Hey, my cheapo epiphone starter amp broke down and i was looking at the peavey classic 30. I know 30 watts is very loud, and my friend and I are forming a band, so i need it plus the cleans on it are amazing, with very nice overdrive. My friend says with a a good overdrive it can get you some good metal tones.

But the question is it worth it to buy a microcube right now? No one on craigslist is selling the classic 30 right now and i been looking on craigslist for a month already. Also, the classic 30 doesn't have a reasonable practice volume at night time, right?

Thanks.
What exactly are you wanting to play? Metal?

I'd suggest something like the Valveking over that if you want cleans but a better metal tone. The C30 can be pushed into a metal sound, but it's not voiced as modern as the VK is so it sounds a bit off.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah, metal.

But the distortion on the VK sounds really bad to me. But i would play stuff like gilbert, dream theater, satch, iron maiden. around that type.
Quote by shtiming
yeah, metal.

But the distortion on the VK sounds really bad to me. But i would play stuff like gilbert, dream theater, satch, iron maiden. around that type.

Peavey Envoy 110 40W or Peavey Bandit 100W
Superb distortion,easy to work with and the cleans are in one word fantastic....
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by shtiming
^ not a tube amplifier

Is it a good idea to buy a microcube now?

I would wait until you can afford something you want. Also how long did you spend with the VK? Once EQ'd properly you can get pretty good sounds out of it.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
i spend about 30 to 45 minutes on it.

the distorted sound sounded really thin, but the clean sound was okay.

what are some recommendations then?

im playing a in a band soon. So i want a combo. that way i dont have to lug aorund the head and cab. i play stuff like paul gilbert, satriani, dream theater and i need good crunch for dream theater and metallica. i also need decent cleans. it doesnt have to be the best cleans in the world, but useable. very useable.
Quote by shtiming
i spend about 30 to 45 minutes on it.

the distorted sound sounded really thin, but the clean sound was okay.

what are some recommendations then?

im playing a in a band soon. So i want a combo. that way i dont have to lug aorund the head and cab. i play stuff like paul gilbert, satriani, dream theater and i need good crunch for dream theater and metallica. i also need decent cleans. it doesnt have to be the best cleans in the world, but useable. very useable.

How much do you have to spend?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
400, maybe 450. but no where over 400 is preferred. Also iron maiden tones.
Quote by shtiming
yeah, metal.

Well Satch isn't metal (sorry had to say it) but i think a Classic 30 with an OD and maybe an EQ pedal could work. (definately work for Satch at least and I expect the rest would follow suit)
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
If you can find a Randall RG50TC used, that'd probably be ideal. Will have all the gain you need and has a nice clean channel.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You're really not going to find much in that price range. The Classic 30 is probably the best you could get used but its not really a metal amp and you don't like the VK. The Windsor studio has some bugs and it probably wouldn't really suit that tone anyway. If you could go up to like a $600 budget that would open up A LOT of opportunities. You could look around for a used Carvin combo. I'll get back to you if I can think of anything else.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
I've played the Classic 50, my bassist has one. It had a great classic rock tone, but the gain is not nearly enough for metal. In desperation I even turned up both the pre-gain and post-gain to 12 (max), and it still wasn't very much. Maybe an overdrive would help it along.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
^ ****ing amazing but its still not really a metal tone...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYElbej-5Jc but yeah I actually plan on buying an OCD and a classic 30. I'm sure it could get a lot heavier if the amp was actually overdriven in the first place. Also Humbuckers should thicken up that tone.
Heres a Classic 30 w/ a Metal Muff... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmBxSvSBQug not exactly the greatest quality but personally I like my distortion coming from my amp not from a pedal.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Last edited by soul_power at Mar 2, 2008,