Hi there peoplez i've been playing guitar for quite sometime and played in a few bands but none of the bands thus far have ever needed me to sing and play at the same time. Now that i am quite confident in my stage presence and my guitar ability i really want to just go and do my own thing and make my own music. But there lies one problem i can not sing and play guitar at the same time unless i'm playing simple chords that follow a very simple beat, but most of the guitar riffs i write are on the not so simple beat side. Anyway i really just wanted to get some advice from some of you guys on maybe some tips on how to play and sing at the same time, perhaps some exercises, etc,etc thanks for the help and as always Rock On!!
I'm proud because I can play and sing "Disposable Heroes" by Metallica. You try and do that.

To work on mixing up vocals & guitar, try "All My Life" by the Foo Fighters, just the intro bit. It took me a while, but I found it beneficial...
Quote by filthandfury
Radiohead.

What?
Quote by death101
ok heres the very sad deal i was wondering if there was any girls who love guitar and music
on here who live in california who are willing to go out with me
not a clue i spose its a talent you pick up i cant at the moment but im trying just play songs and remeber timings
Got Jah ??
Quote by Powerhouse
Nirvana is awesome!

Fixed.
Quote by death101
ok heres the very sad deal i was wondering if there was any girls who love guitar and music
on here who live in california who are willing to go out with me
Know the songs perfectly.

Know it so well you can instantly say which words you should be singing when you play each note on the guitar.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I can do it but I'm not that good yet so it's not like keeping my mouth shut is gonna make me sound any better.
MY GEAR
Bella
Ibanez Gio
Cube-20X
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Adz2706
the worst ive seen is a guy kick this other guy in the head repeatedly and had to be taken to hospital in a helicopter

Who the hell would build a Hospital inside of a Helicopter?
Oh I can play guitar and sing at the same time, But I can't sing alone.
鋼の錬金術師
Try both parts separately and then when confident combine. That's what I do when I'm learning a hard piece on the piano.
Peace.
I think it's similar to any other skill that you have to develop. I thought I would never, ever be able to sing while playing, but last month I was playing and all of a sudden I cam to the realization that I could sing at the same time. At first it was a little rough but I worked at it and I'm getting better.

Now if only my voice didn't suck so, so badly.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
in reality, you need to know the song absolutely perfectly both lyric wise and guitar wise

then it should click...but with practice

personally If I'm covering a song I

1-listen to the song till I know it perfectly
2-strum along with the song, finding the rhythm and were changes come in
3-hum along with the lyrics of the song while playing
4-start coming in at points in the song I'm comfortable that I know I can play and sing
5-build up until it all falls into place

not saying its easy, it can take a while depending on the song, but like with anything practice enough and you can do it
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Last edited by wiggy1988 at Mar 2, 2008,
Try to just sing in your head while playing at first. Then try to sing out loud while playing. It worked for me.
allright thanks for the advice everyone thank god i read passed the idiot from the first post obviously he needs to broden his music horizons but thank you all very much for the advice.
as always Rock On
For the Male populace,....

I regularly stick up for you guys when in a female conversation where "Ladies" (and I used the term loosely) insist on maintaining that men cannot multitask

Singing and playing guitar is one of the greatest multitask feats for anyone whether they're male, female, black or blue. I can only do it on some songs so I have great respect for anyone who can do it.
Hey Bush Slayer -

I understand where you're coming from. Obviously Dreadnought failed to understand that you were trying to say that just playing guitar is easy RELATIVE TO playing and singing at the same time.

I'm no expert musician but it seems to me that easiest to hardest would be as follows:
  • Easiest - Just sing or just play guitar
  • Harder - Play rhythm guitar and sing
  • Even Harder - Play lead guitar and sing (meaning playing riffs at the same time as singing)
  • Hardest - Play the drums and sing. Of course this isn't so bad with simple beats but how about the dude in Atreyu?
From what I've seen in many metal and hard rock bands, when the lead guitarist sings, they tend to play lead fills between lines and solos between verses. Then, while singing lines, they are playing chords or dimpler progressions. When writing, you just have to set up the song so you're not doing the hard lick while singing. Besides - even with a separate lead guitarist and singer, the hard riff are usually not during the singing since the leads and singing would be competing with each other.

Good luck!
Just start out playing everything really slow. Then just work up speed, with a metronome.

It should be just like practicing anything else musically.
The.
Quote by blackenedktulu
I'm proud because I can play and sing "Disposable Heroes" by Metallica. You try and do that.

To work on mixing up vocals & guitar, try "All My Life" by the Foo Fighters, just the intro bit. It took me a while, but I found it beneficial...

God, I wish I could PLAY Disposable Heroes......I can sing and play a few songs but my singing sucks and I need to play along with the song to do it....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Im in the process of learning how do that, Metallica songs are great for practise but trying to play riffs in irregular metres and sing over the top is really hard....
clapton, hendrix.. cobain...

old blues artists.. jazz

expand your mind before you think everyones as crap as you
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Anyone can play guitar??

What about a guy with no fingers?
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
I can play and sing Ride The Lightning...at least the main "dunu-dunu.....dunu-dunu..." part. And I can play and sing all of Chop Suey!, and most Static-X songs.

I'd say learn songs by Metallica (the James Hetfield parts), Nirvana, System Of A Down, etc. Once you get the guitar parts, then start singing.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX