if i take a piece of crap squier or first act strat, and put in a pick guard pre-wired with EMG-81 and a pair of EMG-S pups, how will it sound?
i play an 8 string
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
like a **** guitar with EMGs in it.

ahaha oh my, you sir just made my night.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
better than it was before
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
On my website I'm playing a plywood body strat knockoff for most of my single coil sound clips. My amp is a '65 bassman which is widley accepted as one of the worst fender amps of all time but because the pickups are good it sounds good.

I wouldn't bother with a first act because the construction is horrible and it would take a lot of work to reset the neck and level the frets, but if you can get a good deal on a solid body squier then the guitar has the potential to sound better than a MIA strat. I don't think EMG's sound good in alder body guitars but if you do then I'd say go for it. The name on the headstock doesn't make cheap guitars sound bad. It's the setup and the electronics that make them sound bad.
Not taking any online orders.
I did exactly the same thing, although my EMG's werent pickguard wired. It made the most amazing increase in quality, but i think if u really want it to sound great, it would be good to fill in the spaces left in the guitar body with some mahogony wood, thats what im gonna do now, because it has a bit to much reverberation, like an accoustic guitar at the moment