With Phrygian Dominant being the V mode of the Harmonic Minor scale, will it be B Phrygian Dominant for E Harmonic Minor?
Come know me in a different light, come know me as God.
Yay!

Edit: Seeing as how you have exactly the same notes for E Harmonic Minor and B Phrygian Dominant, how exactly will it affect my playing?
Come know me in a different light, come know me as God.
Last edited by TheWilling at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by TheWilling
Yay!

Edit: Seeing as how you have exactly the same notes for E Harmonic Minor and B Phrygian Dominant, how exactly will it affect my playing?

that depends on what you are playing!

If you are playing E minor then it will be E Harmonic Minor, if you are playing over B7 or B7b9 then it will be B Phrygian Dominant.

The mode depends on the chord.
The most common use of the Phrygian Dominant scale is in an Am G F E progression, though it could be any key. Over the Am, G, and F chords, A Aeolian is the appropriate scale. However, when E is played, A Harmonic Minor/E Phrygian Dominant (think of it however you want, it doesn't really matter) is the appropriate scale.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The most common use of the Phrygian Dominant scale is in an Am G F E progression, though it could be any key. Over the Am, G, and F chords, A Aeolian is the appropriate scale. However, when E is played, A Harmonic Minor/E Phrygian Dominant (think of it however you want, it doesn't really matter) is the appropriate scale.

I would argue that if the progression is resolving to A, you're still playing A harmonic minor.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.