Eventually, I'm getting an electric guitar. Don't ask me when, but eventually. I'm either going to get an Epiphone Les Paul (Standard or Custom) or a Strat/Pacifica. With it, I'm thinking of getting that wonderful Epiphone Valve Junior. I've heard some clips of it. What great tone.

I know that alone, it has excellent classic tone. But I want to be able to play quietly or stuff that might be out of its normal range. So what sort of pedals should I look into? An overdrive? EQ? I want to play blues (which I understand the amp will do nicely), classic rock, hard rock (big GnR fan). And let's pretend money is no obstacle (but don't tell me to get everything). I just want some ideas thrown around. Thanks guys.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
I've seen the digitech rp series multi effect pedals get recommended alot here. a multi effect pedal would probably be the best for a beginner (which I'm assuming you are? you seem to know quite a bit though) because you'll be able to find what effects you like and don't like
sorry, yeah. Should have mentioned that I am kind of a beginner when it comes to electric guitars, but not with guitars in general. I've been playing an acoustic for a few years. I'm unsure whether to get a multi-effects pedal because of the fact that they apparently sound like relative crap.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Yeah, you should look into a multi-fx to figure out what you want, but you'd definitely want to get an EQ for your Valve Junior if you get nothing else.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I wouldn't recommend a Digitech anything unless it was a Bad Monkey. Their pedals are horrible imo. I'd probably rather have a Danelectro FAB set than a cheap RP multi-fx.

If you're on a budget, grab a Bad Monkey for your OD, if not maybe step it up to something like a Maxon OD-808. You could also go for something like an OCD, it would get you more gain, but it's a bit more expensive.

An EQ would also be useful with a VJ as it doesn't have one. Again, if you're on a budget, I'd suggest a Danelectro Fish 'n Chips. If you're willing to spend more, an MXR 10-Band EQ is about the best you can get.

Not sure what all other effects you'll want, but I think those should keep you set for your distortion.

Stay away from Boss and Digitech pedals, they might be a brand you know, but you'll be glad in the long run that you didn't spend money on them. Their bypass is horrible stock and a lot of them in your effects chain will degrade your sound quite a bit.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
stay away from boss? really? I've heard good things about that MXR 10-band EQ, but in reality its too expensive. I'll keep the fish n' chips in mind, but are there any others that I should keep an eye open for?

And in terms of Overdrive... I don't want cheap crap for anything. If something is worth the money then I'll save for it. At the same time, I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money. I can't seem to find the bad monkey or the maxon. Are the Ibanez tubescreamers (TS7, TS9, TS808) any good? The Boss overdrives are a no-no?
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by samick007
I've seen the digitech rp series multi effect pedals get recommended alot here. a multi effect pedal would probably be the best for a beginner (which I'm assuming you are? you seem to know quite a bit though) because you'll be able to find what effects you like and don't like

man...snatched the words right outta my mouth
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by syk3d
stay away from boss? really? I've heard good things about that MXR 10-band EQ, but in reality its too expensive. I'll keep the fish n' chips in mind, but are there any others that I should keep an eye open for?

And in terms of Overdrive... I don't want cheap crap for anything. If something is worth the money then I'll save for it. At the same time, I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money. I can't seem to find the bad monkey or the maxon. Are the Ibanez tubescreamers (TS7, TS9, TS808) any good? The Boss overdrives are a no-no?

Boss are ok but if you're concerned with tone I'd look into other brands now before you have to spend more money later.

Bad Monkey
Maxon OD-808

The Ibanez are good, Maxon was the original maker of the Tubescreamers for Ibanez and I liked them slightly better than the Ibanez pedals. The TS-7 is generally thought of as a bad pedal, however, if you're decent with a soldering iron you can buy it for cheap and mod it to TS-9 or TS-808 specs for much cheaper than it would cost to buy it.

Some people like the Boss SD-1 as an overdrive but there wasn't really anything special about it (imo), I'd rather have the Bad Monkey for that price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sorry, but I'm in Australia, so musiciansfriend is ruled out.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Ah dang, how'd I miss that?

Hmm, well I know sites that have them for sale by they escape my mind atm.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com