I am playing the song Europa, by carlos santana and want to perform at a gig in our high school I have a teacher but just a quick question i have, it is regarding the sustain. In europa there are a lot of liftings and in one measure, there is the F note on the 13th fret of the high E string, and you lift that note for a whole measure which makes the note turn into a G when you lift it. My question is how can i make it stay a whole measure. Like I have a boss DD-3 delay pedal set up on 25ms, and my MT-2 distortion pedal, and the sound still doesnt hold for a whole measure, like i know part of it is technique, the volume, set-up etc. But like my guitar teacher said, as much as you want a guitar still plays a part in it. I know it does but like how great. I currently have an epiphone les paul special model 2. If I was to get a Gibson Les Paul classic or standard or even a special, would there be a noticeable difference in how long the sustain holds, or its just pure technique?
Don't buy a $2500 guitar for one song. If it really annoys you, you might consider putting in new pickups. You may consider a sustainer as well.

There are ways to get the note to sustain via technique, such as vibrato, but this is a scenario where the arrow matters as much as the Indian.
It would defnitely have better sustain... what amp do you have?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
fender fm dsp 25 watt. I won't buy it for one song, I want an excuse to get one. lol
^I'd say not, but you know the situation better than I do. However, I suggest playing something more upbeat. Not necessarily a pop tune, but maybe Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" or something like that.

Quote by armenh
fender fm dsp 25 watt. I won't buy it for one song, I want an excuse to get one. lol
Get a new guitar if you want one. Might I suggest Carvin guitars, though. My electric is made by Carvin and every guitarist I know is jealous of me, even guys with Fenders and Gibsons worth 1000s of dollars.

I think I have a DC 135 if you care.
the song is upbeat, like all those 16 notes, beautiful lines, hey, i like the song
but also for an original song, i want to do heavy metal, so like power chords and stuff like that, to level things out
Quote by armenh
the song is upbeat, like all those 16 notes, beautiful lines, hey, i like the song
Agreed; the song is beautiful. However, to call it an upbeat song is just incorrect. I oppose playing metal at a school gig. You'll probably just piss everyone off. I'd stick with something upbeat and well known.

And please refrain from double posting; we have an "edit" button.
You can't just sustain a note like on Europa. It's been ages since I last heard it and jsut about the only thing I remember is that I could never sustain a note like that. Just hit the string again every half note or every quarter note. This would be a pretty ****ty 'excuse' to get such an expensive guitar.
Quote by Psychedelico
which note are you guys talking about?

EDIT: and this shows that sustain is all in the technique

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Js9u9OyaYqk

(look at around 5:15)

That's just controlled feedback, though.
It's not really the same as what the TS was talking about.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Well sustain also has to do with the action of your guitar. The closer the strings are to the fretboard, the less sustain you will get. But it's obviously not a good idea to raise a lot of action just for sustain, you will be playing worse if you raise the action.

I'm not sure though, I think sustain lies in technique and controlling your string, when it comes to sustain I can sustain a note for a lot of time.

You can also pick the note every half measure with an upstroke to make it sound less "picked" and sound as if it's sustained. It's a trick you know.

Check this solo from John Petrucci, in this solo he's got to sustain a lot in some parts, but he sometimes covers it up by picking the string with an upstroke...

And yeah, it's also the delay which gives him sustain.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k5t_b9xOY-I
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Perhaps I didn't read the thread thus far closely enough, but what you need is some compression. A decent compression pedal will be MUCH less expensive than a new guitar.
Quote by Philbigtime
Perhaps I didn't read the thread thus far closely enough, but what you need is some compression. A decent compression pedal will be MUCH less expensive than a new guitar.

This guy's got it right.. Failing that, vibrato ftw.

As for the song you're playing, I play guitar and I got bored listening to that so I doubt most people that don't play guitar will appreciate it much.. You'd be far better off with something better known.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
but a bit of delay and reverb on it?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
That's just controlled feedback, though.
It's not really the same as what the TS was talking about.

how is that controlled feedback? he wouldn't be able to control the pitch by bending the string like that if it was just feedback
Quote by armenh

That's your problem right there, although the Metal Zone won't be helping matters much, it's an atrocious pedal.

For Santana-like sustain you want a loud, overdriven tube amp so you can manipulate the feedback to sustain notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by armenh
I am playing the song Europa, by carlos santana and want to perform at a gig in our high school I have a teacher but just a quick question i have, it is regarding the sustain. In europa there are a lot of liftings and in one measure, there is the F note on the 13th fret of the high E string, and you lift that note for a whole measure which makes the note turn into a G when you lift it. My question is how can i make it stay a whole measure. Like I have a boss DD-3 delay pedal set up on 25ms, and my MT-2 distortion pedal, and the sound still doesnt hold for a whole measure, like i know part of it is technique, the volume, set-up etc. But like my guitar teacher said, as much as you want a guitar still plays a part in it. I know it does but like how great. I currently have an epiphone les paul special model 2. If I was to get a Gibson Les Paul classic or standard or even a special, would there be a noticeable difference in how long the sustain holds, or its just pure technique?

Play loud, on a good Amp with perhaps a sustainer compressor to give you the push required.
I just pick twice, is not that noticeable IMO. I have a recording of that song when i was testing my microcube: http://amlc.dmusic.com/music/

Check out for the Classic Stack audio clip.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS