I'm doing a worksheet on Gulliver's Travels and one of the questions is whether i think that that the books gives negative criticism of mankind. English is not my native language so...what's negative critism?
For example, if my brother smells bad and I tell him go take a shower because he smells bad, would that be negative criticism because i'm pointing out a negative thing about him or positive criticism because i'm trying to help him?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Mar 2, 2008,
Main Entry: crit·i·cize
Pronunciation: \ˈkri-tə-ˌsīz\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): crit·i·cized; crit·i·ciz·ing
Date: 1643
intransitive verb
: to act as a critic
transitive verb
1 : to consider the merits and demerits of and judge accordingly : evaluate
2 : to find fault with : point out the faults of

I'm too tired to actually help, sorry
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
.... for some reason I'm confused... i should know this too.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Stating it simply is negative criticism, though you mean for it to help him. Such is the same with Gulliver's Travels, it is meant to be a critique which informs of the ailment... so it can be rectified. It's a positive influence but is an example of "negative criticism" if that makes sense.

I'm sorry I just got back from the bar.
Genius may have its limitations; stupidity is not thus handicapped.
Quote by ObsceneGestures
Stating it simply is negative criticism, though you mean for it to help him. Such is the same with Gulliver's Travels, it is meant to be a critique which informs of the ailment... so it can be rectified. It's a positive influence but is an example of "negative criticism" if that makes sense.

I'm sorry I just got back from the bar.

so if what i told my brother was negative criticism, what would be postive criticism?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
negative critisism is being unbalanced..eg out singer said my drum part sucked today but he didnt have a better suggestion therefore negative
Quote by blues-guitarist
so if what i told my brother was negative criticism, what would be postive criticism?

postive critcism is constructive criticism.

Example

Johnny I liked your playing of smoke on the water but you could use some work on the intro.

-Postive

Johnny you fucking suck

-negative
Negative Criticism would be telling your brother he smells.

Positive Criticism would be telling your brother he should take a shower because he smells.
What 'negative criticism' in this context means is if the book has a negative attitude towards mankind - I haven't read Gulliver's Travels for years, so I can't help you much with the specifics, but do you think that the book says people are bad or good? If bad, that's negative criticism.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Negative criticism would be to write about a book, 'The Author cannot spell which makes his book unreadable"

Positivism criticism would be, 'The author uses an analogy involving a blackbird to great effect'.

Criticise is a neutral word (in this sense), it simply means to evaluate. So when you add positive or negative in front, you get one of my two examples.

However, what your question wants to know is wether or not Gulliver's travels paints a poor picture of mankind. Is the book being negative, is it disaproving of mankind?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I think it's like

Negative = 'You didn't play that song well.'

Positive = 'You didn't play that song well, I think you need to work on your sweep picking and use a metronome more'
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY