These worth upgrading to? Been on the lookout for a jcm800 combo for some time, now I know these wont be as good, but are they worth the money? I have found a few in ads and on ebay for around 300, ithink what i want to know is am I going to be happy with this for hard rock and blues or will I wish i had bought the jcm800?
People with real experience of this amp please, and thank you in advance for any help given
Epi Les Paul Standard plus
w/ Seymour Duncan Sh-2n in neck and SH-4 in bridge
Vox Valvetronix
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
i own the dsl401 brought my second hand so it might have been modded. But i seriously love it and i tried 800s. I still really love it, does what I WANT. Although if you not gona be playing metal at all, then maybe check out laney vc30s? Or do you want the marshall crunch?
I hate the DSL401s, they sound so fuzzy and artificial. Add to that they're overpriced and badly designed.... Buy the 800 and don't look back.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Looking for the marshall crunch, but doesnt have to be marshall. Would the jcm900 suit me? Ive read that its not too good for classic/hard rock and sounds too modern?
Epi Les Paul Standard plus
w/ Seymour Duncan Sh-2n in neck and SH-4 in bridge
Vox Valvetronix
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
i duno why the dsls get crucified on UG same as MGs although MGS are pretty pants. But maybe i got lucky, but i play classic stuff such as sabbath and i love mine. Gets the tone which I WANT like i said
Quote by Varkunus
i duno why the dsls get crucified on UG same as MGs although MGS are pretty pants. But maybe i got lucky, but i play classic stuff such as sabbath and i love mine. Gets the tone which I WANT like i said

because 1 or 2 members have probably played it and didnt like it so they posted that they didnt like it and the rest have copied what they have seen on here, or thats the impression i get from alot of posts on this site
I've just sold mine for a Sound City SC50H.

The Sound City does classic tones SO MUCH BETTER.

The DSL was either fizzy or muddy, no inbetween.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by simon612
Looking for the marshall crunch, but doesnt have to be marshall. Would the jcm900 suit me? Ive read that its not too good for classic/hard rock and sounds too modern?

Slash uses JCM 900's for hard rock a la GnR and VR.

It would probably be fine for classic rock too.
Quote by greggybhoy
Slash uses JCM 900's for hard rock a la GnR and VR.

It would probably be fine for classic rock too.

As far as I'm aware, no he doesn't.

He's used modded 800s, jubilees and Slash signatures and vintage moderns
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
I do not like the DSL, like the MGs, it just sells because it has marshall on it. Granted, its better than MGs. But the proof is in their solid states, marshall are not big on entry level amps, they know whatever they put their name on will sell, its the best marketing deal. The DSL401 is an entry level valve amp. It uses alot of solid state circuitry which is probably responsible for the fizzyfuzzyness it makes.

Theres much better to be had elsewhere, for a better price, such as...
Laney VC30
Traynor YCV20/40
Peavey Classic 30
Orange Rocker 30
and it goes on.
i actually quite like the fuzzy element, although i can get a crisp metalica sound. But i like the big fuzy sound
Which if anything, proves us further...

Why buy an amp if it just sounds like a heap of fuzz, when you could get an amp which doesn't, costs less and then buy a Fuzz pedal that actually does the fuzz thing better than the DSL and end up even better off?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Watch a bunch of this guy's videos for an example.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w_hY9pVlr5o

Note how the DSL401 sounds fuzzy and shit, wheras the ENGL has lovely cleans and GOOD OD.

watched those videos.

the dsl sounds good

the ENGL sounded like a cheap distortion pedal. Although it's clean were pretty ****ing good.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by JLT73
watched those videos.

the dsl sounds good

the ENGL sounded like a cheap distortion pedal. Although it's clean were pretty ****ing good.

are you kidding me?
The DSL was PURE MUD!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
are you kidding me?
The DSL was PURE MUD!

think sime of it is the way that guy has his eq, im pretty sure he keeps his treble turned away down
Quote by scottish nutter
think sime of it is the way that guy has his eq, im pretty sure he keeps his treble turned away down

actually, no.
That sounds pretty trebly to me
its a result of flubby bass, and not well defined midrange. Both of which is the amp's fault.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer