I've just taken my strings off today I've noticed how rusted my pickups really are.
Someone said clean them withsand paper or steel wool.
Good or bad idea?
(P.S.I have about 3 days to do this)
They have a (usually) nickel cover on them. (big metal box)
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by which ones pink
Try some WD-40 on a Q-tip, if that doesn't work some 0000 steel wool on the polepieces only (if you have covered pickups, steel wool will scratch them).

I've found steel wool can mark up the bobbins too. I would say ScotchBrite, but it will do the same thing. I also had good luck with the WD40/3-36 and a q-tip method on an Ibanez I recently sold
Quote by Ian hawkins
I've just taken my strings off today I've noticed how rusted my pickups really are.
Someone said clean them withsand paper or steel wool.
Good or bad idea?
(P.S.I have about 3 days to do this)

Super bad idea!!! Don't Do It!

Your pickups are magnetic. Where to you think the little bits of steel wool are going to go when they flake off? They end up inside your pickup and they cut their way through the wire inside and leave you with a dead pickup. Unfortunatly, the rust will do the same thing so you either have to risk killing your pickup for something that is only a cosmetic issue or you can leave it alone becuase it's not hurting anything. I'd suggest you leave it alone. If you do feel like you have to do something then a 4D 40 on a Q tip is probably your best option, but don't EVER use anything abrasive on your pickups.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 2, 2008,
I use 3 in 1 oil on most of my hardware more of a prevention than cure thing but dont smother it just a tiny dab every now and then stops rust appearing. I even use them on my strings and it makes them last longer.

Has anyone else used 3 in 1 oil

Thanks

Alfie
Use coke (the drink, not the narcotic) on like cotton bud, and keep dabbing them. It actually gets rid of rust really well, but make sure its new coke or it won't work as well.
Real men don't need sigs.