Is there any good way of playing bass just by reading the guitar chords or the treble clef? The trouble is there are many songs I would like to play on bass but I cant find any music that has a bass clef. Just the treble clef and chords
You have to either play by ear or learn to read treble clef. That's pretty much it. Don't most songs come with chord charts though?
Yeah I know how to read the treble clef.. but I have a lot of sheet music that doesn't have a treble clef at all..
Just take the root note from whatever chord is being played and play that. It's not much, but it'll do until you can play by ear/get proper sheet music/learn your theory well enough.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
btw I like how you have metallica right after the bible on your influences Lol
It's how I do most of my playing. Start by playing arpeggios of the chords, and work in more and more other notes from the appropriate scales.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Learn what scales go with what chords, for example when a guitar player has Gminor you know that the notes you can play are the notes of a G Aeolian(natural Minor) scale, or for a jazz type thing maybe a G Dorian(natural minor with a natural 6 instead of flat).

Start with the root, and then branch off to other degrees of the scale. You'll be able to hear what degrees sound good and what sound out of place.

But theres nothing wrong with playing the root when you are first getting the hang of it
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
^That is so incredibly wrong... it's astounding how incorrect that actually was. Anyway, TS, the easiest way to make a good bassline around a chord is to use it's scale for right now. Don't worry about modes or anything just yet, just look at minor and major scales. They'll probably be fine until you can get some more theory under your belt.
jeesus guys i just realised when i looked at my previous posts. I was on UG today at school during lunch, and left PC on, and my mate just told me on MSN that he had posted random crap on bass forums!!! Believe it or not hes a bassist!!! Anyway if you dont believe me check the IPs
Quote by Varkunus
jeesus guys i just realised when i looked at my previous posts. I was on UG today at school during lunch, and left PC on, and my mate just told me on MSN that he had posted random crap on bass forums!!! Believe it or not hes a bassist!!! Anyway if you dont believe me check the IPs

LOL PWNT

On topic - Chords are very beautiful on bass. What do you guys think the best tuning is for chording on bass?

/on topicness

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Varkunus

Tell your friend to kill himself...if you're not lying that is
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Another thing to do would be to get a teacher (if you don't already have one)

I'm actually learning this exact thing right now. My teacher is really a guitarist who has played around on bass a little, but he went to Dukane (some music school in one of the Carolinas) and majored in music theory. And he LOVES theory. It really helps you learn the material when your teacher is playing the guitar
chords along with you.
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
Quote by bigwilly
Learn what scales go with what chords, for example when a guitar player has Gminor you know that the notes you can play are the notes of a G Aeolian(natural Minor) scale, or for a jazz type thing maybe a G Dorian(natural minor with a natural 6 instead of flat).

Start with the root, and then branch off to other degrees of the scale. You'll be able to hear what degrees sound good and what sound out of place.

But theres nothing wrong with playing the root when you are first getting the hang of it

so instead of just taking what key its in and playing that scale you can take whatever chord the guitar is playing and switch scales every new chord? that makes sense I guess
ok. Yeah I ussually play guitar at a church for the morning service but the church already has 3 guitarists and only one bassist that rarely shows up. so I'm trying to teach myself bass. It's not as much fun playing without a bassist..