I want a decent practice tube amp with reverb, low wattage (max 30) for less than AUD$1000 (US$950). So far I've been looking at a few Peavey models but have yet to test them and a nice 30 watt Rivera which had a lot of balls for something so light. My selection is a bit limited compared to the US but I would be grateful for any recommendations.

The Peavey models I've been waiting to test are the Mini Colossal (which by the way is $1,195.00 here as opposed to $500 in the US so I think I will give that a miss!), the Royal 8 and the Windsor. Are Crate worth checking out?

I want to play everything from Blues to Metal at low enough volumes to keep the neighbours happy!
Last edited by guitarnoize at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by lefthandman9876
blues junior

or maybe a hot rod deluxe its 40 watts but easilly controlable for home use

also dont discredit a valve junior and a nice cab

NO IT'S NOT !

it doesn't sound too good at very low volumes IMHO.
every amp can be set quiet but it's how they sound then that counts.
as a general rule, for gear prices in AUD, take the US price and double it.

Gay tariffs....
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by BFun
as a general rule, for gear prices in AUD, take the US price and double it.

Gay tariffs....

Aint that the truth! I did speak to someone about why it was double and apparently the import duty and shipping cost is massive. I suppose it is a case of not enough demand to buy in large quantities, after all the US does have 290 million more people living there!
Fender are great but they won't take you as far as metal. You could go for a nice distortion pedal with it or maybe check out both new and used models from brands like Laney, Orange and maybe Randall...
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by guitarnoize
Aint that the truth! I did speak to someone about why it was double and apparently the import duty and shipping cost is massive. I suppose it is a case of not enough demand to buy in large quantities, after all the US does have 290 million more people living there!

Both you and I need a road trip to America then I'm guessing..
As for amp, Maybe a classic 30? Or a valve king 50watt? (I know, a little over 30watts, but eh.)
Quote by Moe.
Both you and I need a road trip to America then I'm guessing..
As for amp, Maybe a classic 30? Or a valve king 50watt? (I know, a little over 30watts, but eh.)

Oh yeah I would be loading up my suitcases like a kid in a candy store! The Valve King series is very appealing and just about meets my budget, you're talking about the 112 right? Yeah I suppose 50 watt is fine as long as it sounds good at quieter volumes, I suppose I should get something gig worthy just in case I ever get back into playing live.
If you want to play metal stay away from anything Fender. They're great for blues but not for metal. I'd look at a Traynor YCV50 blue if i was you (not sure how controllable the volume is though)
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90