I have about 900 dollars right now.

I can either afford a les paul vintage mahogany (which is pretty much a studio) or save for a very long time, and try to get myself a les paul classic which is about 2000$.

As a kid with a crappy squier strat, I really want to aim for something that'll make me happy for the rest of my music playing, but am not sure if the 1k difference is worth it.

Opinions everyone?
Music style and Amp?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd say buy a cheaper guitar, maybe in the 500-750 range. Then put the money saved towards a Les Paul Classic. There are much better guitars for the money than the Les Paul Vintage Mahogany. For example:

ESP LTD EC400VF
ESP LTD EC500
Jackson DK2 Dinky

and so on. Those are cheaper guitars and IMO a much better value.
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
I'd say buy a cheaper guitar, maybe in the 500-750 range. Then put the money saved towards a Les Paul Classic. There are much better guitars for the money than the Les Paul Vintage Mahogany. For example:

ESP LTD EC400VF
ESP LTD EC500
Jackson DK2 Dinky

and so on. Those are cheaper guitars and IMO a much better value.

He said he's playing blues, not metal...
I'd say an elitist Epi LP. I've heard the sound is very similar, and the QC is very good, as they are MIJ. Apparently, the only difference is the finish, the headstock, the brand, and where it's built.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
For blues you can get an Ibanez Artcore AS73 (335 style semi-hollow) that is just killer for blues. $300 USD. Also does pretty well with moderate high-gain settings. Put the rest of the money away for the LP. You will want to keep the AS73 though, its a sweet axe. Strange thing about the Ibby is that is sounds a lot like a LP with distortion.