(sorry for the title, I just assumed that these sort of nubcake requests are somewhat common here.)

I'm currently playing (learning to play technically, I'm o.k. at it) on a Samick Torino T1, and if you've never heard of it, don't worry: it's nothing special. The number of problems on this SG knockoff are quite numerous: A improperly intonated bridge (that's probably my fault), faulty pots (they pump out max volume/tone until they hit ~1.5, then they drop like a lead ballon), and faulty nut that keeps dropping me flat until i press on the string above the nut, then if I try to sharpen it it does not slide along the nut and does not keep an accurate pitch. (several of the frets buzz as well.)

As to be expected, the pickups are pretty bad, with the neck "humbucker" (there is no humbucking occurring here) putting out a little hiss under heavy distortion and the bridge pickup... ugh. If I try to distort it at all, it sounds like my amp is undergoing heavy reconstruction, and I can barely hear the notes ring through. On a clean mode, the neck sounds decent, with a semi-smooth but highly lacking tone, while the bridge p'up continues to suck the life out of my guitar with its terrible tone and angry-cat hiss.

If you couldn't tell by now, I'm in search of a new guitar. I wasn't too terribly partial to the SG shape, but I suppose that doesn't matter too much to me (just an issue of comfort, but then again I would never even touch a Jackson warrior). What I'm looking for is pretty simple:
  • a good, comfortable neck (rosewood or ebony or something similar)
  • a body wood that's rich and semi-warm in tone but not too heavy (alder or basswood(only if it's Ibanez lol))
  • any classic/semi modern shape (preferably with a very accessible neck joint), no warlocks/balckerthanbalck metal guitars
  • A quality locking trem, such as a Kahler, FR or Edge pro
  • good quality pickups (Dimarzio's, SD's): Probably HH, HSH or similar
  • the rest of the electronics don't matter too much, but some variety would be nice
  • quality tuners and other miscellaneous parts

My musical tastes are varied, but I enjoy a lot of heavier music (Nile is nice, and Mastodon is by far one of the best bands I have ever listened to) and happen to play in my school's jazz band as well. I need a guitar that can do all I want (I think I said it all) but still not break the bank and cost me my first born son. I'm only 16, have no job or car, but I enjoy playing the guitar and would like to become much much better at it, at least good enough to gig and impress people that hear. I think a guitar with much better quality than the one I currently own would facilitate that. I feel open enough to spend between $500 and $900, so if anyone surfing on this forum has made it this far through this jungle of text (sorry) has any suggestions for my next guitar I would greatly appreciate it.

I live in rural upstate NY, and am about one hour away from a guitar center, but have little experience with different guitar types/companies, so first-hand experience would be much more helpful than "o I thinks this luks kool."
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S520EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518873

I'm not big on ibanez much, but I really liked this guitar when i tried it. the ZR bridge is killer, neck is a little thin for my tastes, but might suit you great or you might hate it. define comfortable for us. Might need a pickup change though.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Check out a Mockingbird ST. Tons of tonal variety, original FR, 24 frets, beautiful trans red over maple quilt, neck-through. Around $700. Try one.
Quote by zekk

I'm not big on ibanez much, but I really liked this guitar when i tried it. the ZR bridge is killer, neck is a little thin for my tastes, but might suit you great or you might hate it. define comfortable for us. Might need a pickup change though.

gonna have to say +1. The S series are a good group of guitars. if you need 24 frets, check out the SV series.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
Quote by Johnthewrench
Check out a Mockingbird ST. Tons of tonal variety, original FR, 24 frets, beautiful trans red over maple quilt, neck-through. Around $700. Try one.

Nato's a kind of iffy wood in my opinion. I've never really liked the tone of any nato guitars I've played

The S does look cool, I'll have to step out and try it sometime.

As for "comfortable," I jut want a guitar that I can sit down or stand up with, and that doesn't want to do an SG headstock divebomb when I just try to lightly hold the neck (just a nice balanced shape is all I want)
does weight bother you?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i feel like suggesting a schecyter 006 hellraiser with a FR. nice guitars.

the ibanez someone posted earlier looks nice as well, though ive never played it.

A Jackson Dinky might work, too. i dont think the jackson dinkies have a FR but ive played one and the neck is extremely comfortable
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
For what you want, I'd say look for a used jackson soloist, a new jackson dinky, an ibanez RG1570, or the Schecter Hellraiser FR.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by zekk

ZR trem is a piece of ****, as are Ibanez pickups.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Mockingbird-ST-Electric-Guitar?sku=512696

Buy it. It's beautiful, has a nice trem, versatile, and has pretty good pickups.
Dickless.
OneBlackened, thanks for the suggestions; I had been looking at the 1570 for a while, the blueish finish looks very nice. As for weight, it should be ligh engough to play for about an hour while standing without destroying my neck.

As for the 2550, how good is the edge zero?
is it an edge pro with the zp3 or just an edge 3?
Quote by MetalMilitia212

Where the hell did you get that idea? Ibanez pickups definitely aren't top of the line, but show me a guitar that comes stock with mind blowing pickups.

And why do you think the ZR sucks? Tons of people have said it's an awesome trem, although it does require you to oil the ball bearing once in a while.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Mockingbird-ST-Electric-Guitar?sku=512696

Buy it. It's beautiful, has a nice trem, versatile, and has pretty good pickups.

Nato is ****, ZR trems are basicly the best locking tremolo's that aren't OFR's or kahlers, and almost no guitar comes with great stock pickups.

That cost 100 bucks more with ****ter wood and BC richs famous quality.

Quote by MetalMilitia212

Quote by mfivenine
OneBlackened, thanks for the suggestions; I had been looking at the 1570 for a while, the blueish finish looks very nice. As for weight, it should be ligh engough to play for about an hour while standing without destroying my neck.

As for the 2550, how good is the edge zero?
is it an edge pro with the zp3 or just an edge 3?

That might rule out a schecter then... they're made of mahogany/maple, both pretty heavy & dense woods.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
That might rule out a schecter then... they're made of mahogany/maple, both pretty heavy & dense woods.

Meh, mahogany isn't as heavy as everyone says. I've got a les paul (big body + mahog. body + mahog. neck) and its not that heavy, I could play it for an hour or two standing.

^ how new is it? Gibson's been chambering LP's for years.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden