ok so me and my band recently began playing this really dark sort of riff thats kinda becoming a song now... but i have no idea what key its in and they want me to do a bass solo... mainly because im a better guitarist than the actual guitarist.. yet they have me on bass... but its a helluva lot easier to solo if u know the key haha

anyways... what key is this? im thinking Am cuz the tonic is A but idk...

bass part:
A|---------------5--5--5-0-3--3--3-0--------------- repeat
E|---5--5--5-0-------------------------4--4--4-0---

guitar chord progression:
Am, Dm, C, E

thanks for any input

sorry for being a n00b guys, but u gotta start somewhere haha
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
Last edited by led_zeppelin678 at Mar 1, 2008,
The E major chord means that the seventh degree has been raised, making it A harmonic minor. The bass line conflicts with the chord progression a bit, but if you avoid that F# over the Dm chord, you could actually imply A melodic minor.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 1, 2008,
The notes that are being played fit into A Dorian, not A minor, because you're hitting that F# which is the major sixth of A rather than an F, which would be the minor sixth.

And that F# sticks out like a sore thumb, imo.

EDIT: ^ Just reading the post and looking at the information he gave, I highly doubt they're realizing those particular implications of playing an E major as opposed to an E minor. And again, the bass is playing a major sixth, so it couldn't be A harmonic minor.

TL;DR, it's a theoretical mess, play in A Dorian and damn the torpedoes.
no
Last edited by bucky_2300 at Mar 1, 2008,
haha ok i typed the bassline wrong :[ im sorry guys, its G# not F# in the bassline
ughhh so yeah check it again? dammit

sorry bout that :[
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
Quote by led_zeppelin678
haha ok i typed the bassline wrong :[ im sorry guys, its G# not F# in the bassline
ughhh so yeah check it again? dammit

sorry bout that :[

Pure harmonic minor, then.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Pure harmonic minor, then.

ok so A harmonic minor?
thanks a lot :]
Quote by britneyspears69