Hi,

I have tried to search, but 1st off struggled to make it work, then couldn't find an answer. So here goes...

I'm in the market for a 50W combo. The band I play in is a punk/punk-rock band. My budget probably maxes out at about £400. I'm trying to decide between a new DSL401, or diving into ebay to pick up an 800 or 900 combo.

I know a lot of people think punk doesn't need any particular tone etc. (thanks in advance for your flaming), but I'm basically looking to find a sound similar to that you can here on Dookie (think opening few bars of Welcome to Paradise) or Out Come the Wolves (both of which I know came through the same modded Super Lead).

I hear people saying the JCM2000 is fizzy and has too much gain, other people say the 900 is great. Others make out the 800 is the ONLY good JCM series. I'm unsure whether the sound I'm hearing on those records is "fizzy", high-gain etc. so this advice goes slightly over my head.

Does anyone have an opinion on which of the JCM series would be the best option? Would I be better off getting the DSL401 new and having a warranty...or getting a 900 combo cheaper on ebay and saving some cash to spend on new tubes? Or just hold out for an 800 because they're better...?

Thanks for any advice
Last edited by njhux at Mar 2, 2008,
From what i can gather, the 900 loks like the one for you....
The DSL series isn't too highly regarded round here, and i think the 800 is the best in some people's eyes, but may have too much of a classic rock gain for your needs, so the 900 would be best
I'm looking at getting a 900 as my next amp, but undecided so far Hope that helps
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
but rancid done and out come the wolves they use the same modded amp wtf?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
id say the dsl...listen to my clips of the jcm 900 on my profile...its quite deep and heavy...modern...but not quite modern enough for punk rock i think...

Dsl when i tried it sounded better for that sorta stuff
Quote by rancidryan
but rancid done and out come the wolves they use the same modded amp wtf?

They used the same amp as Green Day did. Belonged to the producer
Quote by Sora 01
id say the dsl...listen to my clips of the jcm 900 on my profile...its quite deep and heavy...modern...but not quite modern enough for punk rock i think...

Dsl when i tried it sounded better for that sorta stuff

I'm not sure how modern the sounds I talked about are. This is where I get confused. People talk of punk rock being a modern sound, but I know they just used an old Super Lead head and no effects...
^ Because they're mistaken.

Personally, I'd wanna JCM-800, but I think I play heavier punk then you.
Although, the 800 is also the one most likely to be able to clean up the closest to a plexi-type sound.

PS: Punk doesn't demand a particular tone, sounding like certain bands however does.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Well I own a JCM900 and it can do those sounds pretty well and in my opinion is the most versatile of the 3 (hence why I bought it). The clean channel is great, very warm sounding and if you crank the gain up on it a bit you get a decent sounding crunchy type tone. As for the lead channel if you're into punk it'll have plenty of gain for you, some people say it's too high-gain for certain things but that is what the gain knob is for.

Btw if it's just a 50W combo you're after I shouldn't think you'd have to save money for new tubes, you should have some left over, I mean my JCM900 was £375 and it's the 100W one so the 50W is much cheaper.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
the dsl would be fine for it.

I used it while I was in a punk band and it sounded ace.

You can usually find a JCM 900 at that price and I think they are better.
Thanks for that stuff guys. I'm thinking an 800 would be the ideal, but might be out of my price range. I guess it's then a question of whether the 900 or 2000 would be the best imitator.

I'm not sure how much of a modern sound I'm trying to imitate. I think most of the bands whose sound I like did/do use old Marshall heads and get their distortion through the amp, not effects. Hence looking for a JCM800 for that sort of sound...
That's an amp I haven't looked in to. Cheers i'll check it out.

So is the general consensus that if I could find one, the JCM 800 would do the tone I talked about best...but that the 900 wouldn't be too far off? With the 2000 in 3rd place.

My main problem is that I don't know anyone with a JCM800, so if I did buy one off ebay it might well be unheard, similar if I go second hand with a 900....don't know of any guitar shops with one I could try out first. Buying an amp without hearing it is a bit of a worry...
as for the dsl not being highly regarded around here, i wouldnt listen to those people too much. I have a dsl 50 watt half stack and i love it. ive been playing for many years and it sounds great to me. However tone is subjective too all people. It depends on what you consider punk I guess. Pop Punk? Ex Sum 41 Guitarist Dave (forget his last name) used to use the dsl 50 all the time. Harder "real" punk, it can do those too. Remember that you need to spend time using the EQ to dial in the sound you want. It can take some time, but once you get it, you'll know it.
Quote by cmakkidguitar
From what i can gather, the 900 loks like the one for you....
The DSL series isn't too highly regarded round here, and i think the 800 is the best in some people's eyes, but may have too much of a classic rock gain for your needs, so the 900 would be best
I'm looking at getting a 900 as my next amp, but undecided so far Hope that helps

Do ittt...Do iiit...Do it.

It can do it, buy it.
High as tits
I'm getting the feeling any of these amps would probably serve me well enough.

I guess my new question is....should I buy a new amp, or an old used amp?

New amp comes with a warranty I guess, but is that worth extra cash? If I get the used amp cheaper, how much do I need to budget for biasing, re-tubing, servicing etc.? I've done a search, but can't find any figures in £'s.
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Do ittt...Do iiit...Do it.

It can do it, buy it.

Haha, its on my shortlist
Its either that or a Laney VC/LC
Are the cleans indie-worthy would you say? I just picture a Marshall being too gritty for my softer indie side of playing.....
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...