Well im getting an AMAZING deal on an Ampeg svt 4 pro. But I dont know what cabs to look at. Also, will the 1,200 watts be distributed to each speaker? Or do I need to get a cab rated at 1,200 watts?
Whats your price range?

The output is I believe 1200 watts @4 ohms (BRIDGED maybe?). And there are few cabs that go up to 1200 watts by themselves. You'll need multiple cabs to get the full 1200 watts (not that you'll ever need them). Look at some cabs at your GC. There are many good cabinet makers. If you want a modernish tone, then check out some neodymium speakers. They're great. A company called Avatar has cheap, excellent quality neo cabs.
Quote by Kornakopia
Well im getting an AMAZING deal on an Ampeg svt 4 pro. But I dont know what cabs to look at. Also, will the 1,200 watts be distributed to each speaker? Or do I need to get a cab rated at 1,200 watts?

How much are you getting the SVT-4Pro for? Also, if you got the cash, I would suggest picking up an Ampeg SVT 810E and run it in bridged mono until you can pick either another 810 or maybe a 115/215.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Charlatan_001
8x10s are pretty massive and a pain to haul around, but since you're getting an SVT4-Pro I'm assuming you're gigging?

Even so, there are better options than an 8x10. For example, getting one of these:
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BRX10.4NEO

Take his advice. 8x10's are no fun to move! Those carvin's are excellent cabs, though. I'm seriously considering one to replace my Ampeg fridge.

That cab is amazing. 1200 watts RMS for a 4x10, and it only weighs 76 lbs. And it goes down to 26Hz, meaning you can acutually play with the low freqs on your EQ.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by Charlatan_001
8x10s are pretty massive and a pain to haul around, but since you're getting an SVT4-Pro I'm assuming you're gigging?

.Yeah I guess that was kind of a bad suggestion, seeing as how I have no knowledge of his means of transportation or physical strength. I just don't have alot of trouble hauling mine around so I tend to forget that for some the combined weight of the cab and the head (about 200lbs) would make the rig an implausibility.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
bass ain't for wimps. heavy is good! and Carvin doesn't make a cab that can compete with Ampeg, i don't care what the specs are. that head was designed for the Ampeg 8x10 cabinet. for me, it's the only logical choice. if not an Ampeg 8x10, i would get an Ampeg 4x10, matched with an Ampeg 1x18. i can't say i've ever known a "pro" bassist that played through a Carvin amp. wonder why that is?
Carvin is ok, but they are still mid-grade equipment. SVT is pro bass.
please don't quote Carvin advertisments, for who uses their stuff.
I think the advent of Neo speak completely changed the bass cab game, and that it just hasn't set in yet. The classical way of thinking "the Ampeg has that tone" is "you need an 810 to get that sound" is dying out. Bassists needn't suffer with stuff like that if they don't want to anymore.

My philosophy is that you SHOULD be able to get an idea of a cab's sound by looking at it's specs sheet. Trying out cabs seemingly at random feels antiquated to me. You should be able to look at a specs sheet and know if it's right for you. Personally, I'd never use a cab that doesn't have a tweeter (but still goes to 15kHz) and only bottoms at 65Hz. I agree that Ampeg is the definition of classic tone, but I think it's the definition of an ancient way of thinking, cab-wise. My experiences with an SVT4PRO and 810 were not good - and yes, I gigged with them.

Eden is beginning to offer Neo speakers in ALL of their cabs as an option. If Eden, who IMO is miles above and beyond Ampeg in terms of innovation, construction, and overall product pride, is willing to embrace this technology, there's something to be said about that. I think Ampeg has this "we're Ampeg and that's all there is to it, buy or die" attitude with their cabs that reminds me of American cars before Japanese cars mopped the floor with them. Ironic that Ampeg is now made in Vietnam. And, FWIW, Carvin's still made in the States.

I don't see why someone wouldn't want a lighter, louder, smaller, more responsive cab for a fraction of the price. It doesn't make sense to me.

To the 810's defense, it has wheels and rails, so the physical movement of it isn't the end of the world, assuming you have the actual volume in a vehicle to transport it. If you want a tweeterless cab that bottoms at 65Hz!

As far as what cabs YOU should get - that depends on the sound you want. I'm loving my 212/115 combination (although I regret not making it 212/118), but that's just my thing. I think with the SVT4PRO, 2 cabs are a must. Considering you can mono-bridge or run dual mono or stereo, you should take advatage of it. Get 2 8 ohm cabs if you plan on bridging, or 2 4 ohm cabs if you plan on dual mono or stereo. Sending effects to just one cab is HUGE.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^i agree about the new neo speakers, saving a few pounds never hurts. but the Ampeg 8x10 is about sound engineering. it is made up of 4 enclosures to maximize the the "punch". Eden is "top-o-the line" equipment, and should not be compared to Carvin.
if spec sheets could tell you how a cab should sound, then Behringer should be great equipment. i rest my case, on that theory.

playing one "set" on somebody elses, SVT doesn't mean you've "gigged" with them.
i embrace new technology. if it sounds better, i'm all for it. i've played probably 300
gigs in my short career as a bass player, i've seen maybe 500 shows and performances. and Mesa is the only other rig, i would consider owning. as a stand alone bass rig. this in no way takes away from some great players that choose to play component systems. (i.e. pre-amp, effects, amplifier, speaker cabs).

i may be an antique, but i know bass. and i didn't learn it on the internet.
school of hard knocks, baby!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
if spec sheets could tell you how a cab should sound, then Behringer should be great equipment. i rest my case, on that theory.

Actually, their spec sheets have errors on them and bits showing they have overrated them. (e.g. speakers rates at 120W on a '180W' amp).

That would tell me all I needed to know.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
bass ain't for wimps. heavy is good! and Carvin doesn't make a cab that can compete with Ampeg, i don't care what the specs are. that head was designed for the Ampeg 8x10 cabinet. for me, it's the only logical choice. if not an Ampeg 8x10, i would get an Ampeg 4x10, matched with an Ampeg 1x18. i can't say i've ever known a "pro" bassist that played through a Carvin amp. wonder why that is?
Carvin is ok, but they are still mid-grade equipment. SVT is pro bass.
please don't quote Carvin advertisments, for who uses their stuff.

The pros play it because it's the vintage image and that image makes HUGE money. They get paid for the image, not the skill! That doesn't mean that the equipment is bad, but seriously: the SVT fridge is 40 years old and hasn't changed. There is far superior tech out there, but the reasons the "pros" use Ampeg/Marshall/Fender/Gibson etc. is because they literally get paid a LOT of money to endorse a long-standing, big-selling product image, despite that product's viability. Back 30-40 years ago, it was the best that music technology had to offer. Now, it's arcane. Kids try to get the "vintage" sound, even though it's muffled and flatulent.

Notice that the most popular (and therefore highest-paid) rock-oriented acts today do the vintage thing. Style, sound, equipment, the whole nine yards. People hate change, and it reflects in the music.

Summary- The reason that people don't embrace the new technology today is because of the image of the old technology, regardless of it's viability.

What I'm NOT saying is that everyone who uses Ampeg is an untalented poser, or that "accomplished musicians" shouldn't choose Ampeg. What I AM saying is that we need to use a bit more common sense and intrinsic thought (as opposed to mass cultural ideas) in selecting our sound.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Mar 2, 2008,
A good thing to do is read the FAQ on amplifying. It'll give you some general info on cabinet configurations and how power is distributed to the speakers.

As far as specific speakers, I recently received an Avatar B212 Neo cabinet, and it sounds really good. They make a bunch of cabinet configurations, they're made in the USA, and the customer services is good. And their 4x10 cab will supposedly handle up to 1,000 watts.
Quote by gm jack
Actually, their spec sheets have errors on them and bits showing they have overrated them. (e.g. speakers rates at 120W on a '180W' amp).

That would tell me all I needed to know.

Exactly. What besides the wattage (which is just deceptive, not wrong) sounds good on the specs sheet of a Behringer, anyway?

And having played 40 minutes on one in a live situation is all the time I need. Having a 10" ceramic magnet speaker without a crossover point and tweeter doesn't give me the tone I like - and I don't need to play any shows at all to know that. It IS all about engineering - and something that was engineered decades before I was born is not a good example of that case.

And I think learning things on the internet is just fine - I can learn something in 15 minutes that would have taken years without it! Nothing beats real experience, but the internet is great for helping you make your experience as efficient as possible. Learning something on the internet doesn't mean you know more about the subject that having learned it the hard way - it just means you learned it faster. You either know it or you don't.

EDIT: I can't explain how different an SVT4PRO through an 810 and a SVT CL through an 810 are.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 2, 2008,
Im gonna chuck this bad boy in, because i can't get over how good it is

http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/cabs/indiv/d410xlt.asp

So much low end from a 410 cab, sounds fantastic and can handle 700w RMS. If you have the money, i would suggest nothing else.
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
well considering the amp would be operating at 8 ohms with 1 8ohm cabinet, Then the amp will only be putting out 300watts mono or 900 watts bridged. (i think, im a tad confused by the specs on the svt 4 pro page) There is no way on gods green earth that you are ever going to need 1200 watts.
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by bazz_aaron
well considering the amp would be operating at 8 ohms with 1 8ohm cabinet, Then the amp will only be putting out 300watts mono or 900 watts bridged. (i think, im a tad confused by the specs on the svt 4 pro page) There is no way on gods green earth that you are ever going to need 1200 watts.

well....... despite their great tone, Ampeg's MOSFET amps are notoriously overrated power-wise. A 1000-watt GK is much louder, and a 750-watt Mesa BB750 is just a tad louder, if not the same. But if you dig Ampeg tone, of course neither of these will do

He can probably handle a medium/large gig without PA support. However, the Pro series heads REALLY like efficient (or bloody huge) cabinets. You're not going to make the 4-Pro sing loud through a 410HLF. For maximum volume, you either need an 8x10, a really efficient high-end cab (like Mesa, Berg, or Avatar) or to contact thefitz about his biamping and stereo ideas (which work well; I've tried them with my old 4-Pro).