I've been wanting a guitar with sound similar, actually very close to Joe Satriani's sine I play most of his kinda stuff

so what would be the better buy?

Ibanez - RG2620CBK

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2620CBK-Electric-Guitar?sku=517964

or
Ibanez - JS1200

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-JS1200-Joe-Satriani-Signature-Guitar?sku=519419

I figured the JS is a bit over priced being a sig. model, although I have played it a few times before and I like it. I never played the other guitar though.

quality wise, which is better?

Thanks
Satriani uses the JS1200 himself, so you'd have the exact same guitar that he uses. However, most of his sound is in his hands and his amp; so unless you have a Peavey JSX, either of those Ibanez's would probably get you close enough. They're both basswood, with DiMarzio humbuckers...
For $1200 you could go a hundred higher and just get a Prestige...
But I think the first one looks cooler. The JS is way too overpriced IMO, so I'd really say either the RG or a Prestige. Probably the RG, cause it's more of a Satch sound I think.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
You can't get a Satch sound without his amp.
Bottom line. Screw buying a new guitar, get a peavey JSX
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Joe Satriani uses a Marshall 6100 Aniversary head... And Boss pedals (mostly) for his sound. I have a AC15 Vox tube amp at the moment, and a JCM 2000 Marshall Combo tube amp.

I also have a Cry baby Wah wah, the only problem I have right now is the fact that I have a epiphone explorer, with weak pick ups and no tremolo.

So I need to start somewhere, and I need a reliable guitar. ;]
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
For $1200 you could go a hundred higher and just get a Prestige...
But I think the first one looks cooler. The JS is way too overpriced IMO, so I'd really say either the RG or a Prestige. Probably the RG, cause it's more of a Satch sound I think.

+1, the prestiges are really nice. And not too much more expensive.
Gear:
Cort AD-850 NS
MIM Strat
Cube 30x
Quote by nan0
Joe Satriani uses a Marshall 6100 Aniversary head

These days he's using the Peavey JSX heads. GuitarGeek.com needs to be updated; the 6100s are in his 2000 rig.
I saw him in concert, 20th Anniversary surfing with the alien aguest 15th, 2007. He was using a Marshall stack.

Although his back up guitarist did use the JSX. I'm not a preset type of guy, and like I said I need a Floating trem. I already have the SWTA sound

btw, isn't that Ibanez a prestige?
RG2620CBK is a prestige model and so is the JS1200. Wake up people!
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso