Hey guys im going to be redoing a squire telecaster soon.

i have a question that has failed me while rebuilding my other guitar.

on wiring diagrams when it says ground to bridge or solder together and make sure all are grounded what exactly do i do? i have a feeling that that is what screwed up my other guitar.
ground is just another name for zero volts, so when it says "ground to bridge" it should mean you attach the wire to the bridge, and the bridge should be attached to ground itself,

this is to stop the bridge, strings etc. from picking up signals from any electronic equiptment, like amps etc, because the signal that is picked up instantly escapes to ground.

you basically have to make sure that all the bits that are meant to be grounded are all conected together in some fashion, especailly the Jack, cos this is where the unwanted hum,as well as the unwanted parts of the volume and tone separated by the knobs, will escape to.
Quote by jimRH7
ground is just another name for zero volts, so when it says "ground to bridge" it should mean you attach the wire to the bridge, and the bridge should be attached to ground itself,

this is to stop the bridge, strings etc. from picking up signals from any electronic equiptment, like amps etc, because the signal that is picked up instantly escapes to ground.

you basically have to make sure that all the bits that are meant to be grounded are all conected together in some fashion, especailly the Jack, cos this is where the unwanted hum,as well as the unwanted parts of the volume and tone separated by the knobs, will escape to.

so connect all the parts that say ground to bridge together and then thats it? do i connect them to anything?
Quote by alaub1491
see what im confused is the wire that says ground wire from bridge, what does it do and what do you do with it? where does it go?

You solder a wire to the volume pot then thread it so you can solder the other end to the bottom of the bridge.

Quote by Ippon
You solder a wire to the volume pot then thread it so you can solder the other end to the bottom of the bridge.

so basically you take one wire strip a part off in the middle, solder that to the pot then solder the other end to the bottom of the bridge? interesting. does it matter where you solder it to on the bottom of the bridge?
You pretty much can't solder it to the bridge with a hobby soldering iron. Most of them will just be a wire that is laid under the bridge and stripped so when the bridge is tightened down it pinches the metal of the bridge to the wire and makes contact.

Unscrew your bridge and look underneath it. You should see a piece of wire there.

Soldering to something as large as a bridge is like welding. You have to heat the metal to make solder stick... and if its chrome plated, you probably can't stick any solder to it anyway. (without scraping down to bare metal)
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music