So now I finally grew up and realized that 00ber high output PUs don't often = tone. So, I was searching through the Dimarzio site, and I found myself torn between these two:

Evo2
Mo' Joe
Norton
Fred (not enough output maybe?)

Neck pickups:

-Air Norton
-FRED
-Breed
-PAF Pro

Basically, I'm looking for clarity without ice-pick. I was told that Breeds would do good in my RG, but I fear that it might sound too fat/smooth/loose sounding (at least for the bridge). I would look into the PAF Bridge and Joe, but I've heard of people complaining about their output. The EVO would be too ice-picky and I'm not that good of a lead player. Seymour Duncans would be okay too, but I'm not sure if they'd do any good in my RG (I just don't see many SDs in RGs).

Amp is a 6505+, Marshall 1960a cab.
Guitar is Ibanez RG470.

Any other input would be kick*** and more than welcome.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Mar 2, 2008,
Well, i cant really help you with the pickups you listed, but it seems like everyone agrees that breeds are nice.
But as far as bridge goes, as i remember, last time when i was playing in GC, i played the JS sig, and the fred in the bridge really sounded nice for a bridge pickup. I was expecting it to be really bright, like 90% of bridge pickups, but it was a very neck-sounding bridge pickup. I see that as a good thing, i dont know about you guys...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I've not tried an Evo2, but if it's anything like the first Evos, I probably wouldn't like them.

I really liked the Mo'Joe though, pretty nice sounding pickup, though my favorites from DiMarzio are still the Tone Zone, Breed and Air Norton.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Why not I mean a pickups a pickup.

I don't see the problem with mixing and matching at all unless your OCD about the name on the cover haha
I actually think the Tone Zone is worth a look here...and it's NOT often I say that, check out the Norton too if the Tone Zone is still a little too hot for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by kool98769
Well, i cant really help you with the pickups you listed, but it seems like everyone agrees that breeds are nice.
But as far as bridge goes, as i remember, last time when i was playing in GC, i played the JS sig, and the fred in the bridge really sounded nice for a bridge pickup. I was expecting it to be really bright, like 90% of bridge pickups, but it was a very neck-sounding bridge pickup. I see that as a good thing, i dont know about you guys...

That's nice to know, but what amp were you playing through and what styles?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Go with the Emg 81's......... Smacks hand... sorry im not to a point in my life were high output is a bad thing lol

I'll put high output PUs in another guitar, don't worry.

Quote by MatrixClaw
I've not tried an Evo2, but if it's anything like the first Evos, I probably wouldn't like them.

I really liked the Mo'Joe though, pretty nice sounding pickup, though my favorites from DiMarzio are still the Tone Zone, Breed and Air Norton.

The Evo2 is supposedly not as ice-picky as the standard Evo. And what guitar were you playing when you tried the TZ, Breed and AN.

Quote by FRDesign
Breeds.

Elaborate.

Quote by Silky Smooth
How bout a full shred in the bridge

Air norton in the neck

Yeah, I've been thinking about the FS, since one of the MIJ RGs has a SD FS. But wouldn't it sound too close to an Evo (unforgiving and maybe a little weak for rhythm)?

Quote by which ones pink
^Mixing Duncans and DiMarzios?

You could always go with the classic Tone Zone bridge/Air Norton neck.

Yeah, but again, I'm looking for a cleaner sound. The pickup picker recommends the TZ for warmer/fatter tones.

Quote by steven seagull
I actually think the Tone Zone is worth a look here...and it's NOT often I say that, check out the Norton too if the Tone Zone is still a little too hot for you.

I know you don't often recommend the TZ, any reason why it would be worth a look? And I couldn't find much on the Norton, sounds interesting though.

Quote by thedonutman
If your not much of a lead player and want clarity, what about a dimarzio PAF of some sort?

Yeah, but I have no idea which PAFs are good for a basswood superstrat with a double locking trem. I'm guessing Breed, but again it might be too fat/smooth for me.

Am I just being too picky? Do I have to pay top dollar for what I'm asking, or am I just over analyzing things in theory?
If it makes any difference, I'm playing in D Standard.

EDIT: added Norton and Fred to the list.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
The full shred is way more forgiving then an EVO for sure. If you want to hear it in use check out some of the Mr.Fastfinger stuff he uses a full shred in the bridge
Quote by aznrockerdude
The Evo2 is supposedly not as ice-picky as the standard Evo. And what guitar were you playing when you tried the TZ, Breed and AN.

I've only tried DiMarzio humbuckers in Ibanez guitars, specifically the S and RG prestiges as well as a JEM.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've only tried DiMarzio humbuckers in Ibanez guitars, specifically the S and RG prestiges as well as a JEM.

Ahh ok. Wanted to make sure you didn't try on a Les Paul or something.

I'll make a list for neck PUs too, even though almost everyone voted for the Air Norton.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
Ahh ok. Wanted to make sure you didn't try on a Les Paul or something.

Nah, I don't think I'd put DiMarzio in a LP or something like that. I've always associated them with more shred like styles, though the singles sound amazing in my Strat. I'm going to buy one of the 24 Fret S series Ibanezes and put some DiMarzios in it, it's gonna be saweet
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Nah, I don't think I'd put DiMarzio in a LP or something like that. I've always associated them with more shred like styles, though the singles sound amazing in my Strat. I'm going to buy one of the 24 Fret S series Ibanezes and put some DiMarzios in it, it's gonna be saweet

Where the hell do you get your money from?!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Where the hell do you get your money from?!

I have a lot of money saved up
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I have a lot of money saved up

from what?
I would have anal sex with a man for the gear you have!

(not really)
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by which ones pink
^Mixing Duncans and DiMarzios?

Why would that be so bad?
Quote by MatrixClaw

I don't know, Dimarzio makes some interesting PUs for Les Pauls too (EJ's Custom set).

Also, anyone know how the Fred sounds in the neck? Satch only uses the Fred in the bridge, as far as I know...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by kool98769
from what?
I would have anal sex with a man for the gear you have!

(not really)

Haha, I've never really spent money on stuff so I have like $6000 saved up in my bank from work, money from holidays over the years, etc.

Quote by aznrockerdude
I don't know, Dimarzio makes some interesting PUs for Les Pauls too (EJ's Custom set).

Also, anyone know how the Fred sounds in the neck? Satch only uses the Fred in the bridge, as far as I know...

True, I guess I've just always liked the sound of Duncans in those kind of guitars.

Wish I could comment on the Fred, but I've not tried one in the neck
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Haha, I've never really spent money on stuff so I have like $6000 saved up in my bank from work, money from holidays over the years, etc.

True, I guess I've just always liked the sound of Duncans in those kind of guitars.

Wish I could comment on the Fred, but I've not tried one in the neck

duuuude!
Screw the ibanez
Sell your LTD and get a carvin!
thats what i'd do anyways :p
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
duuuude!
Screw the ibanez
Sell your LTD and get a carvin!
thats what i'd do anyways :p

Don't have the LTD anymore, traded it for the Strat

Yeah, it's actually either between a Carvin DC400W and an Ibanez S5470, but I don't want to buy the Carvin new cause as soon as it ships it'll be worth like $700 less, and I know at some point I'll probaly be selling it. However, it's hard to find a Carvin how I want it unfortunately, which is why I'll most likely go for the Ibanez
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Don't have the LTD anymore, traded it for the Strat

Yeah, it's actually either between a Carvin DC400W and an Ibanez S5470, but I don't want to buy the Carvin new cause as soon as it ships it'll be worth like $700 less, and I know at some point I'll probaly be selling it. However, it's hard to find a Carvin how I want it unfortunately, which is why I'll most likely go for the Ibanez

well, you could custom order one for like, 1600. But, i feel you on the as soon as it ships part, and if you're planning on selling it eventually, its not worth it.
I guess i just dont like the finishes the new S comes with.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by aznrockerdude

Yeah, but again, I'm looking for a cleaner sound. The pickup picker recommends the TZ for warmer/fatter tones.

The Tone Zone is pretty sensitive and has that shreddy mid-spike giving a surprising amount of clarity however it's quite hot and sounds awful on clean. It's also quite bassy to try and balance out that midrange peak.

On paper it doesn't sound all that great for you but I definitrly think it's wowth your while trying out a Tone Zone equipped guitar if you can. If you can't then the Norton is a safer bet, it's lower output and the EQ curve is a lot more sensible - it's probably the most versatile pickup that Dimarzio make.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
The Tone Zone is pretty sensitive and has that shreddy mid-spike giving a surprising amount of clarity however it's quite hot and sounds awful on clean. It's also quite bassy to try and balance out that midrange peak.

On paper it doesn't sound all that great for you but I definitrly think it's wowth your while trying out a Tone Zone equipped guitar if you can. If you can't then the Norton is a safer bet, it's lower output and the EQ curve is a lot more sensible - it's probably the most versatile pickup that Dimarzio make.

And how's the Air Zone? Is it too vintage/sweet sounding for my styles?
As for the Tone Zone, can it do tight too? I can't stress this enough but, does it sound muddy and lacking definition under high gain (need enough clarity for power metal/Necrophagist leads)? General consensus on Jemsite is that the TZ is a love/hate pickup...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by aznrockerdude
And how's the Air Zone? Is it too vintage/sweet sounding for my styles?
As for the Tone Zone, can it do tight too? I can't stress this enough but, does it sound muddy and lacking definition under high gain (need enough clarity for power metal/Necrophagist leads)? General consensus on Jemsite is that the TZ is a love/hate pickup...

That's pretty much how it is with the Tone Zone lol...it's weird because the sound works really well and suits the guitar, but I don't really like it all that much, but I still use it! It's got a fair bit of lower midrange grind, but to give you an idea of the shreddiness it'll nail Funtwos tone, that dry, distorted yet clear sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
That's pretty much how it is with the Tone Zone lol...it's weird because the sound works really well and suits the guitar, but I don't really like it all that much, but I still use it! It's got a fair bit of lower midrange grind, but to give you an idea of the shreddiness it'll nail Funtwos tone, that dry, distorted yet clear sound.

Ohh nice. But is there any reason why you haven't mentioned anything about Satch's pups?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
neck- air norton. I f'en love it. I have it in my RGA121 Prestige & SG
Bridge- Breed, it's a great 'all around' pup. it can handle rhythms and leads well. and is very balanced. it's a great pup if you want to be able to tap into just about any genre of the rock/metal world. I have the Breed in the SG.

or get the d-sonic. John Petrucci from Dream Theater endorses and uses this. check his tone, it's incredible! and you can switch poll positions for warmer tone, or one more suited for chunky rhythm. this is what I have in my RGA121.

I haven't used every DiMarzio out there. these are just the ones I've owned and extensively used. and I can strongly recommend them. and state that DiMarzio's descriptions of what thier pups do is fair and accurate.

but I can't recommend the air norton for the neck enough. it gives great leads with gain, and it superior in the clean tones to anything I've ever used before or after it.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader
neck- air norton. I f'en love it. I have it in my RGA121 Prestige & SG
Bridge- Breed, it's a great 'all around' pup. it can handle rhythms and leads well. and is very balanced. it's a great pup if you want to be able to tap into just about any genre of the rock/metal world. I have the Breed in the SG.

or get the d-sonic. John Petrucci from Dream Theater endorses and uses this. check his tone, it's incredible! and you can switch poll positions for warmer tone, or one more suited for chunky rhythm. this is what I have in my RGA121.

I haven't used every DiMarzio out there. these are just the ones I've owned and extensively used. and I can strongly recommend them. and state that DiMarzio's descriptions of what thier pups do is fair and accurate.

but I can't recommend the air norton for the neck enough. it gives great leads with gain, and it superior in the clean tones to anything I've ever used before or after it.

Well, I'm not sure if I want to go with the D-Sonic, as I prefer Petrucci's tone with the Steve's Special. And the D-Sonic in his EBMM is different from the one Dimarzio sellls.
Read above on Breeds. I'm not sure it sounds good, but probably not the way I want it.
Definitely going for the AN on the neck though, unless it does not really pair up well with the bridge PU of my choice.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by which ones pink

^+100000000000
tonezone can do anything
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by Slayer566
^+100000000000
tonezone can do anything

Yeah, but your Jackson is alder with a maple fretboard.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
Ohh nice. But is there any reason why you haven't mentioned anything about Satch's pups?

Bump.

Can the Air Zone have good cleans, like on All That Remains' Six, and yet have a smooth lead tone like Necrophagist's?

For the bridge, I'm guessing the TZ can do tight, articulate and clear under high gain, right? Does it work well for both rhythm and leads, meaning I won't need (although I will occasionally) to step on a pedal thicken up my leads?

EDIT: is there a pickup similar to the Blaze Neck?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude

Last bump. If I don't get an answer, I'll just research a bit more and choose whatever sounds reasonable.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420