alrite so i have a jackson and im going to buy an EMG 60 and i already have the EMG 81 but with out all the wirirng but i plan on buying it when i go to install the pickups. i want some1's opinion on weather having the EMG 60 nd 81 will make my guitar sound good nd is it approprieate for a heavy metal tone? or shuld i just get the EMG 85? also does anyone know how much it would cost to install the pickups?
Personally, I've never used the 60, but I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with playing metal with EMGs. My Viper is one of the best metal guitars I've played (It has an 81 in the bridge, 85 in the neck).

How much would they cost to install? Depends on where you get them installed at.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
i plan on installing them at guitar center. i forgot to mention that earlier
An EMG 81 will definitely give you a good metal tone. I've never used the 60, i have the 81/85, but I've heard good things about 60's.
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

Amp?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Why didn't you get an amp geared towards metal?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
dude if you put emg in anything it wont sound good...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Sorry to steal the topic, but since it's already about EMG's, i wanna ask if would EMGs sound good on a Razorback through a Peavey Valveking 112? Im getting my first EMG's tomorrow. Plus since 81/85 is the most popular combo, is it also good for lead soloing?

Tnx.
Quote by Kidfadetoblack
Sorry to steal the topic, but since it's already about EMG's, i wanna ask if would EMGs sound good on a Razorback through a Peavey Valveking 112? Im getting my first EMG's tomorrow. Plus since 81/85 is the most popular combo, is it also good for lead soloing?

Tnx.

EMGs are ideal in tubes amps, so yeah it'll sound great.
Quote by rwalby9
EMGs are ideal in tubes amps, so yeah it'll sound great.

I heard that EMG 81/60 is also nice, but what would you recommend, 81/60 or 81/85? I play mostly metal and alot of rythm, but i also play some lead and some clean songs.
Quote by Kidfadetoblack
I heard that EMG 81/60 is also nice, but what would you recommend, 81/60 or 81/85? I play mostly metal and alot of rythm, but i also play some lead and some clean songs.

Go with the 81/60 bro. The 60 is pretty decent for cleans.
well this helped solve my problem as well. lol 81/60 it is then for me. but any one no how much itll cost at guitarcenter to install em?
Quote by Mgllpz09
well this helped solve my problem as well. lol 81/60 it is then for me. but any one no how much itll cost at guitarcenter to install em?

Called my Guitar Center here at Lawndale, CA and it costs $50. Not sure about your Guitar center
Do it your self. Emg's are hella easy to install.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
Do it your self. Emg's are hella easy to install.

well im taking off the stock ones nd suppoesdly theyre supposed to be rewired compltetly so i dnt want to mess it up.
Quote by Mgllpz09
well im taking off the stock ones nd suppoesdly theyre supposed to be rewired compltetly so i dnt want to mess it up.

It's truly very easy and EMG gives great instructions. Basically you remove the old pickups and pots, put the new pots and pickups in (basically the inverse of how you removed them) and snap the wires together. EMG's require no soldering.

Quote by Kidfadetoblack
Just to make sure, 81 is best at neck and 60/85 at bridge ?

81 at bridge 60/85 at neck.

i prefer 60 over 85.

and to ts, try installing them urself. its quite easy if u know how to use a soldering iron.

edit: to the guy above me, emg's do require soldering. only bit that's easier than passive installation is the snap on connection bit.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Last edited by macaroni at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by macaroni
81 at bridge 60/85 at neck.

i prefer 60 over 85.

and to ts, try installing them urself. its quite easy if u know how to use a soldering iron.

edit: to the guy above me, emg's do require soldering. only bit that's easier than passive installation is the snap on connection bit.

OHschica your right. Sorry. But its still very easy to install pickups, and its very hard to mess up in a way that would hurt your guitar unless your an idiot.

hmm well i guess i can give it a try. this is gonna sound pretty stupid but what exactly is soldering? lol. i dnt even know how to open the guitar up either so i can do all teh wiring nd stuff either.lol. im pretty clueless.
Quote by Mgllpz09
hmm well i guess i can give it a try. this is gonna sound pretty stupid but what exactly is soldering? lol. i dnt even know how to open the guitar up either so i can do all teh wiring nd stuff either.lol. im pretty clueless.

Soldering is a process in which two or more metal items are joined together by melting and flowing a filler metal into the joint, the filler metal having a relatively low melting point.
im not sure what model it is but it has a floyd rose nd at the headstock it says Jackson Performer. ive looked it up but havent had any luck. i tried the serial number but its not only so its an import. ithink its an RR1 or RR3.if u look at the guitar Matt Tuck from Bullet For My Valentine has thats the same one. i have a 200 watt Fender Deluxe Reverb.i got it for free so i just took it so dnt ask y i didnt get a marshall or anything else. lol.
Quote by natel0083
60's are good, but I prefer an 81/85 set.

Whats your amp, and what model RR?

Lol we have the exact same amp and distortion pedal except the emg pickups, im getting them tomorrow though hehe. But im in the state of dillema...

Hmmm. 60,85,60,85,60,85. I dont even know anymore >.<
Quote by Mgllpz09

in that case, this time get someone to do it for u BUT ask them if u can watch, so next time u'll know how to do it urself.

to kidfadetoblack: i had an 85 in my schecter and when i put a 60 in, i noticed a vast improvement in the clean tones. so if u need decent cleans, go for 60. or even 89, its coil splittable but costs abit more.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
in that case, this time get someone to do it for u BUT ask them if u can watch, so next time u'll know how to do it urself.

to kidfadetoblack: i had an 85 in my schecter and when i put a 60 in, i noticed a vast improvement in the clean tones. so if u need decent cleans, go for 60. or even 89, its coil splittable but costs abit more.

is the 60 also decent with distortion?
Alot of guitar shops will install your pickups for free if you buy them at their shop, so be sure to shop around before hand.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Kidfadetoblack
is the 60 also decent with distortion?

hell yeah
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer