I was wondering if the Peavey Windsor Head was any good or not, I play blues on occasion so I would like it to have good cleans- but thats just a plus, I mainly play metal/thrash metal. If the distortion itself isn't all that good would a bad monkey and some muff fix that up or no? Thanks guys.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
The Windsor head with an OD will sound fantastic for thrash and 80's metal, though the cleans are mediocre at best (and nonexistent at high volumes)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Cool thank you yeah like I said Im not all to worried about the cleans because thats just a good plus, I already have a small tube amp that I play clean on, if and when I go gigging it will definatly not be on the clean.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
i had the windsor for a week.

absolutely no cleans whatsoever.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
as stated earlier- cleans are not what I'm worried about. Thrash metal doesn't really have cleans in it, I have never heard Slayer play cleans in a concert, nor do I hear many cleans in earlier Metallica on their heavier songs.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
my new guitarist has a windsor, we play death metal he makes it work it sounds like a jcm800 soo basically thrash will be sweet on it, to go heavier get an od and an eq pedal to ad more bass and the od for a tad more dist. maybe a sonic maximizer... choice is yours
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
Alright cool thanks man, I will probibly get an EQ since I personally like getting some mid drive in there, if you do it right it sounds damn good.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
I've been looking around, I live in Kansas City so you would think so but only stuff I can find is B-52 heads and other stuff like it, any ideas about where else to check besides craigslist and pawn shops?
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Yeah B-52 AT, but the thing is that they are like $500 used so I may as well buy it new and I'm already saveing up for quite a while to get this head, I already have some speakers I can use as a half stack from my dad's old DJing days.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Yeah I tried haggling with the guy there, even saying I would give him this student Les Paul that has a Gibson body and a Dean MLX the $200 version, and he was like "We already have too many guitars, and we don't do trades." I looked at the guitars, they were all ephi's and Squiers all 3 of them. I also tried to haggle a bit but this guy was a real ass about it- seriously, people in pawn shops here are stupid/meaner than hell. As far as the hi-fi speakers sound that is noted and I thank you .

It was a B-52 AT 100 head, it seemed in good condition but of course I couldn't play it just to make sure :/.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Nope, we got some real Aholes here in the Midwest dont listen to what you hear about us being nice. I could do that lol.

However my budget right now is basically however long I can hold my patience waiting to save up money from my paychecks, right now I got $125 dedicated, it will grow- it will just take a while is all.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
I'am dont worry about that lol, I know $125 couldn't buy me much more than a tin can with a AX tube in it. I see I may have to check in on that aswell, but what OHM rateings does the Windsor have to offer? Because I need something above 4 since I need to get some nice chugging palm mutes in there that have some real raw power behind them.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
I've just heard that the more air you get moveing through the amp that you get a better chug going, I wouldn't really know to be honest I'm just going by what I have heard.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Well, more air being moved is the result of using more speakers. The more speaker surface area, THEN there's more air being moved. That's why 4x12's are often favored by metal guitarist, as its moving a good lot of air, and there's a lot of room in the cab for the sound to travel, forming a "tighter" bottom end.

Chug can be achieved without a halfstack, though - not quite the same as a 4x12, but you don't need a 4x12 for a chug. Just need to know how to work an EQ, and having a bit of reverb helps. Impedance ratings really only affect the cabs you can or can't use with your amp.
I see that makes sense, I was wondering because I can get a fairly good chug sound out of my amp right now just gotta get some mid and bass dialed in right, and yeah I know that sounds like its not possible since Im running through a SS and people thing SS can't make any noise, but I would definatly like to get into tubes. Thanks for the info on that btw
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60