I fingerpick (mostly steel string acoustic.) with just the tips of my fingers, I don't use nails or those weird plectrum things. I have calouses on my fingertips and my thumb from playing all the time however when I really build up speed, Lindsey buckingham style the notes seem to loose brightness and merge into one another like a mush of sound. When playing slow the tone is pretty bright, at least on the higher 3 strings, the 3 bass strings sound more bassy than they do bright. I've tried growing my nails and it just doesn't work for me so how would do I sound "brighter" to make the individual notes more disginuisable when played very fast? Are they're any strings I could try? I'm using medium martins at the moment.
Try switching to a lighter gauge. Growing your fingernails and using them correctly is tough but once you learn it can take you a long way.

So, I know you said it didn't work for you but I'd like to urge you to try again. So a few tips: You're nails needn't and shouldn't be too long. Growing them for a week should be more then enough. They should be properly filed every other day at an angle to produce an edge on your nails that will let them slide off the string(instead of hooking them). Plus maybe some super extra fine-grade sandpaper to smooth them off.

It's the only way I know of to get those bass strings sounding brighter and your faster playing from becoming muffled.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
I'd agree - I fought the nail thing for quite a while, but you don't have to have long nails like you see classical guitarists have - just a little bit will add that brightness you are missing - you still play with your fingertips, but the flick of the nail as you're coming off the string adds a lot. Keep them filed as described above and you'll find they are not hard to maintain, and they don't have to be "freakishly long".
I play electric with my finger nails as well so would they not becmoe damaged? I'll try growing them. Last time i grew them the thumb was ok but the attack of the fingers is at the wrong angle for nails i think.

Will my playing become faster as well as brighter with nails?
Quote by BellBoy
I play electric with my finger nails as well so would they not becmoe damaged? I'll try growing them. Last time i grew them the thumb was ok but the attack of the fingers is at the wrong angle for nails i think.

Will my playing become faster as well as brighter with nails?

definitely brighter...but faster is up to you. The more you file your nails at an angle, it promotes a thicker growth of the nail. So you shouldn't have any trouble with steel string acoustic or electric.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Will I have to change my hand position, or is it that the nails will glide over the strings after I pick them using the same flesh as I do at the moment?