Okay, let's see if we can get the traveling bassists to come out of the woodwork and contribute to this one.

In your experience, what is the smallest, most portable bass you have ever encountered? You can list Steinbergers, Hohners, travel basses--I'm looking for a list of what you think is the best sounding, coolest looking, and the most compact bass guitar. Remember, it has to be a bass guitar--I don't want wiseguys posting the Roland TB-303 as a "bass", as fun as those boxes are.

I came across this one:

http://www.bassuke.com/Gallery.html

It's a bass ukulele--if you scroll down to the bottom, you'll see some nice semi-hollow models with f-holes.

Also, this one:

http://www.codelenterprises.com/Basstar.html

Bare bones neck and pickup, with rods for where your strap would slip onto. I wonder how the balance is on these basses. And they are only $159.

Happy hunting!
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
that second one kinda reminds me of a chapman stick lol

the temptation is initially to say air bass, but i'm not going to...wait, i just did lol
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Actually, the "Basstar" is $189...

Anyways, I think that Steinbergers are the most compact, coolest looking basses that I've personally run into, not online.
the fernadez nomad looks like a nice bass
but i havent play one
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I've been teaching my girlfriend to play on a little Gretsch shortscale bass. It sounds good and is quite miniscule. I wanted to get her a Fender Musicmaster or a MIJ Mustang, but I'd probably end up stealing it from her all the time :] And my Fenders, Stingray, and Warwick wouldn't work out for her at all, because she's only 5'1" and pretty petite (there's a pic of her in my gear photos posing w/ my '86 Stingray). But yeah that Gretsch would be a pretty decent travel bass. It plays well and is guitar-sized.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Fernandes Nomad? Shortscaled, cut-down body and built in speaker. You can wear it on a strap on your back and play whenever you want. Just as long as you have a few spare batteries. If not, an acoustic bass?
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
I had a Hohner B2AV, a 5 string Steinberger style headless bass. It's portability was really convenient for public transport. But I hated the way it hung when standing. Also, it was way too focused on the upper mids. I guess a small body will do that.

The Ballon Bass

It does not get anymore portable than that.

How?
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Quote by teh_Beatles
The Ballon Bass

It does not get anymore portable than that.

How?

lol, balloon bass is awesome :P you'd need so much more of an ear for that one than fretless lol
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3