynor as suggested above.

An important thing to note is to actually try out these guitars in store and try as many guitars as possible! One person's favourite could be someone else's worst guitar! For example, Schecter is well-loved on this forum but I must say, they aren't that great IMO. Feels weird. But great on paper and spec sheet. =)