I've owned a marshall mg50 for a long time now and... well obviously I need to upgrade because I just can't get a nice sound from it .

As for what kind of sound I'm looking for, is a bluesy sound with a little bit of bite for example Buckethead on 'too many humans' is about right. I play like Guns n' roses type stuff too if it helps.

Never had a tube amp so I am a bit of a n00b! Help appreciated much, thanks!
Last edited by iqigo at Mar 2, 2008,
Well, what's your budget, and what kind of guitar are you gonna play through it?
Will you be mainly using it for metal, rock, blues, cleans, etc.?
And what other tones are you looking for (I don't listen to buckethead)?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Umm probably about $800 not sure though, i'm saving up for when I have my eyes on one. I use my Epi SG
Mainly, I play rock, blues and a little metal but I don't really need shedloads of gain.
fender hot rods wont cover the metal aspect but will cover the rest very nicely.

EDIT - get an overdrive pedal with the fender then you'll be sorted

otherwise you are looking at a marshall, the valvestate range are impressive
valvestate? They're hybrid but if they sound good i'm not too fussed?
I've heard good things about the valveking but I'm not sure.
yea its a hybrid, but as long as the tubes are in the power section then it will be brilliant. dont get it if the tubes are in the preamp section. its like tube distortion pedals - needless if you have power tubes somewhere else in the chain
Are valvestates easy to find in stores? I thought they were replaced by the AVT series which isn't so good (i think)
Quote by iqigo
valvestate? They're hybrid but if they sound good i'm not too fussed?
I've heard good things about the valveking but I'm not sure.

They sound meh at best. Theirs better for the price as they are over-priced to hell.

Check out this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rivera-Pubster-25-Watt-1x10-Combo-Amp?sku=486323

VERY good amps. Plenty loud for you and great amp over-all.
which is ok at best, valveking or valvestate?
- the rivera has interested me though, would it be hard to find it in shop or something to try out?
I think a valveking head and cabinet seems a good idea, definitely sounds good enough for me. The XXX is a little over-budget!
Still open to suggestions, what would be a good cheap cab to go with a valveking100?
I'm sure you can save $30!
The XXX is easily more than £15 better than the VK.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
I'm sure you can save $30!
The XXX is easily more than £15 better than the VK.

+ A billion
The XXX is sexier looking too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Oh, I can get the valveking head for £299 in a local shop but i can't find the XXX, how much is the XXX head? I think they're both pretty cool in terms of looks though .
Fender Blues Junior with a boost pedal like a micro amp would sound really nice
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'm going to toss a Traynor YCV50 Blue into the mix. Very Marshall-y sounding amp.

Around how much would it cost?
Thats quite good , if i can find one to try out would be great...
Could I get a good cab for £300, because then the valveking head and a cab would cost the same as the traynor.
No the ebay store delivers for £14.50 so its still £614.49
I can't find a peavey XXX, so it's either the valveking (and cab that's around £300) or the traynor blue. Hard to choose!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Post in the Amp Q&A thread about the Traynor. Dunno how much they cost in the UK, but Dave_Mc would know.

Why not the Valveking combo?

Yeah. You don't need a stack.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If i had to choose a cab, i'd go for the traynor, a valveking half stack i've realised costs around £530.
Would a head with 4x12 cab have much difference in volume to a combo?
EDIT - the head has more tubes, does that affect the sound much?
Last edited by iqigo at Mar 2, 2008,
I would highly recommend the PEAVEY CLASSIC 50 212. Bluesy and crunch for Rock and Roll
thanks guys, ima try out a peavey valve king and maybe buy one when i get the money ^^
Last edited by iqigo at Sep 24, 2009,