I got the peavey jsx mini collosal yesterday... and honestly i hated it : it could only play clean, not the tones i would want...

I've done some researching a long while ago, and i came across the peavey jsx mini colossal, nothing else looked as attractive as that one (low voltage, promoted by joe satriani). Low voltage cause it's for bedroom use, and i like the type of music joe satriani plays.

Now my question is, what amp should i get? I'd like it if it were a valve amp preferably low voltage, since it's for bedroom use only, an amp that gives you that heavy metal sound like kiko loureiro, angra or megadeth but also the tunes of paul gilbert and joe satriani...

I've already looked at the following : Orange tiny terror, Epiphone valve jr. and off course the peavey jsx mini collosal, and nothing seemed to be my cup of tea
Last edited by mic585 at Mar 2, 2008,
Crate Palamino V8, its like 5 watts, and its easy to transport, plus its a tube amp so u can get some really good distortion out of it
one more thing, i'd like it too if i could get the tone just from the amp, i mean i wanna get some sort of metal out of the amp itself, i may buy a pedal afterwards but i'd like it if the amp could generate some metal tone on it's own
What other kinds of music do you play?

A Tiny Terror should be able to do just about anything with an OD.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
You say you have a mini colossal? Have you tried really cranking it and turning the volume on your guitar up all the way?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by callum2903
get a ****

*reported* for spam.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i cranked it full , it made a little more distorted sound yea but nowhere near what i was looking for , it was even too clean for acdc songs...

to give you an idea what kind of tone i'd like :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--TYp43PVgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIzmmSSqZzQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAtYPQduIHo

if you need more vids just tell me
Last edited by mic585 at Mar 2, 2008,
i have the line 6 30 watts transistor amp now, and i play on the insane option 24/7 maybe once and a while on clean to play some other songs (like day at the beach by satriani) i NEVER use the crunch or metal option , the metal option isn't my kind of thing, i like the heavy metal kind of tone
Did you even try it before buying it?
Watch this Joe explains just about everything you need to know about the amp with the Mini Colossal song.

EDIT: Link fixed
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Last edited by SurfinWithSatch at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by SSL27
What other kinds of music do you play?

A Tiny Terror should be able to do just about anything with an OD.

I'm pretty sure he said metal. The TT's gain is too loose for the tone I think of when I hear "metal".
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Did you even try it before buying it?
Watch this Joe explains just about everything you need to know about the amp with the Mini Colossal song.

Link broken, mate, that's the one from your tube thread.

TS, give it a few days, at least. Please.
that was the problem with the amp i searched the shops near me , not a single one had one in stock to try out, but i dont need your lecture about testing before you buy, i need a list of amps i need to try , so far i have the Palomino V8 and the Microcube
, i accidently typed in microtube when looking on youtube for the microcube, god that thing just has the kind of sound i'd like , what do you guys think bout that amp? i'll need to buy a cabinet to go with it though, but my budget is around 700 quid
Hey! Wait just a cotton-picking minute here. The JSX has wonderful classic/hard rock tones; I've played some pretty good ac/dc stuff on it myself. With high output pups, I've even heard it get into metal territory. I think you should put some more thought into this; it's a spectacular amp, in my humble opinion.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
that's the thing : i dont like acdc, i mean i like their songs, but i dont like to play it (too boring for me) i've seen several people's reactions that it's too expensive for what it is, i think i can get more my kind of think with that amount of money, i want an amp that gives me that heavy metal sound...
honestly, for low volume practicing, i'd look at ss amps rather than low-watt tube amps. You'll get more outta it plus they're cheaper to pick up. Then if you actually need to get something bigger thats when you get a tube amp.