Hi. I am looking for a guitar pedal however I am not sure whether it exists. It is kinda like a wah pedal but I want it to vary the distortion levels from completely clean to extremely distorted. Obviously depending on where you let the pedal rest. If there is anything like this out on the market please could you advise me? Or if you know where these can be custom built?
I can build you one for £100

Or you could simply buy a volume pedal and put it at the front of your effects chain.

This is presuming you're not using a crappy distortion pedal with more gain than sense.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t

This is presuming you're not using a crappy distortion pedal with more gain than sense.

what pedals would you class as that?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
i'd say use a stereo patch cable and add a jack, connected to the gain pot, and have a pot of the same value in the rocker chassis, and voila
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Dunno if there's a pedal for that. Usually distortion pedals have a button for on/off and a pot for gain or something. You can achieve that with some multieffectspedals tho. It probably could be custom built, but I dunno if it'd be cheap. Basically, you want a distortion pedal with an expression pedal in it (or one that can be attached).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
what pedals would you class as that?

To be honest, most distortion pedals fall into that category, imo anyway. I'm more of an overdrive man myself because of the tube amp. All I'm saying is that it's not going to get totally clean if the pedal is designed to clip - for obvious reasons.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i'd say use a stereo patch cable and add a jack, connected to the gain pot, and have a pot of the same value in the rocker chassis, and voila

Why make it so complicated just listen to me!! The Electronics God!!!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Well the gear I have is:

Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
Ibanez Wh-10 Wah
Telenordia TA-100
Crybaby Wah

I just want to able to change the level of distortion while I play so I can go from extreme metal distortion to clean very easily but also having the option of having the varying levels of distortion in between. You could make one? Have you made pedals before then?
*facepalm*

I have, yes, designed and build my own working compressor, might i add however, I was hinting that the pedal that does this is, in fact, just a volume pedal.

What amp do you have by the way? and what pedal do you primarily use for distortion?

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
cant you just use the guitars volume pot with the amp ala angus young.
turn it up the amp will break up turn it down for a cleaner sound saves buying a pedal and is a cool technique to learn/have under your belt.
thats presuming you have a valve amp tho.
or like someone else said a volume pedal could do it
Yeah I have a valve amp. It depends. For the overdrive stuff I use the telenordia (it is designed to be used with a valve amp). For the heavier riff stuff I use the Boss. Perhaps I should be clearer. for the heavier hend of the distortion I want it to be more just random noise. Kinda Radiohead style, but I want the option to manually effect the sound so there are less harmonics(less distorted). It doesn't have to be completely clean, just clean enough so you could play a basic chord and it wouldn't sound disgusting. I'm sorry for being difficult. I'm just unclear on how to describe it.
You won't be able to do that using the boss. Sorry to disappoint.

You could do it if you just used the overdrive as a boost for the amp on the clean channel, maybe on the dirty too, but then you start to choke the tubes and lose tone.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
ok so the volume pot thing isnt really suitable.
dont really Know if this is any help but i have a zvex fuzz factory and when im messing about i can move the stability knob with my shoe whilst playing to go from like a fuzz to wild distorted feedbacky sounds and then back to the fuzz tone.
i read the guy from muse does it or something similar and just ripped the idea from were ever i read it. its quite a cool trick in the right context.
I'm not looking to use the boss with it. I want this pedal to have its own distortion in its own right. Completely independant from the other pedals. It doesn't even have to have good distortion, the more aggressive and random the better at its extreme level. I just then want to be able to bring that down manually so I can get a cleanish tone as well. Is this impossible to build?
Not totally no, if you specify it doesn't need to be a good distortion, then I could knock one up easily. But you'll probably want something that has some kind of tone, and that'd take a little longer.

And to be perfectly honest, I don't have the time to be building pedals anyway, I could design one, but not build. One that takes it from practically white noise all the way down to clean yeah? Like I said, I can design one, but it won't sound amazing because of the range it has to cover.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
It doesn't have to sound amazing. The more aggressive at the extreme end the better. Even to the point that it isn't musical. I just want to then be able to manually change that sound so I can then get a cleanish tone.
Then yeah, like I said above, it'd be easy to design. But I don't see why you'd want something like that :S

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
It's for a specific part I've written. I've tried everything else, I just can't see how else I can get. Do you know of any normal stomp box that can get that messed up sound?
Quote by jimmybob24
cant you just use the guitars volume pot with the amp ala angus young.
turn it up the amp will break up turn it down for a cleaner sound saves buying a pedal and is a cool technique to learn/have under your belt.
thats presuming you have a valve amp tho.

I do that with my SS, you don't need t00bs.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
You could use the guitars volume pot down, though it doesn't work as nicely as it could.

Installing a treble bleed cap will do wonders. It makes the travel much smoother and gradual. Plus, no loss of high end when you turn it down. Here's a guide:
http://projectguitar.com/tut/potm.htm

The guy who plays for Alice Cooper uses a volume pedal to go from clean to dirty.