Ok, so I just got my first tube amp this past christmas, a Marshall DSL 50 head with cab. I really like that bluesy tone as in John Mayer and SRV some Hendrix. I know most will say get a Fender amp, I will get one eventually, but right now I like the all around tone I get with the Marshall. Im debating on a Ibanez TS9 tube screamer or a Boss Blues Driver. The only pedal I can go try is the BD-2. I have great tone on my clean channel but I just want some better gain and saturation. Which one would you guys recommend?
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Dean ML Select
Customized Schecter Omen-6
Taylor 214e
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960 cab
Cube 15
Vox Wah
Blues Driver BD-2

Quote by Chordzzz
can you fuсk it?

Quote by nebiru
Oh I will find a way.
Get a blues driver and mod it.
It's "meh" stock.
What kind of budget do you have?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Budget wise, I was trying to keep it to $100 if possible. I did look at the Keeley Blues Driver and It may be a bit out of range for me though.
Dean ML Select
Taylor 214e
Cube 15
Vox Wah
Blues Driver BD-2

Quote by Chordzzz
can you fuсk it?

Quote by nebiru
Oh I will find a way.
This is the 3rd time that I have posted this today, but look into whizzer mods on ebay.
Just search whizzer-mods on the seller search, and he has a bunch of stuff for sale. He usually has modded tubescreamers going up for 87 bucks (100 including shipping), but i'm not sure if he has any up right now.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ts-9 is the obvious choice
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I know that John Mayer uses a modded Blues Driver by Keeley. SRV used a TS-808, vintage. You can get the reissue, which is what I have, and it works pretty nicely, but the Marshall won't get you their tone. They use Dumbles and Fender Twins and Fender vibroluxes. They have bell cleans and use the pedal for its only source of OD, with a little bit of natural saturation. Marshalls break up a lot sooner than Fender amps, but you'll get close with either a modded Blues Driver, or the TS.

Also look at the Blues Devil by MJM.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
I know that John Mayer uses a modded Blues Driver by Keeley. SRV used a TS-808, vintage. You can get the reissue, which is what I have, and it works pretty nicely, but the Marshall won't get you their tone. They use Dumbles and Fender Twins and Fender vibroluxes. They have bell cleans and use the pedal for its only source of OD, with a little bit of natural saturation. Marshalls break up a lot sooner than Fender amps, but you'll get close with either a modded Blues Driver, or the TS.

I've seen the Mayer's pedalboard and He definately uses a keeley Blues Driver, and almost positive he has a ts808 on there too. I have looked into his Two-Rock amps and well lets say I dont think I will want to afford that. His head cost more than my whole gear collection.
Dean ML Select
Taylor 214e
Cube 15
Vox Wah
Blues Driver BD-2

Quote by Chordzzz
can you fuсk it?

Quote by nebiru
Oh I will find a way.
Last edited by Schecter88 at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by Suicidal_Brick

are you kidding me?
SRV used marshalls too man.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I've seen the Mayer's pedalboard and He definately uses a keeley Blues Driver, and almost positive he has a ts808 on there too. I have looked into his Blue-Rock amps and well lets say I dont think I will want to afford that. His head cost more than my whole gear collection.

haha yeah john mayer's two-rock signature head is $8,500.
My Gear:
Epi standard les paul
Taylor 110 acoustic
Fender blues junior amp
Fulltone OCD
Quote by Schecter88
Ok, so I just got my first tube amp this past christmas, a Marshall DSL 50 head with cab. I really like that bluesy tone as in John Mayer and SRV some Hendrix. I know most will say get a Fender amp, I will get one eventually, but right now I like the all around tone I get with the Marshall. Im debating on a Ibanez TS9 tube screamer or a Boss Blues Driver. The only pedal I can go try is the BD-2. I have great tone on my clean channel but I just want some better gain and saturation. Which one would you guys recommend?

Better gain ??? crank up the pre amp volume all the way !! that amps got loads of gain.
are using the right pre amp stage?
i think the sd-1 is better than the blues driver... not to mention guitarcenter has them for 40 bucks right now! they are pretty awesome... for that price get two it would be the same as the blues driver/cheper than a ts9 and you would have 3 gain stages... could set one for boost and one for drive... this is making me want to go buy annotherone...

*drools*
If its not fender than whatever]
Quote by Humbuckyou
Better gain ??? crank up the pre amp volume all the way !! that amps got loads of gain.
are using the right pre amp stage?

There is no preamp volume control. It is master volume and a gain knob only.
Dean ML Select
Taylor 214e
Cube 15
Vox Wah
Blues Driver BD-2

Quote by Chordzzz
can you fuсk it?

Quote by nebiru
Oh I will find a way.
Quote by kool98769
are you kidding me?
SRV used marshalls too man.

Yeah, no ****, but he mainly used Bassmans, Super Reverbs, Twins, and Vibroluxes.

I know he used Marshalls, but do you not understand the tonal difference between a DSL50 and a 100 watt super lead head? He won't be able to get the clean sounds out of the DSL as Stevie did from his 100 watters. Don't be an idiot, use the numbers.
High as tits
Quote by Schecter88
There is no preamp volume control. It is master volume and a gain knob only.

crank the gain and use the master volume to control the volume
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Se if you can find a used one of those.Great over drive with 2 gain stages. New like 245.00 but have seen them used for $125.00 or so well worthit at any price.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
Se if you can find a used one of those.Great over drive with 2 gain stages. New like 245.00 but have seen them used for $125.00 or so well worthit at any price.

Like the visual sound double trouble?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
It ment to sat Barber tone pump sorry. But they are great overdrives.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd